Thread: Toyota 4Y Carburettor Engine Not Idling Well

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    None

Toyota 4Y Carburettor Engine Not Idling Well

Hey guys, recently, I did an engine swap on my Jeep Cherokee XJ and fitted it with a Toyota 4Y Carb engine, I have not driven the car a lot. But the engine does not seem to idle well. I adjusted the jets on the carburettor and even the idling screw, but when the engine runs for a while the idling goes high, when the engine is cool and i start it the idling seems to be low because if i dnt step on the gas a little it'll switch off. Recently i tried starting it but even if i stepped on the gas, it would just switch off. Now i fiddled with alternator and the idling seems to have gone very high. I really need help on this one, I just cant figure out whats wrong with it. Thanks.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Toyota 4Y Carburettor Engine Not Idling Well

It sounds like a carb problem & with the exception of forklifts, we never had carbed 4y's here in the states. Perhaps a forklift tech or a member from another world market will chime in. Good luck. Tim

My Van(s):
    1987 LE 2wd capn chairs auto 1987 LE 4wd capn chairs 5speed Have owned:.......ive owned 8 other vans, i cant remember all of them sorry

Re: Toyota 4Y Carburettor Engine Not Idling Well

Dang took me long enough to see this post, eh? I dont get much experience with gasoline 4ys, im guessing it came from a forklift? If you are still looking for help post a reply