Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Need new front shocks '87 4wd

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 Master Ace Surf 4wd

Re: Need new front shocks '87 4wd

Quote Originally Posted by Carbonized View Post
    Where the torsion bars cranked all the way with the KYB's? How much lift are you set at now?
    I don't know what the lift was at with the KYB's, maybe 1.5 inches over stock? I would guess I'm at about 2 inches over stock right now. Just high enough to fit 215-75R15's with very minimal rubbing.

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

That feels about right, these series 4600 are made for the 2" lift , I wish we could get some feed back from someone driving on them at stock ride height. I bet they'd throw your denture out on compression. I need to get myself some Sammy's and 15" A/T shoes!! Something I was trying to avoid .
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5spd

They definitely felt better on my short but bumpy tarmac ride. Granted, they replaced some not that old, but pretty much shot Gabriel Ultra's i put in when I got the van. T-bars are turned up for some lift to clear the 205/75/15 General Grabbers

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota 4wd Cargo Van

I bought some brand called SenSen off of Amazon for the front and rear... The fronts are for a Dakota/ Durango, and the rears are for a Tacoma.

I have yet to install them but the price was right, all four under a hundresd bux! They are basic oem style and hopefully well suited for the little van.

Won't be able to report back on thm for quite a while though sadly... but as soon as I can get around to installing them, I will give an honest review!!!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD 5-Speed LE

I just ordered the Durango Bilsteins #24-185233 since people are happy with them (and the Tacoma Bilsteins on the back really transformed my handling, hoping these will do the same for the front.)

However, I think it's worth noting that these are not for the lifted version of the Durango as implied earlier in this thread. The spec for 24-185233 is 14.49" extended/9.52" compressed, which is very close to the specs I am seeing for the shocks listed for our 4wd vans on Rockauto (Gabriels are 14.5 extended/9.7 compressed, Monroes are 14.3/9.25).

The shock for the lifted Durango is 16.9" extended, 11.4" compressed, which I think would be much too long for our vans, even with the torsion bars maxed out. Just wanted to make sure no one accidentally orders a different brand shock for the lifted Durango like I almost did... because dang those Bilsteins are expensive!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van 2wd

Pulled the shocks from an 89 2wd and 2000 Durango at the junkyard. Kyb shocks are from the Durango and look to be the same size base size as the stock Toyota shocks. Lengthwise is the difference.

My Van(s):
    1988 LE 4WD

Has anyone replaced their front shocks recently on their 4wd?

Looking for OEM spec; my bars are only about 0.5" up over stock height. So far I've found some cheap Monroes and.... rebranded Monroes (NAPA). None of that sounds enticing.

thanks!

My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 5 speed dlx 1987 4x4 5 speed cargo 1987 4x4 5 speed LE 1987 2wd 5 speed cargo conversion 1989 2wd auto cargo parts van

ive tried quite a few different shocks, the monroes are trash dont waste your money, Ranchos non gas charged were pretty bad too, ive had best luck with kyb monotube(silver) and now have 2000 durango 4x4 kyb monomax 565043(red) shocks up front and i like them the best so far, they really help calm down any pogoing/bouncing on my fairly heavily loaded 87 4x4.that gets quite a bit of offroad driving. these were used from the junkyard and ive read some others reviews that stated they were kinda stiff when new but broke in...if youre not loaded and doing alot of offroad the regular silver monotube kybs might be a better choice.
    Last edited by boogieman; 10-10-2021 at 08:33 PM.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

For 4WD the way to go is Durango Bilsteins #24-185233
    Space Cruisers - Cruising Across The Galaxy

My Van(s):
    1988 LE 4WD

No issues w. grinding em down/basic modification to fit them but do yinz think those bilsteins or KYBs would be a good choice for a half inch over stock height w no actual lift?

With the van having a whole 4 inches of travel I worry abt limiting the up travel of the system with these and/or getting a harsh ride from the rebound. I know next to nothing abt shocks/sus but seems to me if the taller Durango shock is performing the way it was designed to you are skipping to the second inch or two of compression profile. I'd guess that the first 25% or so of the shock is designed to be smooth/soft and dampen the little bumps. Maybe this effect is lessened by the shock being compressed at rest and the hydraulics balancing out? Does any of this probable nonsense I'm rambling play out irl?

Performance wise I think either of these, or any hi qual monotube, would be superior but the van already grips the road very well and handles tight with the new rubber and corrected front stance. Front squatting/pogo action on large bumps seem to be gone now and, amazingly, the either oem or possibly napa sold monroes up front that I presume are toast are providing a perfectly adequate ride atm. I'd hate to go and ruin christmas by installing something that's, ironically, too high performance. That kind of damping definitely keeps you glued and tightens everything up at speed in corners but equates to an overly wild ride ime w. other vehicles on washboard and such which only leads to less control in the end.

Might be a hard choice btwn oem matched garb and slightly ill fit/overkill good front shocks....it's not exactly hard to just swap out garbo oem style as they fail....

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

if you want to play it safe and save a few bucks (and have no lift), I'd just put in the Monroe's. You'll get the OE specs and performance and they're not too bad to swap out when they go bad. For me with the torsion lift the Durango's immensely helped tame the buck (it still wasn't great but much less jarring) over the totally shot OE's that were in there when I bought the van.
    Space Cruisers - Cruising Across The Galaxy

My Van(s):
    1988 LE 4WD

Thanks! It's how I'm leaning. Found OEMs on partsouq though for not much, $130 shipped. If nobody has anything local I'm going to double check in the am for other bushes, etc. I need and put an order in.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    JDM CM40G-MXSX LiteAce 4WD 5MT 2C-T

I'm waiting on an order for OEM's to ship from MegaZip's UAE warehouse. I'll let you know if they fit!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 MasterAce Surf Grand Saloon 2CT Auto 4x4

Hello all! I've got some Bilstein 24-185233's I'm going to be installing in the front.

For those who have installed these, did you grind down the lower mount sleeve while it was still inside the shock mount, or did you take the sleeve and bushing out of the Bilstein?

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

If the Ace is the same set up, the detailed answer is Post #74 of this tread.
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 MasterAce Surf Grand Saloon 2CT Auto 4x4

That's good info! I take it you ground the spacer down while it was still in the shock?

I think I'd want to take the spacer and bushing out first so I don't run a risk of chewing into the shock itself.

My Van(s):

I don't know how you intend to dislodge the bushing (Hydraulic Press?) it's in there pretty tight. The spacer is fused to the rubber, that is why I went slow and cooled it down every 30 second or so. I used an angle grinder and do not remember getting even close to the body of the shock. Just don't go caveman on it, you,ll be fine.
    LG.