Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Van down! What's this part?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Van down! What's this part?

Clear codes, drive it some more & recheck codes. If #51 comes back you most likely have a bad TPS. These are a common failed part on the van. If it's got more than 150k miles on it or if you don't know how old it is, then I'd just replace. Testing these per the manual is a somewhat involved process. I'm not saying he didn't do it right, but it's hard to imagine your average mechanic going to this much effort (it would be hard to do with the throttle body installed). Even if he did do everything right, when these get old they become intermittent. Bottom line? For a $35 part it's not worth messing with. I replace these like some people replace spark plugs. If I'm doing a tune-up and I see code 51, I won't even mess around with trying to clean or whatever. Just replace it and be done with it . Tim

PS: If it's newer and you know it's got less than 100k miles on it, then perhaps it's worth a little more consideration. But for me, my time is more valuable than messing with a questionable TPS. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 2WD Toyota Van LE - "donkey" 1989 4WD Toyota Van LE

thanks, tim. i'm going to do it. i see that the part on 1sttoyotaparts.com is almost $70 and on rockauto.com is $32 (beck/arnley). that's a big difference. is it worth spending the extra bux for the toyota part?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I used to think so, but a while back www.rockauto.com had one of their "closeout" sales and I picked-up "the last 6" of the Beck Arnley #1580503 units for $18 each. Of course they weren't the last 6 (but were certainly the last 6 I've seen at that price). I took the cover off the 1st one and inspected before installation (thought it looked good). These Beck Arnley units are made in Italy (not sure if that matters) & appear to be of high quality. That was about 4 years ago and I've since used them all (and then some) on different vans I've worked on. I just ordered another one last week (sucked having to pay ~$35 for it), but it's a lot better than $70 something from Toyota. Unless these aftermarket ones start dropping dead, I'm not buying any more from Toyota. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

hi tim - i'm back. i finally got the TPS and am taking the van in on monday to get it replaced. in the meantime, however...since yesterday, in fact...a strong smell of gasoline developed in the passenger compartment. i had a small amount of gas in a can in the back for my lawnmower, so i thought maybe it had toppled over. it had not and it didn't really smell of gas. i looked in the engine compartment and i didn't see anything obvious, but i'm smart enough to know this could be a dangerous situation. got any ideas? should i even risk driving it a mile to my mechanic? anything i can do to keep it from spontaneously lighting on fire? ugh.

thanks,
    kestrel

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Your FPD (Fuel Pulsation Damper) is the most likely place for a fuel leak (see picture below).

There are multiple other places as well. The only way to find out is to open the hood and inspect for leaks while the fuel system is active. To reduce the fire hazard, I recommend activating the fuel system by placing a jumper wire in the "Fuel pump test connector". When a a jumper wire is placed between these terminals the fuel system will become active when the ignition switch is turned to "run" (engine not running).

As for the risk of driving even a mile, your risk, your decision. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

thanks, tim. i wasn't able to see any obvious leaks and the FPD is pretty dirty (i.e. no solvent cleaning it up), so no obvious signs there either of leaking. i didn't even smell gas with the jumper and "run" in place. as you know, the ground is too wet today to observe drippy-type leakage. i guess i'll find some cardboard to shove under there. short of all that, i'm going to take her to a new mechanic. the one who did the engine, while reasonably priced for service, puts very little effort into the area of diagnostics. guess i'll fork out the big bucks. if you have any other ideas, as always, i'm very grateful.

warm regards,
    kestrel

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

hey y'all (and tim) - just an update that i was able to see a dripping leak from below. little puddle slightly driver's side of midline, about parallel to the back of the (front) tire. took her in and, on quick look, suspects a leak in the line. we'll see soon enough. thanks!
    Last edited by kestrel; 04-28-2014 at 08:53 PM.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Sounds like the FPR or maybe an injector. Either way this will suck for labor on a 4wd van. Good luck. Tim