Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lower Control Arm Bushings

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Lower Control Arm Bushings

Dealer is telling me he only sees a listing on the forward bushing but not the rearward bush?
    Am thinking all 4 are the same, but don't know the answer to that question.
    Hoping that someone else has already been there.

I do know the factory bushings are different 2wd to 4wd so have ignored the listings for A/M as all the ones I have found are either spec'd as 2WD or "both".
    Supposedly lower arms are now NLA.
    Thanks
    BB

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Lower Control Arm Bushings

That's weird. I just looked it up in the EPC and see what he's talking about. Are you sure there's supposed to be a bushing there? Here's a snap shot of the EPC with the bushing that's shown highlighted to the right. The number on the far right indicates how many bushings there are TOTAL (both right & left sides). In this case it says 2, so that means 2 total (not 2 per side). I've never messed with these on a 4wd, so I can't help you from experience. Let us know what you figure out. Tim

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

the 4WD front lower control arm is unoptenium new. With a lot of patience and refined hunting techniques I managed to capture a driver side at the Yotayard in Denver CO The passenger side has been tracked and should be on its way to Florida soon.
    I can confirm the need of 4 bushings, 2 per arm. They are the same in front and rear of the arm, I don't know why it's not showing on the EPC.

This what I want to replace

Lower arm1.jpg

This is what I scored in Denver

20180222_111011.jpg

Salvage yards should really be called savage yards, due to their proficiency at the use of the oxy/acetylene wrench.
    One of the bushing with a melted/ fused cam bolt still in, the other is gone.
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

Could not upload more pics, let see if a new post will let me!

I ordered 4 bushings from www.RockAuto.com, I selected ACEDELCO part # 45G9344. I also ordered all new cam assembly, cam camber adjust#2, castel nut+ cotter pin, and other nuts and washers, from www.ToyotaPartsdeal.com. While waiting for these goodies, I went on to get the rust off the arm with the help of these guys:

20180222_162949.jpg

Then spray this on and in every holes and cavity to turn any remaining rust particle into neutral black oxide. It also serves as an etching primer on the rest of the part.

20180226_153209.jpg
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

My Van(s):

I also de-rusted, cleaned, treated,and re-greased the perfectly healthy ball joint.

Then these guys came in. I ordered them Thursday evening, we are Monday afternoon, RockAuto realy rocks!
    The ugly black thing is the rubber part of the old bushing.

20180303_115145.jpg

At this point I know I have to get the bushing outer sleeve out of the arm pivot ends.
    LG.

My Van(s):

Die grinder and deburing bit and this is the whole bushing is out, both sides of the arm.
    Black brake calipers paint cause they leave pretty clause to the brakes, in pretty much the same environment.

Press in new bushings with never-seize grease

20180305_182037.jpg
    LG.

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Sign me up on your next “rehabilitation of parts class”!!!!

You make it look so easy

JDM

My Van(s):

Meanwhile, the rest of the goodies came in....

IMG_0401.jpg

Now waiting for passenger side to inflict same punishment!
    I have a brand new set of uppers.
    Also looking for Bilstein shocks ( getting confused in part#)
    LG.

My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by JDM VANMAN View Post
    Sign me up on your next “rehabilitation of parts class”!!!!

You make it look so easy

JDM
    It is coming to a point where we don't have a choice but to rehab/build parts.

The rehab part is the easy part.

Finding the parts and dealing with the crooks who pretend to have them is harder and mentally exhausting.
    I have been tracking these for months. Building hope one day and the next day calling the credit card company to dispute a payment. I will soon be on a 1st name basis with the people of VISA .

Many rare parts are being crushed as we speak because some one is too lazy to take them out of the vehicle before the crush. Of the three control arms I have located so far, all of them where on the vehicle, not on shelves. I will use my rusty old ones to make jigs so, one day, they can be made out of chromoly tubing , it will be expensive but when they are extinct.... that will be it.

If anybody has any questions ,by all means, please shoot! I also have loads more Pictures, but there is something about me having maxed out so I can only insert one pic at a time
    LG.

