Thread: What's the recommended 15'' tire??

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '86 2wdAuto made it to 490k,now in van 'heaven' '88 panel 4x4 standard,,stolen in Tijuana jan 2012 '87 4x4 auto...new paint, now on th'road! '86 2wd auto 360k,,mint condition,had some fun, needs engi

What's the recommended 15'' tire??

...I'm needing to get some new tires for my 'other' van,,,which has 15'' rims,,
    ,,,,,thought I'd get the right fit for the Toyo4x I'm setting up,,,so I have the right tire when I'm ready to move on.......

..........what's the maximum size tire that fits the suzy rims and only requires a little cut'n'snip in the wheel-well??......any recommendations on brand,etc for the 'right' LT tire?

...metric equivalent?..... 215/70R15 = 27x8.5R15 ....sound correct?

.........I had some 27x8.5 Grabbers on my last van before it was swiped--loved-- them ,,,so started with that sizing...so far I got this..........

SURE GRIP LUG HF-2
    • Premium skid steer tire
    • For heavy duty applications
    • Loader design

Catalog #: 4GL339GY Ply Rating/Load Index: 6
    Size: 27x8.50-15NHS Rolling Circumference: 79
    Size (English Equiv.): -- Overall Diameter: 27.2
    TT/TL: tubeless Gross Flat Plate, in2: --
    Brand: Goodyear Loaded Radius: 12.2
    Inflation Pressure: 45 Rim Width: 7
    Max Load MPH: 5 Tire Width: 8.5
    Max Load pounds: 2480 Tread Depth 32nds inches: 18
    Special Order: no Weight: 29
    Back to Search Results

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: What's the recommended 15'' tire??

For Sammy rims the maximum is 215/75 R15. This will require some banging & trimming, but no major wheel well work. With the BFG All-Terrains in this size I've heard reports the sliding door will touch the tire, but with no noticeable resistance. Other brands & types of tires may vary. Tim

PS: Just in case you were seriously considering the type of tire above , keep in mind this tire would not be listed for highway use. I'm guessing it's got a max speed of about 30 MPH. There would be balance issues and safety concerns if you were to run it any faster. Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '86 2wdAuto made it to 490k,now in van 'heaven' '88 panel 4x4 standard,,stolen in Tijuana jan 2012 '87 4x4 auto...new paint, now on th'road! '86 2wd auto 360k,,mint condition,had some fun, needs engi

...thanks Tim--you're the mannn!

...that tire above is rated for -5- mph at max load....but what a show-stopper,eh!?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Lol, so at 30 mph you'd be exceeding the rated speed by 6X . On the rims, I think the person running the 215/75 R15 BFG All-Terrains was using Sidekick rims. I do believe that Sidekick and Sammy rims are the same though. To be safe, if you go with this tire, make sure the off-sets are close to stock Toyota off-sets or you will likely have severe fit/rubbing issues. Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    Lol, so at 30 mph you'd be exceeding the rated speed by 6X . On the rims, I think the person running the 215/75 R15 BFG All-Terrains was using Sidekick rims. I do believe that Sidekick and Sammy rims are the same though. To be safe, if you go with this tire, make sure the off-sets are close to stock Toyota off-sets or you will likely have severe fit/rubbing issues. Tim
    ..so it's the Suzy -samurai- that's the right offset ..any particular year-range?

there' a 215/75/15 General Grabber,,,actually on sale at Canadian Tire....anyone tried these for fit?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I've never messed with 15" rims, so I'm not speaking from personal experience. When it comes to this subject don't take my word for this, but regarding offset I believe the Sammy and Sidekick are close to the same as the van rims. There's another vehicle (Tracker I believe) that will bolt up but I think the off-set is not correct (close to zero) for running oversize tires.

To be safe, it's best to compare specs before purchasing & stay close to Toyota's original offset specs. The 4wd Toyota van had a stock rim size of 14" with a 5 X 5 1/2" bolt pattern. The rim width (in bead area) is 5 1/2". Stock offset is about 1 1/2" positive (or 38mm). Going with 15" rims won't matter as long as the overall tire size doesn't exceed what I wrote above. Going this big WILL require some grinding, cutting, pounding, and a mild lift (Cranking torsions all the way and spacing the rear springs with Mr Gasket spacers (top & bottom) should do the job. I'm not sure what the stock width is for the Sammy rims, but that won't make much difference (it's the overall width & height of the tire that matters). You can go slightly wider than what was listed above and/or go with different off-sets, but this will likely result in severe rubbing of the sliding door and or rubbing of the front tires while cornering. Good luck & keep us posted with what you get & how it works. Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

thanks again tim,,,still wondering what year range applies on the sami's and suzi's..if any.

