Thread: Diagnosing Squealing

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    87 4WD CRG : 170K

Diagnosing Squealing

With some good weather finally in PGH, I'm on the bike more than the van and spending some time tracing some issues.

There's an issue I've had on my 85 LE for a while now that I've mostly just dealt with, but would like to remedy. That issue is squealing. It seems to happen under pretty much any circumstance: turning, shifting, hot, cold, upon starting. This isn't just a tiny little squeak, but a real cringe worthy squeal that builds for a few seconds and then simply just stops.

I'm looking for any advice in the actual diagnosis of said squealing. Any typical culprits?

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: Diagnosing Squealing

That type of noise is typically drive belts slipping, either because their loose or something they drive is starting to seize.
    If none of the drive belts are too loose (or tight) then look to the idler pulley's on the power steering and A/C.
    (drop the belts and spin any idlers by hand so you can feel the bearings, and look for abnormal shiny spots on the pulleys)
    Once those are eliminated start looking at the accessories that run off the belts, alternator, pwr str pump, water pump,a/c compressor.
    Maybe check the power steering fluid too, just in case.
    BB

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Just the response I was looking for!

Thanks BB!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Yes, the bearings in these idler pulleys are known to fail and/or seize. When they start to fail they make noise. When they seize the belt slips, squeals, and wears extremely fast. The bearing inside is a common size used on motorcycles and skate boards. They are easy to find. Ebay has them for 2 or 3 bucks each or you can go to a motorcycle shop and get for around $10. Auto parts stores have them too but will likely want around $20. Toyota will only sell you the entire pulley for around $150 . There's a thread here somewhere that gives part numbers and tells were to get them. If you need this and can't find the thread, let me know and I'll look it up. Tim

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Here's the post I was referring to:

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    Did you loosen the lock bolt in the center of the idler pulley? You will need to do that before the adjustment screw can move that pulley. Also, make sure that pulley spins freely as it's fairly common for the bearing inside to freeze-up. If it's frozen up, then you'll need to take it apart and replace the bearing inside. It's a cheap and common garden-variety bearing that's used on everything. The part number is 6302-2RS. CLICK HERE to check out how many are listed on eBay at any given time. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Good stuff!

I recently swapped my cig-lighter-outlet voltmeter over to the 85, and there seems to be a definite correspondence b/w charging voltage and the squeal. If the squeal is audible, the voltage is low. As soon as the squeal subsides, the voltage returns to 14+.

That should eliminate a few possible culprits!

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

Quote Originally Posted by pinkgrips236 View Post
    Good stuff!

I recently swapped my cig-lighter-outlet voltmeter over to the 85, and there seems to be a definite correspondence b/w charging voltage and the squeal. If the squeal is audible, the voltage is low. As soon as the squeal subsides, the voltage returns to 14+.

That should eliminate a few possible culprits!
    That narrows it down to the main belt (alternator/water pump) being too loose.

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota van LE automatic (painted like the mystery machine)

Van makes high pitch squeal on startup

Has never done this
    especially does it if it's been in the cold

also my van kinda skips, like the engine sputters throughout, in idle and when I'm driving and picking up speed. It'll sputter as I go faster and it'll go away at high speed but always sputters in idle and low speeds

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van 2WD

Re: Van makes high pitch squeal on startup

Quote Originally Posted by XxCisnerosxX View Post
    Has never done this
    especially does it if it's been in the cold

also my van kinda skips, like the engine sputters throughout, in idle and when I'm driving and picking up speed. It'll sputter as I go faster and it'll go away at high speed but always sputters in idle and low speeds
    Squealing when cold: Slipping belt? Soaked in oil or loose?

Sputtering: Loose vacuum hoses, stuck EGR valve, air flow meter to throttle body hose leak, carbon in throttle body, one of the tempertature sensors that are screwed into the neck around the coolant cap?

John

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

As I begin to put all the stuff back in after head gasket replacement I am questioning whether the bozo's that did the engine job put my power steering idler fully back together correctly. They bent the plate and broke the bolt. The sad thing is that they were suppose to be adjusting for my AC belt, not my power steering. So they said they replaced the bearing. The back plate to the pully was also bent and distorted. Does anyone have a break out of the pulley's assembly. This is how I got it. You can see the bent bracket and the marks on one plate. Just need the order they go back with.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Fantastic!!!!
    Thanks

MT