Thread: Coolant and Oil Leak

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 4WD Cargo Conversion

Coolant and Oil Leak

Hello! The snow has finally begun to melt in Wisconsin so I busted my '87 4x4 M/T Cargo out of storage about a week ago. For the first few days there was a coolant leak which has since gone into remission. I wasn't able to pinpoint the source, however it seemed to pool up and drip from the front-passenger corner of the oil pan. I expect it will come back, but for the last 3 days or so I haven't seen any significant loss. I have noticed another leak (or perhaps it is related) which appears a lot like engine oil but I'm not positive. I've searched the forum but since I don't even really know what I'm looking at I have been largely unsuccessful in finding any relatable thread. Below are a few photos I've taken of the problem. Can anyone help to steer me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!

Name:  IMG_20140402_143806.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  91.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_20140402_143903.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  92.3 KB

-or-

http://i.imgur.com/gVkn4Xx.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/OUvwSBj.jpg
    Last edited by whennothingwas; 04-03-2014 at 12:40 PM. Reason: clarification

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota Van DLX 4x4

Re: Coolant and Oil Leak

Did you check the rear plate on the back of the cylinder head?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I don't like the looks of that. It's either the rear main engine seal or the transmission input shaft seal. Due to the way it's seeping out from the clutch fork boot I'm guessing it's gear oil leaking from the transmission input shaft seal. It's likely getting on the back of the pressure plate & getting slung around inside the bell housing. It will likely eventually get on the clutch disc and that will result in a failed clutch. The transmission will need to come out to diagnose & fix. If your clutch isn't slipping yet and you do it now, you may get by with just replacing the seal. If you wait for it to start slipping, you'll need to replace the clutch too. Depending on how many miles are on the current clutch, it might be about time anyhow. Sorry for being the bearer of bad news. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 LE

Any final diagnosis? I'm losing near a quart every 500. I've parked it at this point, but the underside of my transmission looks exactly like these photos. Transmission apointment being made first thing in the a.m. AAMCO in Twin falls, ID put in a new clutch less than 10,000mi ago. I asked them to do the rear main seal and never got an explanation as to why they didnt. Bummer.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota 4wd Cargo Van

Quote Originally Posted by whatvan View Post
    Any final diagnosis? I'm losing near a quart every 500. I've parked it at this point, but the underside of my transmission looks exactly like these photos. Transmission apointment being made first thing in the a.m. AAMCO in Twin falls, ID put in a new clutch less than 10,000mi ago. I asked them to do the rear main seal and never got an explanation as to why they didnt. Bummer.

Like Tim mentioned it's more than likely a seal. Theres really only two in the area for it to be. It's the rear main or the input shaft seal on the trans. Both can ruin a healthy clutch given enough time and severity of the leak. And both combined can be had for under 20 bucks total.
    It's the labor that kills you on this repair, not the parts.

If you know what gear oil smells like it's an easy way to differentiate between the rear main and the input shaft seal.

I'm dropping my trans in the next couple of weeks or so to replace my input shaft seal, rear main and the clutch. I'll take some pics and drop them in my build thread, or start another if people want to know how it's done...

Nothing is leaking, it's just habit when I drop any trans... the clutch is needing to be swapped though and the flywheel needs a scrape.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 LE

Thanks Flecker. Its not gear oil, so thats rear main? I may have to dig deep. I dont have anywhere indoors to do this sort of work right now and idaho is getting chilly. I wish they had replaced it when i asked. I would not recommend AAMCO Twin Falls, ID to anyone for any vehicle. Pretty terrible customer service there. I digress.

I would be very interested to see a how to on this. It seems like something i would be capable of, but am nervous having never done anything involving transmission removal before. It may be good to add to this thread as well. If you get to it.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by whatvan View Post
    Thanks Flecker. Its not gear oil, so thats rear main? I may have to dig deep. I dont have anywhere indoors to do this sort of work right now and idaho is getting chilly. I wish they had replaced it when i asked. I would not recommend AAMCO Twin Falls, ID to anyone for any vehicle. Pretty terrible customer service there. I digress.

I would be very interested to see a how to on this. It seems like something i would be capable of, but am nervous having never done anything involving transmission removal before. It may be good to add to this thread as well. If you get to it.
    I will do this! May take a couple weeks but I WILL follow up.