My Van(s):

I got the passenger side today,

20180316_194558.jpg

thanks to the people at IKE & SON in Craig CO, If anybody need a Driver side lower control arm for a 4WD give them a call at 970 824 6475 they still had it when they shipped mine! They have the van but they say it has been picked pretty clean by now .
    LG.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    86 2wd auto LE 87 4wd 5spd

I am going through all of this right now on my 4wd , I ordered all the cam/camber parts from Toyotapartsdeal .com , they showed all of them available , then I get an e-mail saying they have 1? , any body have these or a clue where to get them , lastly I'm wondering ...do I have to rplace them ? I jus didnt want to have alighnment problems with everything else being nes .

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota 4wd Cargo Van

This is one of the areas I have yet to delve into on the Van... So far the control arms seem to be in pretty fair shape for 33 years old! I know one day it's gonna happen though. I need to find a source for all the soft rubber peices though, ie: ball joint boots.

Is there one?

My Van(s):

The boots alone are absolute NLA I don't know if they have ever been "A"valable. For the 4WD I would look for the whole ball joint for the lower and the whole arm for the upper from scrap yards, flea bay has a Febest store https://www.ebay.com/p/227337431 but you cannot select the 4WD so you have to rely on part #. Make no mistake about it, every single part of the front suspension for the 4WD is different from the rear wheel drive! An extensive search with a caliper at the pick and pull might land you on a 4 runner or pick-up truck of the same period with same boots measurements.... but I never took the time to do that. I know for a fact (pics somewhere on this forum) the arms are visually similar but not even close when side by side. I mentioned earlier how frustrating and time consuming the search for those parts was, trust me I wasn't joking . There is no way you will source all the needed parts from a single supplier. So you will have to work from the list of usual suspects: toyotapartsdeal, rockauto, flea bay, crapazon, carparts, etc. and of course your friendly scrap yards all around the country.
    Speaking of ball joints and carparts.com check this out :https://www.carparts.com/ball-joint/...k9531?&vehicle[cylinders]=4&vehicle[liter]=2%2E2&vehicle[submodel]=Wagon_LE&vehicle[model]=Van&vehicle[make]=Toyota&vehicle[year]=1989 At this price why look for the boot alone? That my friend, as per the picture is the 4WD lower. See how with a little luck.....
    Good hunting
    LG.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota 4wd Cargo Van

Thanks for the linky man! I actually found the same one on Rockauto for about 12 bucks, but the issue is I can't find a matching set.

I think I figured out a boot source, but will have to wait until they arrive to know for sure... will report back. I am all about rebuilding parts until they fail for good!

So far it's been the alt, ps, starter, cv's, driveshafts soon, and now the bj's…

No reason for these little vans to earn a rep like the JEEP (Just Empty Every Pocket).

As always, I love your workmanship and efforts to rebuild things... looks AWESOME!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Ive installed the uppers from Febast , found all the bearings and races EXCEPT for seals on the steering knuckle , which i think Febast makes . I've ordered both dustplates , not sure I'll get any lol. Now I am stuck on all the cam/caster bolts and washers as well as ONE bushing in their . My question are , does anybody have that bolt set to spare , or can I reasonbly depend on the bolts and just replace the rubber ?

My Van(s):

In this case: New bushing = New bolts,new cam washers,new lock nuts. I have never been able to get the old bolts out without some serious damage ( what with the fight against the sawzaw) . Even if you managed to pull them out in one piece, they probably shaded their cadmium coating in the process. It wouldn't take long for corrosion to set and fuse them to the inner sleeve of the new bushing. I use never-seize grease on the shaft of the bolt and inside the inner sleeve of the bushing. Same between the arm and the bushing's outer sleeve.
    toyotapartsdeal.com show them available' for what it's worth Ooops, I went back up a few post and saw your post. I stand corrected , TPD does not have them,
    Last edited by Carbonized; 05-08-2020 at 07:03 PM.
    LG.

My Van(s):

Amazon has a boat load of camber caster bolt kits including Specialty product 25425. I do not have time to verify the fit but there are other Toyota choices as well.
    LG.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Yeah i've orderd the bolts and washers , they shorted me 2 washers I paid for and only had one bolt ....arghhhh I'll try the Amazon route , just having a hard time finding them

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Thats what I needed , looks like aazon might have them ...

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Nope , whent to Moog site , they don't make them , but they show all kinds of 2wd parts when searching for 4wd lol