Thread: helping friend with a 3 y head gasket

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    87 cargo tv

helping friend with a 3 y head gasket

Hey everybody.
    a good friend of mine has an 85 van with a 3y engine. a while back i was helping him replace the leaky fuel dampener and when i looked in the coolant res. it was clear he had a bigger issue since it was all milky in there. started to pull it a part yesterday and i started to look through all my notes to help him out with his shopping list. Then i realized that its likely that all the part #s are likely different since i have a 4y.
    i found the 3y headgasket kit part #. what else is different? Thermostat, injector connectors, exhaust studs, etc?

been trying to search around but was hoping someone could just send me a link.

Thanks.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    87 cargo tv

Re: helping friend with a 3 y head gasket

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: helping friend with a 3 y head gasket

Getting the 3y gasket kit is the biggest thing (I think the only difference is the intake/exhaust gasket & the plenum gasket). All the injector connectors are same as 84 - 87. Thermostat & exhaust studs are the same for all years of the van (3y & 4y). There are other slight differences on the 3y, but nothing that will affect doing a head gasket (at least nothing i can think of). Tim