Thread: long story leading to a question

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    87 cargo tv

long story leading to a question

So as a general rule I prefer to drive around without inspection and emission stickers until i get pulled over. This time i made it about a year.
    maybe not the most honorable style but one that usually works out for me (knocking on wood currently).
    Yesterday while in traffic I saw the infamous sidecar motorcycle cop who's notorious for pulling people over for stickers. He was going the opposite direction and I knew he saw my lack of stickers on my windshield. I was in an adventurous mood and thought I'd try to duck him. I made it across the river and was pretty sure i was in the clear. He must of called out on the radio though because 10 minutes later in a different neighborhood another cop spotted me and immediately pulled me over. Oh well, he wrote me up for no inspection and let me slide on the emissions and evasion attempt. Gotta say Pittsburgh cops are not that bad.

Last night I went to my mechanic buddy to see what i need to get done to get legal. Everything was good on the safety inspection front but my emissions were off the chart. I have been getting pretty poor fuel economy lately. I don't have any codes stored so I started to poke around trying to see if I came across anything obvious. While underneath I found that the pressure regulator vacuum hose was not attached. I must missed it after the hg repair.

What would be effected by this hose not being attached? high emissions and low mpg I'm hoping.

Thanks everybody.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: long story leading to a question

You will have a small vacuum leak and the fuel pressure will be a bit high. Neither one should affect emissions much. The common big things that lead to big emissions are a bad TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) and/or a bad o2 sensor. Check your codes as either one of these should throw a code.

It would also be helpful to know more specific information about the emissions. Here's a thread that tells you where to look based on the type of emissions you have: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...o-pass-CA-smog

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    87 cargo tv

Re: long story leading to a question

just put in a new tps and followed your great video. o2 sensor was done when i did the hg and i don't have any codes????

i came across this post http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...ht=check+start

that gave me a glimmer of hope. then i kept reading.
    Last edited by inthar; 02-13-2014 at 08:55 PM.