Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 30" tires and power, Aerostar springs

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    87 4x4

30" tires and power, Aerostar springs

I remember reading over on TVP that folks fitted 30" tires with some fender mods.

I'm curious how much power was lost?
    What was the RPM change?

I'm currently on 27"s that need to be replaced soon. Debating getting 15" rims for more size options.

thoughts from the experienced?

Thanks!

My Van(s):
    1987 LE 2wd capn chairs auto 1987 LE 4wd capn chairs 5speed Have owned:.......ive owned 8 other vans, i cant remember all of them sorry

Re: 30" tires and power

I just got 5 tracker 15s. Trying to decide on tires. Did you upgrade your rims or just replace tires. If so what size. Also what brand and model. I am lookong at ta ko, some kumhos, some grabbers...... i prefer a very stiff sidewall. Amd sonce i got the 15s there are more size options, such as

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    87 4x4

I got tracker rims.
    About 10,000 miles now. No cracks.
    I wanted to get general grabbers again but they we're not available in 30". I was crushed. They grabbed every thing.

I got talked into a version of good year wranglers. 225-75-15s. It took some fender well hammering and welding to fit them. Mostly the foot well needs to be moved forward with out affecting the door seal.
    I get a little rubbing occasionally on a bump.
    They are not noisy. They have not seen a lot of dirt or snow time yet.
    Side wall is much stiffer than the grabbers. The front is the van is heavy. With the wranglers there is almost no bulge. I think they are 6 ply.

Torque is down a little but on the hwy I think all the rotating mass is like a bigger fly wheel. Once everything is spinning on the hwy power it's normal.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5-speed

Any pics?

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    87 4x4

Starting in the rear: No sheet metal work. But i am running Ford Aerostar van springs and Tacoma Bisten HD shocks.
    Approx 2" lift.

IMG_20150106_164510_226.jpg

View of the Front. No mud flaps. Light pounding on the rear heater guard.
    IMG_20150106_164449_057.jpg

Behind the front tire.
    IMG_20150106_164557_351.jpg

Infront of the tire. From the Tires perspective. This is the tricky part. Pay attention to the area that makes the door seal. If you get crazy with the hammer you will push the metal out so the door does not close with out slamming it.

The metal in this contains a lot of crimped and sandwiched sheet metal. When I started beating on the sheet metal separates. Which is OK. If an area i wanted to move was not moving I cut it with the grinder. If an area was moving that I did not want to: I tacked it with the welder. ( LIKE THE DOOR SEAL area) The sandwiched metal works out quite well because you can fold it over the open gaps that are created.

This probably makes no sense but hopefully it will help someone once they start the process.

IMG_20150106_164548_805.jpg

Another view of in front of the tire. I trimmed about 3/8 of material off the fender because it pushed out and affected the door closing.

IMG_20150106_164613_807.jpg

Finally I notched the door about 1/2 inch.

IMG_20150106_164624_263.jpg

I painted it white and took it for a spin. Missing paint told me where the rubbing is.

To finish i welded caulked and painted.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5-speed

Wonderful, Thanks! Bilstein HD's are certainly the way to go, they are stiff so they work well with softer springs, and they just get better as time goes on! (They might ride a little tight for 6-7000 miles, and then they hit the sweet spot.) Do you have any problems with the slider door?

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    87 4x4

With tracker rims: Nothing hits the slider door.

I tried F150 rims (same bolt pattern as the van) but they hang out much wider. My slider door hit the rim with out a tire on it.
    F150 Rims are a dime a dozen and definitely load rated.

Its not impossible to make the slider swing wider. Josh Hennen did it to Death Metal. I was not interested in the time suck.
    Josh told me if he had to do it again he would make the slider swing up. Ala Star Trek Shuttle Craft Style.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5-speed

Right on, good to know! The shuttle style hatch sounds sweet, and would certainly be better than a draw-bridge!

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

You could always do this too:http://www.delica.ca/forum/l300-stre...-8918-165.html Scroll down a few posts for pics

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5-speed

Wow, that is a Freaka-Delica! Wonderful, I love the 6x6!

And then I saw this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLMY...0F2B3CBE92664F

What do you think the mpg is? Looks like 4-wheel steering as well...

