Thread: pull the injectors while doing head gasket?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    87 cargo tv

pull the injectors while doing head gasket?

Hey there, im a friend of Niko Gomez here in pittsburgh and hes helping me with my head gasket switcheroo after the success you all helped him with. Im about to put the machined head back on and im having a hard time deciding about the injectors. I was having power and gas mileage issues before the gasket went and i know that the injectors could be a culprit...but man am i low on funds and time and knowhow....can anyone tell me how much more work im looking at with pulling the injectors? i know its about 70 bucks in parts? advice? existing discussion you could refer me to? thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: pull the injectors while doing head gasket?

Here's a quote from another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    I know in the earlier post I said "avoid removing injectors"........but a little more experience with high mileage vans with ageing injectors has changed my opinion. As of my last job involving injectors I now strongly recommend removing your injectors and having them cleaned/tested by a professional. When it comes to the Portland Oregon area I can't say enough good things about Dr Injector in Gladstone. For $20 each he will clean & test your injectors. He has an amazing collection of specialized equipment specifically for this purpose. The $20 includes initial testing with documented results, cleaning, and retesting. The testing includes spray pattern inspection, flow rates, and internal/external leak tests. When he's done he will install new plastic liners on the tip of the injectors and install new o-rings on them (all included in the $20 fee). You will also get a print-out of your injectors' performance . FYI, you would still need to purchase the large injector basket o-rings separately.

Sometimes I'm too busy to drive down there so I'll just put the injectors in a box and mail them to him. When he's done he'll give me a call to get my credit card info & he'll ship them back. His name is Wayne and his contact info is: Doctor Injector 610 E 1st St, Gladstone OR 97027. Cell# 503-513-5070 Shop# 503-786-0700. Tell him Tim from Tim's RV sent you!
    If you click on the little blue box right after my name (in the above quote), it will take you to the original post. Once there you'll find more information and other links. If you have the injector work done, and a problem still exists AFTER you get the van back together, at least you will know it's not the injectors and you can move on with other troubleshooting. If you don't do it, then you may be kicking yourself. Considering the work involved to do later and the age of things, it's just a good idea. As to the work, the only way to pull injectors is with the top half of the intake manifold & the fuel rail removed. For a seasoned tech, this job will take the better part of a day (not including down time waiting for injectors). Whatever you decide........Good luck! Tim