Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 toyota cargo van 2wd manual

Re: Fuel gauge not working?

Quote Originally Posted by coronan View Post
    I would like to go this route.
    VDO 226-164 - VDO Fuel Tank Sending Units
    http://www.jegs.com/i/VDO/918/226-164/10002/-1

I just need to find it locally so it can be returned easily if it doesn't work out.

Did you end up going with the universal fuel level sensor or has anyone found a oem one thats not discontinued?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by batook View Post
    I'm working on replacing the fuel level sender and the fuel pump on my 88 4WD 5MT van. I pulled a sender and pump from an 88 2WD Auto. After reading this thread, apparently the sender is not the same as what's in my 4WD and the tanks are different.

Has anyone tried a 2WD sender in a 4WD tank (or vice versa)? Are the fuel pumps interchangeable at least?

The 2WD tank at the junkyard is really clean inside and looks to be in great shape. Anyone know if it's possible to rig up a 2WD tank to the 4WD chassis?

If a tank swap isn't possible and the 2WD sender can't be rigged or modified to work in my 4WD tank, I'll give the repair procedure Kombi described above a go.

Thanks, Eric
    Take a look at posts #56 & #57 of this thread regarding tank fit. Although different part numbers, I can't imagine senders being that different. I would recommend comparing and I'd be surprised if you couldn't get a 2wd one to work...........however, I've never tried so I don't know for sure. Tim

Quote Originally Posted by grantbgarner View Post
    I have read through most of this thread but maybe I missed someone with this issue. My fuel gauge reads backwards. I think the PO did some work on it but it reads empty when full and vice versa. Thoughts on how to correct?
    Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by garythe86toyota View Post
    Did you end up going with the universal fuel level sensor or has anyone found a oem one thats not discontinued?
    Take a look at Post #70 of this thread. If I had to guess, I'd think somebody put a universal sender in your tank. If that's the case, it has to do with the way the rheostat was wound (which end goes to ground and which end goes to gauge). Depending on the sending unit, it "might" be possible to reverse this, but that's a big "if". Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 passenger

I've requested the ebay seller give me the diameter of the diameter of the circular mounting plate and if they have a unit for the hiace, a popular vehicle in Thailand.
    eBay item number:
    263368652342 Its a two wire unit.

If we can get a demo out of them would a group buy work?

The unit would include the thermistor. the units they are selling are. two wire units, no thermistor.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by Kombi View Post
    the units they are selling are. two wire units, no thermistor.

If the AM rheostat has 2 wires (both coming to the outside of the tank), then you would wire one wire to ground and the other to the harness. If it reads backwards, all you would need to do is reverse the wires.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Tim:
    FYI

Now with my third time with rust in injector #3 I started the filter conversion. However I did find something that my interest you. I found this direct replacement from Purolator. It was relatively inexpensive. So I figured it was just another filter. So I contacted Purolator and they were very helpful and routed me to their engineering department. They confirmed that the mesh size of the filter material was in fact 10 microns. The down side of course is the task of replacing every 10K miles. I will ponder over this for a while.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Tim:

Here is where you can see it.

https://www.amazon.com/Purolator-F53.../dp/B000C6MM0I

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 passenger

Quote Originally Posted by MyToy View Post
    It is possible that your fuel line corrosion and contamination problem is past the fuel filter. You mentioned the #3 injector has repeatedly clogged.
    Have you considered working back from #3 injector to the fuel filter?
    Has the line between the filter and the fuel pipe been cleaned, along with the fuel pipe?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by MyToy View Post
    The filter media may be 10 microns, but IMO this type filter is more prone to assembly errors. The overall filtering ability is only as good as the biggest hole, and there's no way to inspect it without destruction. The other advantage to the canister type is there is an open area for sediments to "fall-out" while the fuel is flowing up hill to the pleated filter (higher up).

Quote Originally Posted by Kombi View Post
    It is possible that your fuel line corrosion and contamination problem is past the fuel filter. You mentioned the #3 injector has repeatedly clogged.
    Have you considered working back from #3 injector to the fuel filter?
    Has the line between the filter and the fuel pipe been cleaned, along with the fuel pipe?
    Yes, this is where I'm at in my thinking. I think fuel flowing through the lines is slowly "cleaning" them, unfortunately the garbage being released is what's causing the issue. I've put ~100k miles on this van since resurrecting it, so in my case these pipes are almost clean. If/when I find another one with a contaminated fuel system I'm going to look into cleaning the interior of these pipes before putting them back into service. Tim

9. 03-10-2019, 12:05 AM

Reason
    duplicate post

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 passenger

Do you know what the injector screen trash was composed of? Is it possible that the rubber fuel lines and o rings for the injectors are not ethanol compatible?

