Thread: Passenger Side Engine Heat!?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van LE RWD. Auto (Sold) 1989 MasterAce Surf Grand Saloon Diesel (Sold)

Passenger Side Engine Heat!?

Hey!

First time van owner here. Just got an '87 LE RWD Van few days ago and everything is in great shape! Loving it so far.

One issue I noticed after driving for more than 30-40 mins there is a lot of heat coming up from the front passenger site, right where the seat belt buckle is/center area. It gets very hot.

I lifted up the carpet in the center and noticed that the rubber seal that I assume goes around the service hatch is kind of ruined in that area where the heat is coming up. Would this be the cause? Does anyone have a part # or know where I can get a new rubber seal to keep the heat out of the cabin?

Thanks for any help!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Passenger Side Engine Heat!?

Hi & welcome to TVT! Yes, having a torn gasket here this is a common cause for engine heat getting into the cab. The part is: Toyota #5843-587001 Packing, Engine Main. MSRP is around $100. Last one I got was back in 2011 & I was told I got the very last one. I would still recommend trying to get one though as there have been many times I was able to get parts that were previously "NLA". Unfortunately these are almost always "hard" parts (engine/drive train related). Stuff for body like door gaskets window seals etc have NEVER become available to me EVER after being told NLA. If your dealer can get one please let the rest of us know. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van LE RWD. Auto (Sold) 1989 MasterAce Surf Grand Saloon Diesel (Sold)

Re: Passenger Side Engine Heat!?

Awesome, Thanks Tim! I searched on Quickparter and it said that this part is available from 25 shops. 24 in the US and 1 in Japan. So maybe there still is hope? I ordered it and hopefully its available.. If not, are there any other solutions or DIY fixes?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    none yet, actively seraching

#5843-587001 "Packing, Engine Main", alternatives?

Hey I have a section damaged of the rubber seal that lines the engine compartment top below the driver's seat. Per a post by Tim in the past it is #5843-587001 "Packing, Engine Main". Does anyone have a good alternative as that part is not available? I have been researching high-temperature rated other rubber seals as well as gasket maker, but wondering if anyone found something that works well.

Name:  engine seal.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  96.2 KB