Thread: Power Steering Pump type

My Van(s):
    87 4wd LE auto

Power Steering Pump type

I was cleaning off and removing my power steering pump (vane pump), as I was getting ready to rebuild it with the Toyota pump reseal kit (PN 04446-14040). I noticed that it was a rebuilt pump and looked worn. Before I tear into it, my question is this. Has anyone noticed a difference between the Cardone rebuilt pumps and stock Toyota pumps? I'm thinking of just getting a Cardone from Kragen's and throwing that in there.

I have also read most of the PS pump threads on TVP, including the very informative Removal/Install thread http://www.toyotavanpeople.com/forum...php?f=2&t=4413.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Power Steering Pump type

I put a Cardone pump on my van. It was painted nice and pretty. 2 months after I put it on it sprung a leak from the flow control valve port on the side of the pump. I pulled the pump out and removed the flow control valve. I was a bit surprised to find the o-ring that seals the bore there to be badly worn and hard (it broke and crumbled as I tried to remove it). It really made me wonder what get's done when they "rebuild" these. I was in a pinch for time, so I used a garden variety o-ring I had that looked about the same size (for a faucet I think). That was over a year ago and still holding........but now my pressure hose is leaking .

Omnicron Mike had the exact thing happen with his "rebuilt" pump, but I'm not sure what brand his was. To my knowledge the pumps are the same as stock Toyota ones. I think the Cardone ones are just junk yard pumps that have been repainted. Maybe you could get one of those for the pretty paint job, then replace all the o-rings and plug any holes it might have . Good luck. Tim

My Van(s):
    87 4wd LE auto

Oh goody. Thanks Tim. Time for more refreshments.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd LE

I have an A1Cardone ps pump in my van that I bought from RockAuto. It did come with a nice paint job and so far it doesn't leak. It turns out it wasn't my PS pump making the noise so I have my old one as a spare and the cardone one installed.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

NEC, if your PS system is making noise, it's most likely due to a clogged up screen inside the reservoir. That will starve the pump and make it cavitate. I've had this problem on several of mine and cleaning the screen has always fixed it. Here's a link to a thread regarding that issue (with illustrations) http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...g-system-noise Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd LE

thanks, Tim. I have been thinking about doing that for a while. I still haven't isolated the noise to the pump for sure yet.

My Van(s):
    87 4wd LE auto

Thanks for your thoughts guys. I decided to go with Rockauto and got the ATSCO pump ($86) rather than the A-1 Cardone ($63). They had a Drive Plus pump on closeout for $47, but I've never heard of that brand and the 30 day warranty got me scared. I'll let you know how it goes.