Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Need new front shocks '87 4wd

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 Master Ace Surf 4wd

Re: Need new front shocks '87 4wd

Quote Originally Posted by Carbonized View Post
    Where the torsion bars cranked all the way with the KYB's? How much lift are you set at now?
    I don't know what the lift was at with the KYB's, maybe 1.5 inches over stock? I would guess I'm at about 2 inches over stock right now. Just high enough to fit 215-75R15's with very minimal rubbing.

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

That feels about right, these series 4600 are made for the 2" lift , I wish we could get some feed back from someone driving on them at stock ride height. I bet they'd throw your denture out on compression. I need to get myself some Sammy's and 15" A/T shoes!! Something I was trying to avoid .
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5spd

They definitely felt better on my short but bumpy tarmac ride. Granted, they replaced some not that old, but pretty much shot Gabriel Ultra's i put in when I got the van. T-bars are turned up for some lift to clear the 205/75/15 General Grabbers

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota 4wd Cargo Van

I bought some brand called SenSen off of Amazon for the front and rear... The fronts are for a Dakota/ Durango, and the rears are for a Tacoma.

I have yet to install them but the price was right, all four under a hundresd bux! They are basic oem style and hopefully well suited for the little van.

Won't be able to report back on thm for quite a while though sadly... but as soon as I can get around to installing them, I will give an honest review!!!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD 5-Speed LE

I just ordered the Durango Bilsteins #24-185233 since people are happy with them (and the Tacoma Bilsteins on the back really transformed my handling, hoping these will do the same for the front.)

However, I think it's worth noting that these are not for the lifted version of the Durango as implied earlier in this thread. The spec for 24-185233 is 14.49" extended/9.52" compressed, which is very close to the specs I am seeing for the shocks listed for our 4wd vans on Rockauto (Gabriels are 14.5 extended/9.7 compressed, Monroes are 14.3/9.25).

The shock for the lifted Durango is 16.9" extended, 11.4" compressed, which I think would be much too long for our vans, even with the torsion bars maxed out. Just wanted to make sure no one accidentally orders a different brand shock for the lifted Durango like I almost did... because dang those Bilsteins are expensive!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van 2wd

Pulled the shocks from an 89 2wd and 2000 Durango at the junkyard. Kyb shocks are from the Durango and look to be the same size base size as the stock Toyota shocks. Lengthwise is the difference.