Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Fuel gauge not working?

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '86 2wdAuto made it to 490k,now in van 'heaven' '88 panel 4x4 standard,,stolen in Tijuana jan 2012 '87 4x4 auto...new paint, now on th'road! '86 2wd auto 360k,,mint condition,had some fun, needs engi

Re: Fuel gauge not working?

Update..... soaked the old parts and tank in vinegar, very effective for rust removal.
    A bit of wiggling and twiddling, and the worn actuator seems to work fine.
    It's handy to note that the unit can be tested simply by plugging it in. It doesn't need to be grounded, or positioned in the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by micah202 View Post
    Ooph, gettin desperate. The actuator arms are totally worn on both gauge senders I have.
    Is there a fix for those?

Otherwise,, someone mentioned this gauge unit above,, but no mention of success or otherwise.

Is this the correct Ohm Range? Worth a try @ ~$50 shipped?
    0-90 ohms

With Low Fuel Warning Contact

https://www.jegs.com/i/VDO/918/226-164/10002/-1

Originally Posted by coronan
    I would like to go this route.
    VDO 226-164 - VDO Fuel Tank Sending Units
    http://www.jegs.com/i/VDO/918/226-164/10002/-1

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota Eli

Is the actuator arm the part that rubs against the copper coil?

Good news on my issue. I was being impatient with the gauge responding after turning the car on. I was able to repair the sending unit by loosening the copper wire from the coil and soldering to the large metal disk located in the picture. Before putting it all back together I tried again and waited longer. This time it started to react, to say I wasn't fist pumping the air alone in my parkade would be a lie.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '86 2wdAuto made it to 490k,now in van 'heaven' '88 panel 4x4 standard,,stolen in Tijuana jan 2012 '87 4x4 auto...new paint, now on th'road! '86 2wd auto 360k,,mint condition,had some fun, needs engi

Sounds good., you got function back., But have you spent the time to check the sender is responding appropriately at different relative tank heights?

I took some time to be leaving the unit plugged in under the car, shifting the actuator arm to different positions, then checking back every once in a while to see what shows on the guage.

I gottah say it worked a lot better once I was looking at the actual fuel guage itself rather than the temperature gauge in the car,. I had a good laugh over that one.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van

This might sound like a real silly question but after you soaked your sending unit in vinegar how did you make sure all the vinegar was off of it before you put it back in? My fuel sender seems to kinda work and I think the vinegar soak is my best option to start with.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

I wouldn't be too worried about a small residual of vinegar. You can take a heat gun to it if you want to make sure it's really dry. I'm sure that's good enough, but if you're really worried you could wash it down with another solvent, or gasoline. Just don't do that while you're smoking.

As in the post above, you can plug in the sender underneath the car and take the opportunity to calibrate it to your gauge.