Thread: Reworking 4wd radiator

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd manual 1987 4wd automatic

Re: Reworking 4wd radiator

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on this radiator/fan set up. It would be GREAT to get some feedback before spending a bunch of money.

As I see it, the actual cost of this modification is around $300. The total cost is around $800 but I'm subtracting out the cost going the recore route: Maybe $500.

I like the AFCO 80107N radiator because:
    It not a super cheap one. There are 2" thick ones on ebay for $125. I would be paying an extra $220 for a 3" thick radiator that appears in the picture to be higher quality.
    1 1/4" in and outlets. I would need to snake the lower hose across.

I like the Flex a lite fans because:
    More cfm for less than the single fan AFCO set up. If one burns out, maybe the other might get you home. I was planing on using the flex a lite controller, maybe its better to be consistent with the electrical modification. Its a little cheaper than the AFCO fan (part #80107NFAN)

The total cost of the set up will be around $800. Thats less than I've spent on my other vans stock radiator. I've had to recore twice (bad luck probably) and fix a tank leak and its still a 30+ year old radiator. I have also had to pull the radiator 3 times for these repairs. I will have to make custom brackets to support the new radiator but fortunately I can do that myself, that would increase the cost for someone who needed to farm that work out.

A couple other things involved:
    The van has a 5/16" diameter return(?) line. I was planning to fabricate a 5/16" nipple on a piece of 1 1/4", and splice that into the return line.
    The flex a lite fan set up is designed to run for 25 seconds after shut down. If that is not enough to prevent heat soak, maybe it could be wired to battery +, instead of ignition +. In that case, the fans on/off would be governed by the programmed shut off temperature. Depending on the water temperature, maybe they would run longer and help with heat soak?

This a lot of money and work! Any critique would be MUCH appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images