Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A new transmission problem

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van

Re: Ebay automatic transmission update.

Quote Originally Posted by 20valvevanwagon View Post
    Did you install the kickdown cable correctly? When I did my trans swap I had an issue where it didn't move after putting it in gear and felt like the T/C was slipping. I adjusted the cable and now works fine. Also after adding the extra fluid did you check to see if it was at the right level? I'm not an automatic transmission guru I just recently swapped out my auto trans myself, just giving you some things to check out. Good luck! I hope its something simple!!!

Yea I've tried the cable a few different ways nothing changes. I haven't had time to add even more fluid than I already have (extra 3 quarts). How much extra do you think I should try and add? does anyone know how much fluid the automatic transmission holds including the torque converter?

This is the link I bought my transmission from

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221813283268...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Total capacity is 6.9 quarts. You need to check the fluid level with the dipstick. It's not likely it was shipped with any significant amount of fluid in it. Some auto trannies won't work right when just one quart low. Pull the dipstick with the engine off and see if it shows at all. If not, then add fluid until you just get some on the dipstick. Now start it and fill it to the proper level. You should also shift it through all gears as well to get the fluid pumped through all the internal passages. If you keep trying to run it with low fluid you may damage it. Although you've likely voided your warranty when you poured in the Lucas additive.
    Last edited by originalkwyjibo; 08-07-2015 at 12:25 AM. Reason: spelling

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van

Quote Originally Posted by originalkwyjibo View Post
    Total capacity is 6.9 quarts. You need to check the fluid level with the dipstick. It's not likely it was shipped with any significant amount of fluid in it. Some auto trannies won't work right when just one quart low. Pull the dipstick with the engine off and see if it shows at all. If not, then add fluid until you just get some on the dipstick. Now start it and fill it to the proper level. You should also shift it through all gears as well to vet the fluid pumped through all the internal passages. If you keep trying to run it with low fluid you may damage it. Although you've likely voided your warranty when you poured in the Lucas additive.
    I can't shift through the gears because as soon as I put it in drive the van jumps forward. Ill add more fluid tomorrow and see how it pans out. What happens if I overflow the transmission with too much fluid?

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

With the engine off and the van on level ground, pour in fluid one pint at a time checking with the dipstick between each pint until it shows on the dipstick. Next start the engine and check the fluid level again. Again, pour in a pint at a time until it is near the correct level. Now try shifting through all the gears. If successful, check the fluid level again adding if necessary. Now take a test drive and get it warmed up to operating temperature. Check the fluid again topping it up if necessary. Be aware that residual fluid in the dipstick tube from filling can make it difficult to get an accurrate reading. It's a good idea to run the dipstick up and down a few times and then check the level at least twice before determining you've got a correct reading.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Yeah, IMO Lucas was a bad idea. Auto transmissions don't come full & trying to run it empty can damage it. Trying to run it over filled can damage it too. When it comes to proper servicing of the transmission, use Dexron III or something that says it's compatible with Dexron II or III. In achieving the proper level, here's a quote from another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    Yes, it's true that getting a good reading can be troublesome. The fluid is thin (hard to see) and false readings are hard to avoid. I normally don't use the "cold" mark unless it's the initial servicing of an empty transmission (just to get "in the zone"). After vehicle has been warmed up and driven fluid level is adjusted to the "hot" mark. Whenever fluid is added or removed it's a good idea to shift through the gears then back to park. When checking level ALWAYS check both sides of the dip stick. If one side shows lower than the other, put more faith in the low side. Don't trust an individual reading. Wait until you get 3 consistent readings before you trust it. Holding the dipstick up to a good light helps.

I've learned from experience that while changing transmission fluid it saves time to measure what comes out, then put the same amount back in. I use a funnel and pour my drain pan into a gallon jug, then I use an identical (clean) jug and fill to the same level using new fluid. The transmission is then serviced from this jug. After a couple of quarts I start the engine, shift through the gears, then finish servicing SLOWLY with the engine running. Assuming the transmission fluid level was correct before, it will be correct again (no fussing around with incremental adding/subtracting of fluid). Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van

I emptied about 7 quarts out of fluid out of the transmission and filled it back up. Still nothing. It almost as if "the automatic clutch" doesn't work as soon as its put into gear the van jumps forward and stalls. If you give it gas while putting it in gear you can drive the van normally and it shifts through the gears it just shifts really hard and kicks into gear thorough all the gears. Anyone have any clue? Ive tried the kick down cable or throttle cable on the engine side adjusting the tension on it doesn't really do anything for me. No noticeable difference.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

If you got 7 quarts out of it then it was excessively overfilled. The most you should have been able to get out is about 3 quarts. This is because fluid gets trapped in the torque converter and other parts. How much fluid did you put back in? I'm not saying you don't have another issue, just want to be sure the fluid level is correct before condemning the transmission. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van

If you got 7 quarts out of it then it was excessively overfilled. The most you should have been able to get out is about 3 quarts. This is because fluid gets trapped in the torque converter and other parts. How much fluid did you put back in? I'm not saying you don't have another issue, just want to be sure the fluid level is correct before condemning the transmission. Tim
    If Im not able to run the van through the gears though wouldn't the fluid not be able to get into the torque converter?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Typically when the transmission is low or empty it will not engage (slips), so shifting through the gears is not an issue. Assuming your rpm's are correct (around 750) it should not engage enough to make it lurch and stall (even after it's full). I don't think it should do that even if it's over filled (but since I've never over serviced an automatic transmission, I don't know that for sure). If it still lurches/stalls after the transmission is properly serviced, I'm not sure what the cause would be, but I would strongly suspect a failed or defective torque converter. Tim

PS: When filling the transmission it should be running and in park. I usually cycle through the gears just for good measure, but don't think it's required.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van

Typically when the transmission is low or empty it will not engage (slips), so shifting through the gears is not an issue. Assuming your rpm's are correct (around 750) it should not engage enough to make it lurch and stall (even after it's full). I don't think it should do that even if it's over filled (but since I've never over serviced an automatic transmission, I don't know that for sure). If it still lurches/stalls after the transmission is properly serviced, I'm not sure what the cause would be, but I would strongly suspect a failed or defective torque converter. Tim

PS: When filling the transmission it should be running and in park. I usually cycle through the gears just for good measure, but don't think it's required.

Well Im having a mechanic look at it tomorrow. As far as I know then when the transmission was put in it had the correct amount of fluid because I added about 4 quarts and then ended up draining out 7 quarts now there is 3 in it. I must have gotten a bad transmission or something because I haven't even driven the van enough to even damage it in the first place. Ill keep an update as of tomorrow

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Did the new transmission come with a torque converter or are you using your old one?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van

Did the new transmission come with a torque converter or are you using your old one?
    It came with a new torque converter.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Then based on what you have reported it sounds to me like you received a defective eBay item .