Thread: Battery charged, van won't start

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    current - 87 4WD Hi/Lo manual past - 89 LE 2wd. 87 cargo 4WD auto, 87 manual, 87 auto

Battery charged, van won't start

Hi folks. After a few years without a trusty Toyota Van in my driveway, I'm finally back in the club with an '87 2WD manual trans cargo! This makes #5 for me, and I'm pretty stoked!

However, there's issues-a-plenty to deal with here, starting with, well... starting. I've not a ton of time for deeper diagnostics right now, so here's the quick skinny:

Battery is fully charged at just over 12.5 volts. However, when measuring at the positive terminal post in the engine compartment, i.e where ya hook up the positive jumper cable, i read only 5.95 volts. Van starts right up from a jump-start, albeit with the classic christmas lights.

Where do I start? What's between the battery and the engine compartment that could cause a 6 volt voltage drop that's not read at the battery itself? Any ideas and direction pointing most appreciated... thanks y'all!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 cargo van

Re: Battery charged, van won't start

Not sure if this helps or not but I had a similar issue with my 88 cargo van... There was 2 issues with my van, one was a fused line from the battery positive cable that had badly corroded and needed replacing, and the other was a fuse link in the battery well area. 1.25B I think that I had to replace and it seemed to fix the problems I had with the van not starting and all the lights coming on.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Yes, sounds like a bad fusible link or perhaps a bad connection at the battery terminal(s). If you're checking for voltage at the + box under the hood, make sure your meter has a good ground. If it does and still reads low, run the negative lead of your meter directly to the negative side of the battery. If doing that reflects battery voltage, then your problem is a bad ground. The battery ground cable goes from the battery to the frame, then on to the rear lower bolt of your motor mount (where it attaches to the block). Make sure all the connection points are tight & clean. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    current - 87 4WD Hi/Lo manual past - 89 LE 2wd. 87 cargo 4WD auto, 87 manual, 87 auto

Ahh yes, fusible links! A quick check reveals there are NONE of them in the van.

It's been years, but I had a similar issue on my old 4WD van. Corroded links lead to Christmas lights.

Not 100% sure where these go though... isn't there supposed to be one from both the Pos and Neg terminals of the battery? Where do they run to?

edit: reading fusible link thread now
    Last edited by Sam Humans; 05-16-2014 at 01:24 PM.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

OK guys, here's a few pics to show you what I'm dealing with.

Negative battery terminal:
    Name:  neg.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  80.7 KB
    What's supposed to be attached to the empty yellow crimp?

Here's the positive side. Hmmm.
    Name:  pos.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  81.3 KB
    Up top, the yellow box, is that a fusible link? Could that be the FL1.25B? On the clear plastic cover it says 60A 32V. (I don't see anything underneath the battery tray, fyi) Also, note the discoloration of the yellow plastic. From heat, obviously, but why/how?

The FL 0.5G is there and seems to be in good shape.

But what I don't see, unless I'm mistaken, is the FL 2.0L. Could that be the problem, right there?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Somebody's been messing around with this. I'm okay with alternate methods to get the job done, but correct gauge wire & fuse values need to be adhered to. Cheesy connectors & crimps have no place in this area. Anything that looks burnt or corroded is also bad.

Use the fusible link thread to determine correct wire & fuse sizes, then repair as required. If you don't have the tools to make solid crimps & connections, then you'll need to find somebody who does. Have fun & good luck. Tim