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    88 4wd

Hi - looking for info on the location of the check valve described earlier in this thread - will I need to drop the whole tank? Or just loosen as shown earlier in the thread? Thanks all

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

It's on a small vent hose in the front/top of the tank as shown in post #15 (this thread). Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    88 Toyota Cargo Van, 5SPD 4x4

I currently have my tank out after cleaning it (1988 4x4 5spd)

Fuel gauge has always read just under 1/4 when full.

Upon removing sender, I found a previous owner installed a Universal SeaChoice sending unit. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002IZBLEO..._eRZqDbFG0HZ76

The sender is probably working, but since it's for a 35-240 ohms range gauge, it's basically useless.

Before I give up and put this thing back together, does anybody know of a universal sending unit that actually works with our vans with the correct ohms rating? Any sources for an old stock sender or am I SOL? I was hoping mine had a gummed up OEM sender that I could send away for refurb...

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    (2) 1989 2WD LE VAN Wagons

Here is an idea. Don't know if it will work but why not match the sender you have to a fuel gauge that will work with the sender? To maintain stock look maybe you can attach the stock fuel gauge face plate in the cluster to the internals of a different fuel gauge that is matched to the sender

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 toyota van LE 2wd auto

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    Yeah, I have no problem flushing them out (once they're out). As you know, the problem is getting them out. No big deal 1 or 2 times, but gets old fast when you're doing it every 4 or 5 months .

Hey Tim thanks for this write up on your solution. I've been having the exact same issue with my van. i need to go clean the injectors today but I'm stalling just doing research on the internet. i don't wanna go tear my engine apart again, haha. this will be the third time ive cleaned them in the last 2 months, UGH. Anyways, i cleaned the tank and replaced the main and sock filters about 2 months ago. that lasted about 2k miles until they clogged again. mine are clogging with this green sand looking stuff, which doesn't resemble rust. I think i am going to try your fuel filter solution, and maybe clean the tank one more time with something a little stronger than purple power degreaser. did that fuel filter come with all the brass fittings you needed? im not too good with hydraulic lines like this so this is gonna be a learning experience for me.

-Jams

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

No, you'll only get the canister and a filter. As for the fuel line and all the little brass parts, if you check THIS POST you will see I've embedded links to all of these parts. Just click on the blue text hidden within and it should take you to the parts you need. Tim

My Van(s):
    '85 cargo '87 4x4 cargo conversion manual

I created a blog post that describes how I adapted a fuel sending unit from a 1987 Toyota pickup to work in the tank of my '87 4x4 van. I tested it out and it works, but I have yet to put fuel in the tank because I'm working on the van and haven't reinstalled the tank. I'll update when that happens, but I thought others might appreciate this workaround.

here is the link:

https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...ement-1987-van

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota Eli

Like the post says, fuel gauge not working. After pulling apart the connection under the van I'm getting 8.4V from the yellow/red wire and the white/black wire coming from the gauge. Also getting OL across the terminals for the variable resistor. The low gas warning light works. Any help would be appreciated.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '86 2wdAuto made it to 490k,now in van 'heaven' '88 panel 4x4 standard,,stolen in Tijuana jan 2012 '87 4x4 auto...new paint, now on th'road! '86 2wd auto 360k,,mint condition,had some fun, needs engi

Ooph, gettin desperate. The actuator arms are totally worn on both gauge senders I have.
    Is there a fix for those?

Otherwise,, someone mentioned this gauge unit above,, but no mention of success or otherwise.

Is this the correct Ohm Range? Worth a try @ ~$50 shipped?
    0-90 ohms

With Low Fuel Warning Contact

https://www.jegs.com/i/VDO/918/226-164/10002/-1

Quote Originally Posted by garythe86toyota View Post
    Originally Posted by coronan
    I would like to go this route.
    VDO 226-164 - VDO Fuel Tank Sending Units
    http://www.jegs.com/i/VDO/918/226-164/10002/-1

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota Eli

Have driven with non working gauge for years. Think I may have solved my problem. Does the fuel gauge show fuel level after starting the vehicle or simply when you turn the key to accessory.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '86 2wdAuto made it to 490k,now in van 'heaven' '88 panel 4x4 standard,,stolen in Tijuana jan 2012 '87 4x4 auto...new paint, now on th'road! '86 2wd auto 360k,,mint condition,had some fun, needs engi

Yahh, the gauge is active simply for turning the key on. No need to be running.