Thread: Van will not start

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 1985 Elegante

Van will not start

1985 Ran fine yesterday, today will not start. Fuel hand does not work well so I thought it might be out of gas. Put in 4 gallons still will not start. I sprayed starting fluid in the intake and she fired right up.....until the fluid was gone :-( My question is....what next? How do I check the fuel pump or any other things I should check for first?

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs - Sold. Grey 1987 4wd Cargo conversion, automatic in repair mode.

Re: Van will not start

Go down to about the 13th picture in Tim's thread. There's a check connector(right by the air intake hose) that you put in a paper clip-or wire- to bridge the connection. You should hear a 'whirring' of the fuel going through the lines. At least that's for a 1986-89 van but I'd wager it's the same for the '85. The key should be turned to the 'run' position.

http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...uel+pump+check

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 1985 Elegante

Thanks so much for the info on the fuel pump test plug! I jumped it and the only thing I here is a relay clicking under the dash.....no sound of the fuel pump or any fuel going thru the lines.

So I am guessing my fuel pump has died?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

If you're hearing the relay, then that narrows it down significantly. Could be the relay contacts or the wires from the relay to the pump, but I'd give it 90 something percent odds it's a bad fuel pump. To rule out the relay contacts and the power side of the relay circuit you could pull the glove box and put a test light on the wire going from the relay to the pump. If it lights up with the check connector jumped then you've narrowed it down to the pump and/or the wires between it & the relay. You can track the relay by listening to it clicking (while a helper moves the jumper in & out). You can verify when you find as it will have "circuit opening relay" printed on it. I'm pretty sure I made an earlier post with more info on wire colors, etc. One other potential trouble spot is where the wires hook up to the fuel pump port on the tank (corrosion can form here & compromise the connections). Good luck. Tim

PS: I found a good deal on fuel pumps on eBay for around $35. Just search my prior posts with the terms "eBay fuel pump" and I'm sure you'll find it. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 1985 Elegante

Finally had a little time to check under the van and found that I have about 12 volts coming in on the 2 fuel pump wires while the switch is on and the fuel pump jumper wire in place. So I think you are right and the fuel pump is history! I could not get my hand on top of the tank to check the wires from the connector to the pump but I tugged on them a bit and they feel secure....so now I think it is time to drop the tank........

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I'd say so. Even if it was only corrosion on top of the tank you'd still need to drop in order to get access. Dropping the tank isn't that bad. I've dropped tanks & replaced fuel pumps inside of 2 hrs. Of course this was on a van without any severe corrosion underneath (all the bolts came right out). I recommend draining the tank before dropping (much lighter & safer depending on volume of fuel inside). Hint: drains faster & more complete if the gas cap is off. The square drive end of a 3/8" ratchet or extension works well for the drain plug. One thing worth noting is the joint where the flexible fuel line from the tank attaches to the steel line on the body. For some stupid reason Toyota uses "interference threads" here. This means you can't just break it loose and spin it off.........you have to use wrenches to turn it all the way (about 6 or 7 complete revolutions). You don't get the best access here to swing your wrenches so it's one flat at a time while fuel is dripping down your sleeve . Recommend using good quality tubing wrenches for this fitting (at least to break it loose). Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 1985 Elegante

Thanks so much for the information...I did not even know it had a drain plug! Also, I noticed that the wires going to the sending unit have been rubbing the drive shaft and were almost worn completely through. So all you can lovers, if your fuel gauge is acting up like mine, you might check those wires close to the tank and make sure the drive shaft is not eating away at them!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 1985 Elegante

Quote Originally Posted by lamont View Post
    Thanks so much for the information...I did not even know it had a drain plug! Also, I noticed that the wires going to the sending unit have been rubbing the drive shaft and were almost worn completely through. So all you can lovers, if your fuel gauge is acting up like mine, you might check those wires close to the tank and make sure the drive shaft is not eating away at them!
    Finally got around to installing my new fuel pump/strainer.......the van lives again!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them