...I -will- fill-out details,,but it will be a while........as I said in the OP,,I'll be throwing these on my nissan for a while,,,just realized to size them for the Toyo,,as they'll probably outlast the nissan

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    87 4x4

It has been discussed on TVP that 30" tires fit with some pounding of the fender wells.
    I am running 27" General grabbers on stock 14" rims and they only rub at full bump and full turn of the steering wheel.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

...picked up some 205-75-15's...they're on my nissan quest for now ,sacrilege I know!
    .....it's wonderful to have he traction,,,relatively quiet,,,rather than th'old shaggers I had

My Van(s):
    1987 LE 2wd capn chairs auto 1987 LE 4wd capn chairs 5speed Have owned:.......ive owned 8 other vans, i cant remember all of them sorry

Well i ordered some kenda klever at 235 75 15 for my new tracker steelies. They are identical to my 14s just a little bigger. The new tires are huge! I may have to get spacers for the rear. Kenda says they are 28.9 ousite diameter. I had similar on a leaf sprung van, we will see. I will make pics and measures

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    87 4x4

The back is easy. The front is more complicated. If you can weld: cut out the step in the door / foot well.
    I suggest removing the torsion bars so you can cycle the suspension full travel when checking the fit. Thats how i fit my 29.5" tires.
    I spent 3/4 hours moving sheet metal to make em fit.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

...and the saga continues......

...as mentioned above, I got some 15'' General Grabbers for my Nissan van,, with intention to eventually transfer to tracker rims for my toyo4by,,,, but last summer, I hit a deer,totaled that van down in california,, so lost those tires

......so now me's starting over

...is there a particular year-range of Tracker rims I should be looking for?....

I've found 2 sets available in my area, but they're said to be 5x 5.5'',,,
    ....but I measure my toyo 14'' rims to be 5x 5 1/4'' ,,,measuring bolt-center to 2nd center

........or am I measuring wrong??

edit...I notice up-thread that timo mentions the toyo is also 5x 5.5'',,, guess I'll take a look
    Last edited by micah202; 04-20-2016 at 10:27 PM.

My Van(s):
    1987 LE 2wd capn chairs auto 1987 LE 4wd capn chairs 5speed Have owned:.......ive owned 8 other vans, i cant remember all of them sorry

Measure center of one stud to outside of other stud. If you have a 4wd van, tracker rims will fit. Should be any years, alloy or steel. I got 15 inch tracker wheels from a 98, they fit great, but the toyota center caps wont fit.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by gushaman View Post
    Measure center of one stud to outside of other stud. If you have a 4wd van, tracker rims will fit. Should be any years, alloy or steel. I got 15 inch tracker wheels from a 98, they fit great, but the toyota center caps wont fit.

...thanks for the deets.... whodathunk they get measured center to edge!?

...have a set lined up with some nice looking 205/75's on for a C'note,
    I've gotten superstitious after putting 2 new sets of Grabbers on and losing the van each time

My Van(s):

Screwy aint it 0_o i just found out last week!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

It's not really screwy as the studs are all mounted with the centers on a 5.5" diameter circle. The screwy part comes from that cheat way of measuring. Since there's 5 studs, none are 180° apart. If it were a 4 bolt pattern (opposing studs 180° apart) you would measure center to center. On a 5 bolt pattern (studs 72° apart), due to the diameter of the studs, it just works out by chance the inside edge of one stud is 5.5" to the center of an opposing stud (you're measuring to a stud 144° away).

An easier and more sure way to determine stud placement is to pick-up a paper template at a tire store and just hold it up to compare. Here's the one I use for small rigs:

My Van(s):

Thanks Tim!

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

...just picked up a set of sidekick rims with LT205/75/15's,,they fit pretty well, with a small trim at fwd on the front's, 1/4'' clearance on the sliding door, and what a difference in ride!,,,feels more solid and stable at highway speeds.

....methinks 205's is a happy medium on enlarging wheels,tires ,,,, feels similar to the work required for General Grabber 27,8.5's