Thread: Gas leak

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Cargo Van

Gas leak

Appreciate your input if you could help me find my subtle gas leak.

2. 04-06-2014, 11:06 PM

Reason
    moved to a relevant thread

3. 04-07-2014, 12:02 AM

Reason
    moved to a relevant thread

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Gas leak

The most likely spots for gas leaks are:

#1 Pulsation Damper
    #2 An injector o-ring
    #3 The FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator)
    #4 The flex hose going to the bottom of the fuel filter
    #5 The flex hose going from the fuel tank to the chassis (fuel pump pressure line).

#5 Would be leaking from in front of the rear wheels (middle of van), so if your leak is up front you can quickly rule this one out. The fuel filter hose is on the Passenger side just behind the front wheels, so if there's nothing dripping there then you can rule that out too. The FPR & injectors 3 & 4 are hidden between the 2 halves of the intake manifold, so if it's leaking from this area I can see some disassembling in your future. The Pulsation Damper is on the front Driver's side of the engine and is the most likely place to leak. If you're not sure what it looks like, just do a search on the forum & there should be several helpful threads. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Cargo Van

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    The most likely spots for gas leaks are:

#1 Pulsation Damper
    #2 An injector o-ring
    #3 The FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator)
    #4 The flex hose going to the bottom of the fuel filter
    #5 The flex hose going from the fuel tank to the chassis (fuel pump pressure line).

#5 Would be leaking from in front of the rear wheels (middle of van), so if your leak is up front you can quickly rule this one out. The fuel filter hose is on the Passenger side just behind the front wheels, so if there's nothing dripping there then you can rule that out too. The FPR & injectors 3 & 4 are hidden between the 2 halves of the intake manifold, so if it's leaking from this area I can see some disassembling in your future. The Pulsation Damper is on the front Driver's side of the engine and is the most likely place to leak. If you're not sure what it looks like, just do a search on the forum & there should be several helpful threads. Tim
    Tim you are the man! Thank you for replying to my sarcasm. Based on that the fuel filter hose seems to be the most likely. It is dripping from the pan just behind the front passenger wheel.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Get that taken care of ASAP! Fuel leaks can be dangerous. It might also be a loose banjo bolt or deformed crush washer at a filter connection. Tim