Thread: Question about auto transmission shift point for a 1985 3Y.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1985 2wd

Question about auto transmission shift point for a 1985 3Y. High or normal?

Hi everyone,

I was excited to find this site. Looks like it's inhabited by nice and knowledgeable folks.

I recently acquired a 1985, automatic, 2wd van (engine 3Y, as I believe they all were that year).

The transmission seems to rev to 4,000 - 4,100 RPMS in some gears when one gives it any moderate amount of gas just driving around the city. (Not in every gear).

And, under a heavy load - going from a dead stop, up a hill to merge onto a freeway - it revs to 5,100ish RPMs. I wonder if this is normal? I know these are relatively low horsepower engines. But, I would just like to know whether this is normal parameters. Redline is 5,500.

Once on the freeway, the van cruises on 70 MPH right around 3,000ish RPMs. (65 at 2,900).

Once moving at freeway speed the van was able to take on a fairly steep freeway grade at 65 MPH, 4,000-4,100 RPMs.

I would be very appreciative of any information.

Thank you.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Question about auto transmission shift point for a 1985 3Y.

The transmission will have different shift points based on how hard you're pushing on the gas pedal. Mashed to the floor it will shift much closer to red line whereas normal driving will allow it to shift much sooner. If it's just a matter of shift points being off, this can be changed by adjusting the kick-down cable to the transmission (adjustment point is on the throttle body). If the transmission is slipping, then it's likely failing. If you can't tell if it's slipping or just not shifting at the proper shift points, my advice would be to take to a transmission shop and have them test drive it for you (most shops will do this for free). If there's a problem they should be able to identify it, or at the very least give you piece of mind. Good luck. Tim