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    89 4wd

Coronan,

I'm trying to get that 2" in the rear. Do the Aerostar springs fit in with no mods and give 2" lift or do you still need to use the mr. gasket spacers. Any idea what year springs will work or what year yours are? And are the Bilstein shocks you used part #48530-A9680 ? Thanks

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    87 4x4

The problem with Spacers is they DO NOT gain more wheel travel need for off road.

I'm running the aero star springs with no mods to the van. I may have had to trim the top or bottom the spring to fit it to the bucket.
    If you want I can take pictures, Installed. It was at lease 4 year ago. The process is fuzzy.

I have about 12 in wheel travel in the rear.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    89 4wd

Pictures would be much appreciated. I'd like to avoid the spacer on the bottom or both if possible. The aerostar spring sounds like the perfect solution. I just wanted to make sure i get the correct year for fitment unless they are all the same. A quick search pulls up all kinds for around $50 and most say they fit for an aerostar 86-97. So I assume if i found any year aerostar at the junkyard it would probably fit the toyota van.

Also the shock # 48530-A9680 will fit with no modifications? Is this correct?
    Last edited by rowemjr; 01-16-2015 at 11:57 AM.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    87 4x4

Ford Aerostar Van Springs Installed 5 years ago.

If i remember right they bolt into the top of the frame rail on an Aero Star. These bolts were horribly rusted and took a lot of fighting in the yard. Take a long 1/2 ratchet and oil, If your going to pull your own. Wire brush the threads. Accessable by removing some interior paneling inside the back.

I cut off that part because the diameter reduces.

1. Looking over the tire
    IMG_20150125_185536_773.jpg

2. Looking from underneath

IMG_20150125_185618_451.jpg
    IMG_20150125_185628_765.jpg

Full cycle of the each wheel is about 12" limited by the shock on droop.
    If I moved the shock mount up 1" I could get a little more.

They have treated me well especially on trips to the Rubicon and Lippincott pass, Death Valley.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs - Sold. Grey 1987 4wd Cargo conversion, automatic in repair mode.

Are you using the Tacoma Bilstein HD's for the front shocks too Coronan?

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    87 4x4

No the cop car shocks. Motorcraft pn ASH1

96-2001 ford crown vic with POLICE SUSPENSION
    http://www.toyotavanpeople.com/forum...+shocks#p55467
    You see the front of the van only has 4" of travel.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs - Sold. Grey 1987 4wd Cargo conversion, automatic in repair mode.

I noticed that the front is definitely not as high as the back on your van- Is that with your custom torsion bars too(from the 4runner)? Are they cranked? Are they bouncy bouncy? I'm using the Durango's from that Tvt thread that Rawb was very emphatic about, and I am not so impressed. I still haven't checked my torsion bars, but after I do(if they're not cranked all the way), I'm going back to my old gabby's that came with the van. Funny thing is someone on here just got new Toyota 4wd shocks, at least that's what I understood from his post. http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...ghlight=shocks
    I'll ask him what he thinks of them.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    87 4x4

The back is high because of the Aerostar springs. (~ 2" lift) Loaded up for the weekend the back will come down about an inch.

My goal with the 4runner torsion bars was to improve ride quality. Not gain lift.
    My stock t bars were preloaded to the point they were maxed out. (you know it when you crank them some more but ride height does not increase. They are actually stretching.) Rebound was horrible. It would buck me out of my seat if I drove over a curb or large bump.

So when I switched to the 4runner t bars I measured ride before the swap and set it up the same ride height. 18.5" hub to fender. Ride quality is much, much more enjoyable. The motorcraft shocks allow 1 gentle bounce like an off road suspension should . And my stuff doesn't get thrown off the dash any more. If ya know what I mean?

Here is the write up:
    http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...ll=1#post12805

Approx 60,000 mi on the shocks, and they are still good.

Some day I will get around to fabbing a 2" lift for the front. So i can fit a 4runner diff with aussie locker.

I'd like to see someone install dual shocks on each side in the front. I'll bet it would improve the logging truck bounce, everyone speaks of. There is room in there.
    Last edited by coronan; 02-17-2015 at 09:31 AM.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Very cool, thanks for the info. Dual shocks sound great.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    87 4WD LE

Quote Originally Posted by rowemjr View Post

Also the shock # 48530-A9680 will fit with no modifications? Is this correct?

was this the correct part number for the shock you used? i read this thread a couple times and i dont think you confirmed it. also, any modification to the shock to fit out vans?

thanks in advance!