Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lower Control Arm Bushings

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    86 2wd auto LE 87 4wd 5spd

Re: Lower Control Arm Bushings

But ebay shows them from febast....

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

That's weird, I did a search on Fleabay before the Crapazon one and could not come up with a 4WD filter for the van.
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 MasterAce Surf Grand Saloon 2CT Auto 4x4

Did anyone find a camber bolt set that fits the 4WD? I put in an order with ToyotaPartsDeal, but I expect they will shortly tell me they're sold out.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Yes, I did. Toyotapartsdeal.com has been becoming increasingly lame. Toyota may be getting low on a bunch of stuff, but I've had several orders cancelled by them (stating NLA), then I was able to successfully order through my local Toyota dealer. These camber bolts are one of those things. Febest also makes a replacement. I don't have time to look these up right at the moment, but I'll try to remember to do it later. I'm sure if you search eBay using the Toyota number they will show-up. Tim

PS: BTW, 2wd vans and 4wd vans use the same camber bolts.......the 4wd has 4 of them and the 2wd only has 2.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Thanks Tim! Yes it looks like there are some Febest options on ebay. ...aaand I've already had to cancel my ToyotaPartsDeal order.

Now I'm no automotive engineer, but it does look like the camber bolt assembly on the vans is just... a bolt and some plates. If these Febests weren't available, couldn't a brand new assembly be machined pretty easily? (given the stock was strong enough.)

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Yes, it could be done, but so far I've always been able to find them....albeit usually special order. I always keep 4 or more on hand as these tend to freeze up inside the control arm bushings (due to rust). When I replace them I cake with anti-seize compound to help prevent that. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Alrighty, I got new cam bolts, I got new bushings, I got new ball joints, but I've also got some very seized old cam bolts on the lower control arms.

I think I'll have to sawzall the old ones out.

The cut points on the front cam bolt and bushing are fairly accessible, but does anyone have any special sauce on cutting the back cam bolt and bushing? Should I just drop the rear crossmember out of the way and cut them off from below?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I'm not saying this is the right way, but I always remove the nuts and cam washers from the back side, then use a cutting torch on the heads and the threads that extend beyond the cross member. Then I use a pry bar to spread the cross-member enough for the control arms to fall out. Sometimes a helper with an extra pry bar and some well placed blows with a hammer can speed things up a bit. If I'm re-using the control arms I'll do the rest of the work with a press. Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    Vandi -'93 LiteAce 2CT, Auto, 4wd, Skylite!

grinder with a 4" abrasive blade, 1/16" can be pretty precise.
    I was a member for 2 years before I bought my van.
    Vandi-

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4

Question Re: Lower Control Arm Bushings

My 87 4x4 seems to be showing signs of needing her bushings replaced. From what I’m reading on this forum and elsewhere, it’s not going to be easy to find the parts I’ll need. Because I’m new to auto repair, can someone tell me exactly what part I would need to ask for? Like, is there a part number or specific size I should ask for as I begin my quest?
    Thanks

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota van

I just looked and they all all available at rock auto the moment. Looks like doorman makes upper control arms now.