Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sliding door fix

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    93 previa

Re: Sliding door fix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWmfs07SZAU

you tube link showing the three slider arms off so you can see how they roll. Also shows replacing some worn parts and how using a caliper is needed to ensure they will fit . I found this helpful in seeing what had worn on mine .
    Donny

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    Thanks for your response. Toyota stopped making the part, so I have been trying to find it at salvage yards. I don't need the assembly, but it's missing all 3 rollers. The 2 side rollers just have a thin piece of black plastic, and the center lower roller is completely missing. Any suggestions?

Thanks again!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    I have a trick I use for the rear center sliders (these are the ones that typically go 1st).
    Hi Tim -

How do you remove the slider assembly from the door to put the PEX on the pins that once held a roller?

Any info is great.

Thanks!

Chad Reich & Duckie the '87 van

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Pull the sliding door off the van. To do so pull off the interior door handle and remove the trim piece at the end of the door track (exterior body). Then you slide the door open past it's normal travel and it will come off. Note, the top slide rail has notch in it so the top slide wheel can drop through.......just need to find the right spot in the travel. I usually do this myself, but if it's your 1st time you might want an extra set of hands to help prevent accidental dropping and/or damage.

Once the door is off, it's easy to get access to the pins. If they're not worn completely off, the pex trick should work. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    To do so pull off the interior door handle and remove the trim piece at the end of the door track (exterior body). Then you slide the door open past it's normal travel and it will come off. Tim
    Thanks man! Could you clarify two quick questions?

Are you talking about the handle you would pull if you were sleeping inside the van to open the door?

What is the trim piece at the end of the door track, and where is it located?

Thanks!

-Chad

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

It's the big interior handle that limits door travel. If you open the door all the way, it's the only thing that hits to keep the door from opening too far. Just go out and open the door to the limit and you'll see what I'm talking about. The other part is the trim piece that terminates the exterior center door track. It's a little chrome piece about 4 or 5 inches long with one Phillips head screw holding it on (farthest aft part of the exterior door track). Take out that screw and the piece will fall off. Once those 2 parts are removed you simply open the door and overextend until the center roller clears the track, then slide back & forth slowly until the top roller falls through the hole in the upper door track.

Edit: I forgot about the lower roller. Just remove that from the door before doing anything else. There's (3) 10mm bolts attaching it to the interior of the sliding door (bottom front triangular bracket).

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van

Hi Tim,

Got it! All 3 bearings were gone. I replaced the two bearings that touch the back of the slider with PEX and the larger middle bearing which touches the bottom of the slider with another hose (they didn't have PEX that size). I'll follow up to whether it works or not.

Thanks again!
    -Chad & Duckie

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    88 hi ace

I have a 1988 hi ace van. The sliding door has seen better days but was working fine until my 35kg staffyxridgeback tried to jump out while still tied to an anchor point in back of the van. She pushed the door back past it’s “ comfort zone” and I could only get it closed properly by removed the bottom roller/bracket. Can anyone give me some instructions on how to put it back on so it will work properly. I’m a fair to middling mechanic but my experience is mostly with motorcycles and kombi vans. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    cheers - doc 👍