Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sliding door fix

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Sliding door fix

I have a trick I use for the rear center sliders (these are the ones that typically go 1st). I take PEX tubing (used for potable water systems on RVs) 1/4"ID X 3/8"OD, and make my own bushings. They won't roll like the old ones, but work a heck of a lot better than steel on steel and it's cheap. It's a tight fit, so even the pins that are worn down will still grab onto the pipe. It takes a little force to push the pieces of pipe on good pins, but it's managable. Here's some pics I took last time I did it. This is on a Previa, but the center rear rollers are the same on the vans. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1991 Previa LE 2WD gry,bench seating,alloys;1992 Previa LE 2WD blu,ABS,mnrf,quad seating;1992 Previa LE 2WD blu, mnrf,quad seating,no tint;1991 Previa LE 2WD burg, ABS,mnrf, quad seating

Re: Sliding door fix

Hi Tim. I don't see any pics. However, this will be very helpful since my 1991 Previa's sliding door is having issues with the rear rollers. I've been told that this is a common issue on any van with a sliding side door.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

That's odd. Is any body else having trouble seeing? They show up for me. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    87 4WD 5-speed Cargo

No issues--they come up for me ok.
    Rob

My Van(s):
    87 4wd LE auto

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

My Van(s):
    '88 4wd 5spd cargo, silver/red, with 3Y engine; '86 2wd 5spd cargo, green/red; '87 4wd 5spd LE, dark blue; '88 2wd 5spd cargo conversion, dark brown (bought new)

Tim, thanks for importing/redoing this info from TVP.com! I need to do this repair on 2 of my 3 vans.
    I am not having any trouble seeing the pictures.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    91 awd le

Hello Tim, i am about to try your fix for the center slider. I notice the front pin on mine seems to be bent towards the rear this cant be normal can it? Anyhow thanks for the easy and economical fix.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

It should be straight (as shown in my pics). If you can't straighten it, you may need to scavenge another slider bracket from a salvage yard. Good luck! Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    91 awd le

Couple of love taps with a dolly backing the pin and it straightened right up. Cut and installed the pex bushings and my door closes like a champ. Nice fix for $1.77 and I can do this for long time since I have 4'11" left of my pex tubing. Thanks again

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    2004 Toyota HiAce 4WD

I am having issues with my sliding door as well. The plastic on one of the wheels on the center roller is worn. Problem is, mine seems a bite different. I can't slide the old wheel out - it seems to be in some sort of a rivet. Or did I look wrong and it is possible to slide the plastic wheel out to replace it with the tube? It would really make my day, I am now literally living in my van and I open and close the doors dozens of times a day.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    91 awd le

Not sure what you are saying about the plastic wheel, the only wheel on my assembly was the metal one in the center and the two pins on either side that I assume once had some sort of plastic wheel on it. Are those the wheels you are referring to?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    2004 Toyota HiAce 4WD

Yes, the metal wheel in the middle holds the weight of the back of the door and the two pins originally contained some sort of white plastic-looking wheels. One is still there, the other (the one in the back) seems either deformed or was replaced by the previous owner by something else (which apparently doesn't work that well). I'll try to find the tubing and make some pictures when I disassemble the thing.
    Driving to South America: www.getoutoftown.cz

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1994 toyota previa DX van

Hi again Tim,
    I can't tell from the photos, did you have to remove that metal part from the car? Then doesn't the door fall down? Or are those photos taken with the part still on the car?
    Thank you,
    Barb

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I recommend removing the door 1st. I won't say it's impossible to do without completely removing the door (because I'm sure somebody would prove me wrong), but that would likely be tedious & frustrating. Removing the door is easy & once off you will have complete access. To remove a sliding door on a Previa, open the back hatch, work your fingers between the back window and the interior panel, then give it a good yank. You don't have to remove this panel completely, just pop it off far enough to get a 10 mm socket into the hole just below the back lower corner of the RR window. Removing the nut inside this hole will release the trim piece at the back of the center slide track.

Next you take the front lower slide bracket off the door and just let it stay there. If you're strong you can do this next part by yourself, but even then it's better to have a helper (makes things much more manageable and lowers the chance of scratches and/or other damage). If you have a helper, put them at the back of the door. It will be their job to support the back and keep it from contacting the van. Your job will be to support the front and keep the lower part of the door from contacting the van. Now open the door beyond it's normal travel...........until the center rear slider comes out of the track. When this happens your friend will be the only thing supporting the back of the door. With the center slider out the only thing supporting the front of the door is you and the top slider. Being careful to not let the center slider re-enter it's track, slowly close the door (about 3 or 4") until the top slider wheel aligns with a notch (wide point) in the slide rail. When you find this spot the door will fall, so be ready to catch/support it. Door is completely off the van now and can be carried to a safe spot. It's a good idea to have cardboard or carpet ready to set the door on. Now you can fix the center slider. You can remove it from the door or fix it in place.

Re-install the door in reverse order and when the 10 mm nut is back on, simply use your fist to pound the back interior panel back on. There is a clip on the back panel that fit's into the rubber seal for the back hatch. That is likely the only spot that will require special attention. Simply pull the seal away from the body in this area, push the clip past it, then push the seal back on & over the clip. Tim

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Here's another thread on the subject: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...r-cure-for-you He uses bearings instead of tubing. I'm sure there are at least another 2 or 3 threads here too where other things were used to repair. I think NEC found some plastic bushings at a hardware store that fit & functions just like the original (they're loose enough to spin). Tim

My Van(s):
    1987 4WD Automatic

This thread reminded me of my temporary sliding door "fix" until Tim mailed me a nice used door latch.
    Thanks again Tim!

Name:  126500034737063.jpg
Views: 9524
Size:  62.1 KB

Name:  126500040555385.jpg
Views: 8548
Size:  80.7 KB
    "You came in that thing?... You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1994 toyota previa DX van

He is a fountain of information willingly shared (thank you)

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van Wagon

Hi Tim,

I have a 1987 Toyota Van Wagon. I'm trying to fix the sliding door asap; I don't have any experience fixing cars, so I am trying to find the center roller at salvage yards and get someone to help me fix it. They are proving difficult to come by!

You mentioned that the center roller for the Previa is the same. Is this true? Could I order the Previa center roller and install it on my van?

Thank you so much,

Kim

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Hi & welcome to TVT. When I said that, I meant the same in regards to design type and the size rollers. The Vanwagons and Previas use different mounting brackets. If you're looking to buy the complete roller/bracket assembly new, the one for the Vanwagon is Toyota Part# 68330-87002. List Price is $111.94 but some of the discount parts sites (like www.1stToyotaParts.com) will sell for $82.78 + about double what reasonable shipping would be (assuming they are still available from Toyota). Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van Wagon

Thanks for your response. Toyota stopped making the part, so I have been trying to find it at salvage yards. I don't need the assembly, but it's missing all 3 rollers. The 2 side rollers just have a thin piece of black plastic, and the center lower roller is completely missing. Any suggestions?

Thanks again!