Thread: Van won't run!

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs - Sold. Grey 1987 4wd Cargo conversion, automatic in repair mode.

Van won't run!

It has spark.
    Pretty sure the timing is on.
    I did the fuel pressure test and it's at 36-38 when cranking and holds at about 32 for at least 5 minutes. I did put in an aftermarket FPR but I'm pretty sure it's working as it should.
    I jumped the fuel pressure tester while cranking.
    I checked the injector power at the ecu and there's about 12v. But i don't think they're injecting. I tried hooking up my multi-meter to the injector clip to test for power there when cranking but didn't see anything-although my meter is finicky.
    I had them cleaned by mr. injector and he said they're good and when I install them I should use the di-electric grease on every part of them for install(that's what I remember him saying-my mind plays tricks sometimes though).

Is it possible I clogged them with di-electric grease?
    Is there a test to see if they're firing?
    Is it possible I didn't hook up the tach and it won't inject as a safety feature?

Thanks folks.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Van won't run!

Was the van running and then stopped, or is this the initial start of a newly transplanted engine?

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs - Sold. Grey 1987 4wd Cargo conversion, automatic in repair mode.

It's the initial start-up. Maybe I should put the old FPR back in to eliminate that option.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

You have adequate fuel pressure so the FPR is not the issue. I would crank it a bit (like 10 seconds), then pull a plug to see if it's wet with fuel. If it is then it's not your injector circuit. If it's dry, then that's the direction to troubleshoot. Does the compression sound normal while cranking (steady even pulses)? Have you measured compression? If so what is it? If there's a compression problem I'd suspect a camshaft timing issue or maybe an issue with the valve train clearances (valves not closing all the way). If there's fuel on the plugs and compression is good, then leave #1 plug out & use your compression gauge on #1 to find the compression stroke (crank in short bursts until you see compression start to come up). When you find the compression stroke use the timing indicator on your crankshaft pulley & position the engine to TDC (Top Dead Center). Now pull your distributor cap and verify the rotor is pointing at #1 spark plug wire contact (inside the cap). If it's off then pull the distributor & reposition as required & try again. Tim

PS: Also a good idea to crank a short burst with distributor cap off to verify rotor turns when engine cranks.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Tim,
    Thank You!!!! Thank You!!!!
    You nailed it, my timing was off-Van runs!
    I tried setting it 3 times previously but I guess I was missing the compression stroke. The compression gauge trick you said worked like a charm and it fired up real quick. The first time I swapped engines I had trouble with timing too.

I had a bunch of mishap/mistakes putting this van back together. One of the major ones was dropping a bunch of washers into the starter hole. Be careful with open spaces and working late into the night. I thought I had gotten all of them out but last night when I was joyriding I heard one bouncing around in my clutch area. When I got home I checked the weephole(if that's what it is) at the bottom of the bellhousing and it's right there-so all I have to do is separate the bell from the engine just a tad and it'll drop out.
    Amateur mechanic at my finest!

Really though thanks so much Tim and I'd like to buy you a beer or coffee or lunch for your great insight.
    -aaron.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them