All in all it really isn't to terrible. I've dropped quite a few trannies over the years (Transmissions, not the other). and this being a cable driven it prolly is the easiest. Will follow up and keep ya posted... It's getting cold here too. Dropping into the 20's already at night. Soon the single digits will be coming. If your sure it's the rear main, I will take extra pics of that.

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

I had mine done a few years back, wish I had the skills to do the job, here’s a great thread to review and I posted some photos of my tranny when it was pulled out in posting number 69....hmmm I didn’t plan this play on phrase??

https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...seal#post36155

Flecker can’t wait to see your thread if your able put it together, maybe I’ll be able to learn from it and practice on the next junk yard treasure!!

JDM

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by JDM VANMAN View Post
    I had mine done a few years back, wish I had the skills to do the job, here’s a great thread to review and I posted some photos of my tranny when it was pulled out in posting number 69....hmmm I didn’t plan this play on phrase??

https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...seal#post36155

Flecker can’t wait to see your thread if your able put it together, maybe I’ll be able to learn from it and practice on the next junk yard treasure!!

JDM
    Sure thing.

Honestly, yanking the transmission isn't a biggie... more time consuming than anything else with the down time of having to get the flywheel surfaced and cleaning as you go or whatnot. If I had a new flywheel I suspect the whole job to take maybe 3 or 4 hours.
    Just dropping one at the junkyard? Like an hour or maybe less...

Not like you need to be neat there or get anything cleaned up and what not. Just drop and roll! the only essential beyond hand tools at the junkyard would be a jack to first lift the trans to disconnect it and drop it to the ground, then lift the back of the van to slide it out.

I'll take pics as I go and do a little write up... seems like people may want to tackle their own clutches or fix some seals.

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Man thank you for the quick reply, that would be so awesome!!

JDM

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by JDM VANMAN View Post
    Man thank you for the quick reply, that would be so awesome!!

JDM

You bet! And thanks for the pic of the rear main too! It answered a question I had! Will prolly reach up there whilst the trans is out and replace my little hose of death... ha ha. I did reach back there when I had the valve cover off last time and it felt fine, but it's a far easier reach with the trans out.

I will take lots of pics. Will clean everything up as I go too so ya guys can see evrything without a glitch.
    Last edited by Flecker; 10-28-2019 at 12:08 AM.

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

Can't wait!
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    '92 TownAce 4x4 5spd Cargo Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    I don't like the looks of that. It's either the rear main engine seal or the transmission input shaft seal. Due to the way it's seeping out from the clutch fork boot I'm guessing it's gear oil leaking from the transmission input shaft seal. It's likely getting on the back of the pressure plate & getting slung around inside the bell housing. It will likely eventually get on the clutch disc and that will result in a failed clutch. The transmission will need to come out to diagnose & fix. If your clutch isn't slipping yet and you do it now, you may get by with just replacing the seal. If you wait for it to start slipping, you'll need to replace the clutch too. Depending on how many miles are on the current clutch, it might be about time anyhow. Sorry for being the bearer of bad news. Tim
    Hi there Tim,
    Thanks for always providing immense knowledge and support here!

- Wondering if you have a part number for the rear main seal?
    Ive looked all through the TVT threads and couldn't find one..

Some research on other sites lead me to these numbers (- 90080-31022, - 90311-90008 )
    but want to be certain before making a purchase !

thanks again for any help

Paul
    1992 Townace
    2C Diesel manual
    4wd

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

I did this job quite a while back, took a ton of pics along the way... just to lazy to sit down and do a detailed write up.

I used National seals for both the rear main and the input shaft seal. These are quality. The rear main set ALL the way in and is stout. Same with the inputshaft seal.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Hi Paul, since the 2c diesel engine was not used here in the states I don't know what part number seal you will need. Some of the guys here with diesel vans may have access to this information. I suggest posting your question in the diesel van section. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by Flecker View Post
    I did this job quite a while back, took a ton of pics along the way... just to lazy to sit down and do a detailed write up.

I used National seals for both the rear main and the input shaft seal. These are quality. The rear main set ALL the way in and is stout. Same with the inputshaft seal.
    Thanks for the response,
    and info, I will look into National if I can't find OEM

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    Hi Paul, since the 2c diesel engine was not used here in the states I don't know what part number seal you will need. Some of the guys here with diesel vans may have access to this information. I suggest posting your question in the diesel van section. Tim
    All good,
    Thanks Tim