Thread: Coolant and Oil Leak

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 4WD Cargo Conversion

Coolant and Oil Leak

Hello! The snow has finally begun to melt in Wisconsin so I busted my '87 4x4 M/T Cargo out of storage about a week ago. For the first few days there was a coolant leak which has since gone into remission. I wasn't able to pinpoint the source, however it seemed to pool up and drip from the front-passenger corner of the oil pan. I expect it will come back, but for the last 3 days or so I haven't seen any significant loss. I have noticed another leak (or perhaps it is related) which appears a lot like engine oil but I'm not positive. I've searched the forum but since I don't even really know what I'm looking at I have been largely unsuccessful in finding any relatable thread. Below are a few photos I've taken of the problem. Can anyone help to steer me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!

Name:  IMG_20140402_143806.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  91.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_20140402_143903.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  92.3 KB

-or-

http://i.imgur.com/gVkn4Xx.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/OUvwSBj.jpg
    Last edited by whennothingwas; 04-03-2014 at 12:40 PM. Reason: clarification

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota Van DLX 4x4

Re: Coolant and Oil Leak

Did you check the rear plate on the back of the cylinder head?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Coolant and Oil Leak

I don't like the looks of that. It's either the rear main engine seal or the transmission input shaft seal. Due to the way it's seeping out from the clutch fork boot I'm guessing it's gear oil leaking from the transmission input shaft seal. It's likely getting on the back of the pressure plate & getting slung around inside the bell housing. It will likely eventually get on the clutch disc and that will result in a failed clutch. The transmission will need to come out to diagnose & fix. If your clutch isn't slipping yet and you do it now, you may get by with just replacing the seal. If you wait for it to start slipping, you'll need to replace the clutch too. Depending on how many miles are on the current clutch, it might be about time anyhow. Sorry for being the bearer of bad news. Tim