Thread: Van wont start! P.s Hi!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Toyota van 2wd '86

Unhappy Van wont start! P.s Hi!

Hello ! My name is Ivan and i am proud recent owner an 86 toyota van 2wd. I had one before and i loved them! Unfortunately i had to sell it but recently ive aquired a nice toyota van again but this one is giving me a lot of trouble!

It all started with hesitation and backfiring and loss of power while i was on my way to the farm and now it wont start at all! I replaced rotor, cap, vacuum hoses (most of them) , spark plugs, main relay, fuel pump (denso), fuel filter, motor oil, tranny oil and the tank was a little rusty and full of crud (van was sitting with old fuel for 5 years) so i cleaned it and put phosphoric acid in it. Also changed the air intake hose to the maf as the old one was toast. Heres what i checked so far:

1. Fuel to the fuel rail is ok. Didnt do a pressure test but i unscrewed the screw below the fuel rail and the pressure seemed great.
    2. Spark is pretty good. Bluish tinge and good spark
    3. Spark plugs are dry even though ive been cranking the engine which seems odd since it has good fuel pressure.
    4.injectors has 12v on both leads and there pulsing.
    5.checked voltage to cold start injector and resistance and it seems ok.
    6.all the fuses are a ok . Circuit opening relay is working and the fuse block fuses are ok too.
    7. Cranks fine so i dont think compression is a problem (the van was running fine then it stopped running fine. Maybe ignition timing?)
    8.swapped ECU and still no go.
    Im stumped here so any help would be eternally aprecciated!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Toyota van 2wd '86

Re: Van wont start! P.s Hi!

Oh i forgot to mention! The van is throwing a code 11 which i think its the tps but im not sure though!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Sounds like you checked it all, but yet something has been missed. Basically 3 things are needed for the engine to run:

1. Properly timed spark

2. Fuel

3. Compression

Spark. I have some concerns with spark. You can see a spark, but sparking at atmospheric pressure is different then sparking with ~160 psi inside the cylinder. It's the backfire part of your story that makes me think we may be dealing with a faulty coil. Timing of the spark may be in question, but since it was running before, about the only thing that can affect this would be a timing chain issue (not likely). A timing chain issue would also affect compression & since that sounds normal I think we can rule this out. A broken sheer pin on the distributor gear could cause this but that's not likely either. You can check spark timing by rotating engine until the timing mark aligns with TDC. Then pull the distributor cap and check the rotor. It should be pointing at #1 spark plug contact or 180 deg out from that. While the cap is off, rotate the engine a bit more to verify the rotor turns with the crank.

Fuel. If you're cranking without fire, and the spark plugs don't get wet, then that's cause to suspect a fuel problem. Jump the "fuel pump check connector", turn the key to "run" and listen for the sound of fuel flowing through the fuel rail. If you don't hear that then you likely have a bad fuel pump. There's several threads here where we've covered this test, so if you search the site you will find more detailed instructions with pics etc. An alternative way to check this is to take the intake tube loose, spray some starter fluid into the throttle body, put the hose back on & try to start. If it starts for a moment, then you'll know it's a fuel issue.

Compression. We can probably just skip over compression as this is not the likely cause, especially since cranking sounds normal. Good luck. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Toyota van 2wd '86

Im gonna post a youtube video explaining the problem. Its uploading!

Well i checked timing and it seems good. Rotor is pointed at #1 spark wire at tdc.
    Fuel pump jumper connector works and fuel pump whirrs with the on position.
    Spark plugs are still dry. May be the injectors not pulsing properly. I seriously doubt clogged injectors.
    Can someone show me a picture of wheres the efi relay? I changed the main relay but i heard theres an efi relay but i dont know where it is.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Toyota van 2wd '86

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Ivan - If you've been repeatedly trying to start the van and the plugs are still dry, you simply aren't getting fuel into the combustion chambers.
    Did this trouble start before or after the tank cleaning?
    If before, I would suspect the injectors are plugged with rust silt and shellacs from the old fuel.
    Rust silt can be so fine that it can pass through the fuel filter, maybe cutting open the old filter will also shed some light on the current issue.
    The gums and shellacs that form are just as deadly to fine orifices like injectors.
    If you guys have to suffer ethanol, that only makes all the issues worse, real gas can have a pretty decent lifespan but ethanol enhanced fuel has trouble making it 6 months in storage, a little Seafoam will help significantly, in that regard.

I also would not assume that the fuel pressure is good just because you had a good spray when cracking a fitting loose.
    Under those circumstances, even 5 psi in the rail will be enough to make a good mess but may not be enough to run the engine.
    At least by verifying what the actual pressure is, you'll be able to eliminate one more variable.
    BB

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Toyota van 2wd '86

UPDATE!
    So i checked with a guy that knows about these vans and he went to my house to look at the van to check my problem. Anyways, he was checking the distributor and found a screw laying by the rotor shaft! I nevee noticed it! Mustve been my dad when he changed the cap and rotor lols. Well he checked spark and told me it was weak and it wasnt enough for the van to start. That explains why it doesnt start with starting fluid! Another test we did and i know its not a pretty safe test but i went ahead and primed the injectors directly with the car battery and they sprayed good so there not clogged (at least the first two inj.)
    I dont know why there not injecting fuel normally but i suspect the distributor, coil or pickup coil has something to do with it? Anyways, tomorrow the guy is bringing me a distributor so we can test it but im still worried about the injectors not injecting fuel. Any tips? Thanks

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Toyota van 2wd '86

Van starts! but loses power while driving!

Well i changed the whole distributor and it starts right up now! Now i got another problem!"
    Engine stalls if i push the gas pedal and loses power!