Thread: Lower Control Arm Bushings

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Lower Control Arm Bushings

Dealer is telling me he only sees a listing on the forward bushing but not the rearward bush?
    Am thinking all 4 are the same, but don't know the answer to that question.
    Hoping that someone else has already been there.

I do know the factory bushings are different 2wd to 4wd so have ignored the listings for A/M as all the ones I have found are either spec'd as 2WD or "both".
    Supposedly lower arms are now NLA.
    Thanks
    BB

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Lower Control Arm Bushings

That's weird. I just looked it up in the EPC and see what he's talking about. Are you sure there's supposed to be a bushing there? Here's a snap shot of the EPC with the bushing that's shown highlighted to the right. The number on the far right indicates how many bushings there are TOTAL (both right & left sides). In this case it says 2, so that means 2 total (not 2 per side). I've never messed with these on a 4wd, so I can't help you from experience. Let us know what you figure out. Tim

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

the 4WD front lower control arm is unoptenium new. With a lot of patience and refined hunting techniques I managed to capture a driver side at the Yotayard in Denver CO The passenger side has been tracked and should be on its way to Florida soon.
    I can confirm the need of 4 bushings, 2 per arm. They are the same in front and rear of the arm, I don't know why it's not showing on the EPC.

This what I want to replace

Lower arm1.jpg

This is what I scored in Denver

20180222_111011.jpg

Salvage yards should really be called savage yards, due to their proficiency at the use of the oxy/acetylene wrench.
    One of the bushing with a melted/ fused cam bolt still in, the other is gone.
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

Could not upload more pics, let see if a new post will let me!

I ordered 4 bushings from www.RockAuto.com, I selected ACEDELCO part # 45G9344. I also ordered all new cam assembly, cam camber adjust#2, castel nut+ cotter pin, and other nuts and washers, from www.ToyotaPartsdeal.com. While waiting for these goodies, I went on to get the rust off the arm with the help of these guys:

20180222_162949.jpg

Then spray this on and in every holes and cavity to turn any remaining rust particle into neutral black oxide. It also serves as an etching primer on the rest of the part.

20180226_153209.jpg
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

My Van(s):

I also de-rusted, cleaned, treated,and re-greased the perfectly healthy ball joint.

Then these guys came in. I ordered them Thursday evening, we are Monday afternoon, RockAuto realy rocks!
    The ugly black thing is the rubber part of the old bushing.

20180303_115145.jpg

At this point I know I have to get the bushing outer sleeve out of the arm pivot ends.
    LG.

My Van(s):

Die grinder and deburing bit and this is the whole bushing is out, both sides of the arm.
    Black brake calipers paint cause they leave pretty clause to the brakes, in pretty much the same environment.

Press in new bushings with never-seize grease

20180305_182037.jpg
    LG.