Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brakes locking up or dragging — stuck/sticky brake calipers

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    85 TV 2wd M/T 87 4x4 LE A/T

Stuck caliper 87 4x4

my front right caliper is seized and was smoking when I stopped today.
    i don't have the van in a good place to leave it for 3 days.

Is is it worth it to disassemble the caliper and try to repair?
    or is it very unsafe to remove the caliper and drive the van to a 'better' location where I can leave it and wait for the part?

any advice would be greatly appreciated

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1990 Hiace Super Custom 4WD diesel

Re: Stuck caliper 87 4x4

Is it possible to install new (both sides) where it is?
    Removing a caliper would compromise the braking system.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    88 LE 4WD 5spd (keeper) 87 LE 4WD Auto (2nd van, gone to a good home) 84 LE (1st van, gone to a good home)

What did you end up doing?

This happened to me just last week! I went for a test drive after some repair work and realized I had a frozen caliper. I pulled into the shop and they confirmed the obvious. I was nervous about driving home, but it was only 2.2 miles and I reasoned that many hills or mountain roads are 2.2 miles long and it's easy to imagine riding the brakes down a decline of that or greater distance. The guys in the shop were happy to put my van on the lift and stare at it with the wheel off, while we let the brakes cool down. It's always kinda fun to drive into a small shop with one of these vans (esp in the east where vans are more rare) because many of the garage employees are younger than the van. Coincidentally, my caliper came unstuck on my drive home.

To add to this thread... when I got home and went to Rockauto to order calipers I did not know if I should go with A1-Cardone or Raybestos (only options in-stock & 4WD). I read on another forum that people preferred Raybestos and did not like A1 for whatever reason, so I went with the slightly more expensive Raybestos. Are there opinions on aftermarket caliper brands? I got new lines too, since who knows how old mine are.

I have had calipers freeze before and an extra $8/caliper would be worth it to me to avoid the problem again. 1st time was after Les Schwab installed calipers in Seattle. After that repair I departed for Boston and shortly after arriving my new calipers froze. Les Schwab made good on their guarantee by paying for new calipers and labor at a non-Les Schwab shop in Boston. Good karma for Les Schwab. Wish they had shops in the east. Anyway, 4 years later those calipers have frozen and I'm about to install Raybestos.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

I was able to get a caliper from auto zone. They had to special order it (with the bracket). I just 'finished' installing it and the bleeder valve is stripped ☹️. And they can't get me a relacemet until Tuesday. It's currently Friday..

Im in the process of putting my old caliper back on.. See what happens from there

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

the bleeder valve snapped off while I was reinstalling the original caliper.. Now pressure isn't building in the break pedal /:

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    '86 Toy Van

Trouble putting caliper back on after installing ball joint and rotor/brakes?

I guys/gals I have a few more questions. As a first timer I recently replaced the lower ball joint and rotor/brakes, but...

If you can see in the picture here, the longer bolt of the three that hold the caliper in place will not go in because the two holes before the threading on the caliper are slightly off. I have no idea how to align them back up. Any suggestions?

Name:  align-608x1080.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  78.3 KB

Also, the driver side caliper swivels easily on the top hinge but my passenger side one is VERY firm and hard to move. Any more suggestions?

Name:  stuck.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  49.0 KB

Thanks!

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    93 Toyota townace 4x4

Re: Trouble putting caliper back on after installing ball joint and rotor/brakes?

yeah pull the sliders out and grease them. if they are corroded go over them lightly with a wire wheel to remove any corrosion, then grease and put it back together. if your struggling with getting the bolts started loosen them off and get them all threaded first. then once they are definitely started you can do them all up. if the pads are interfering when you try and put the calliper back on take them back out. use a g clamp to wind the pistons back in and try again. loosen the top bolt and use a punch to try and align the bolt holes.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    '86 Toy Van

Re: Trouble putting caliper back on after installing ball joint and rotor/brakes?

Okay, got it all working, thanks.

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

Having a caliper bleeder screw break off is a PITA ('cuz dealing with it takes more time, dammit), but it's not uncommon. If you don't have the skills and tools (or time) to remove it yourself, take the caliper to a local machine shop to have the remains of the bleeder screw removed. An auto parts store may also be able to help — my local CarQuest will do this, for instance.

Replacement bleeder screws are not Van-specific; they are also not 2WD or 4WD specific. For instance, Carlson Part #H94112 Caliper Bleeder Screw (available at Rock Auto for a mere $1.38 each plus shipping) is listed as fitting a multitude of vehicles, including all Toyotas made between 1969 and 1997 (!).

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")