Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blew the rear main oil seal! [Engine Overhaul]

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Blew the rear main oil seal! [Engine Overhaul]

I installed the filter today. Here's a link to the write-up: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...3388#post13388

My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van 2WD 394K (Re-ringed Engine at 300K, Replaced HG, Still has original timing chain and oil pump) 1989 Toyota Van 2WD Purchased @ 171K now 220K

Where did you get the freeze plugs for this engine? And how did you install it? Any special technique? I think on mine the one near cylinder 1 is leaking. I wonder if it can be replaced with the van on the lift and from underneath without taking the exhaust manifold off, What do you think?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Here's the part where I talk about that:

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    I install new freeze plugs (sorry, no pics). I put a little bit of Aviation Form-A-Gasket in the bores & drive them in with a special driving tool. Assuming you don't have the driver, a large socket can be used. If using the socket method, it's important to select a socket that fits on the outer edge of the plug, yet small enough to slip into the bore (side of block). If the socket slips into the inner or lower surface of the plug, you need a bigger socket.
    Freeze plugs would be available almost anywhere, but I got mine on eBay (click on the blue text above to take you there). Manifold would probably not be too much of an issue, but the heater hose return pipe would be in your way (would need to come off). Alternator and maybe PS pump would likely need to be removed for access too. Using a driver like mine would be out, but perhaps the socket method would work. You would likely need to resort to the temporary rubber expanding type. I hate those things, but they have their purpose. The problem with the rubber ones is the metal under the rubber can rust, and that can make the surface uneven, allowing another leak.

Freeze plugs are just one of those things that should be installed while the block is bare and on an engine stand.

BTW, I see rockauto has the metal freeze plugs for around $.40 each (but they'll probably want $10 to ship them). Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '86 Van

Re: Blew the rear main oil seal!

tim whats the deal with the hole on the right of the oil filter housing?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

It's the spot a mechanical fuel pump would mount for vehicles so equipped. Carbureted applications of the 4y still use the mechanical fuel pump (the 4y in my forklift has a fuel pump mounted here). Since our North American vans are fuel injected we have no use for a mechanical fuel pump. Instead there is a composite spacer plate & an aluminum mount plate for the fuel filter. Even though this port still exists, no gaskets for it are included in most gasket kits. An interesting bit of trivia......Even though our vans are fuel injected, not only do we still have the mechanical fuel pump port, but we also still have a fuel pump lobe on the camshaft. Here's a picture of the plates that sit over it and a quote from earlier in this thread:

For the bottom end gaskets & seals I used Enginetech #T02.2CS. For the top end I used a genuine Toyota Valve Grind Gasket kit part #04112-73035. One thing worth noting, although the van has an electric fuel pump (in the tank), the 4y has provisions for a mechanical fuel pump. The port (on the right side of the block) is simply blocked off & serves as a mount for the fuel filter. Since the port is still there, you still need the fuel pump gasket (2 of them.......one for each side of the spacer). For reasons unknown, most 4y gasket kits don't include this gasket. I got my 2 fuel pump gaskets (Fel-Pro 70627) off of Amazon.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD 5Spd LE Lifted 2" with Tracker aluminum 15" wheels and 215/75/15 tires 95 4Runner 00 4Runner 3in lift 84 Extra Cab 4WD Pickup 4.5 in lift 79 Supra with 70,000 miles 86 MR2 with a V6 5speed swa

I have just recently rebuilt my engine. Full rebuild with cylinders .010 over and pistons to match, new oil pump, crank polished and rods checked, new cam, timing set and lifters. Head resurfaced, and full valve job. Beautiful work of art. I've gotten about 250 miles on it and now when it gets up to temp the oil pressure gauge drops low and there is a rattle at 3,000 rpm and above. I checked pressure at cold idle and it's 60 psi. Have not checked it warm yet but ordered a new Aisin pump and going to shim the regulator. Have you seen any problems like this? I am running 10-30 and the gauge when cold reads up on the gauge in between the marks, but warm drops to almost the bottom. Quiet when the oil pressure is high so I'm thinking there are no problems internally other than oil pump. Any info would be great, by the way it's an 88 4WD LE 5 speed. Thanks.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

It's hard to know for sure, but these are tough oil pumps and they hardly ever fail. Some will probably disagree with me, but I like 10W40 oil in these engines........especially if there's a little slop and/or wear on things. Keep in mind the only thing that keeps oil pressure high is the tight fit between the moving parts. Toyota builds these extremely tight, they even make custom size bearings for the initial build. They dial the clearances right in on gnat's ass. Unless you do yourself and spend a small fortune on custom sized OE bearings (assuming they're still available) your run of the mill overhaul/rebuild typically won't get clearances this tight. Typically things will be "in the zone" just not perfect. When there's more room between moving parts, the oil flows faster and pressures go down. Not saying this is your issue, but it's more likely than a failed oil pump.

If you're really concerned about that, you should do some pressure testing before changing parts. With 10-30, I would think 20+ PSI would be okay at hot cruising speed. At a hot idle, pressure can drop down below 10 with no issue. If there is noise I guess that depends on where and how loud. If it's a rod knock, then that sucks. IMO valve noise is more likely. As shown in my last block entry (linked in this thread), the rocker shaft can be installed upside down, and that will make a racket. If you look through this thread you will also see some clearance issues I had with my big timing gear. If the assembly person used an aftermarket timing set and failed to check clearances, that could be making noise. Noises are so hard to narrow down by description. Hard enough when the vehicle is there in front of you. If you paid a professional to do the job, I would recommend taking it back as it should be their responsibility to make sure things are right. Good luck. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD 5Spd LE Lifted 2" with Tracker aluminum 15" wheels and 215/75/15 tires 95 4Runner 00 4Runner 3in lift 84 Extra Cab 4WD Pickup 4.5 in lift 79 Supra with 70,000 miles 86 MR2 with a V6 5speed swa

My original pump was an enginetech brand, that's why I'm am thinking to just replace it with the shimmed Aisin. I would rather have slightly higher pressure than slightly lower. 10 seems awefully low especially if you've seen the aftermarket kits not have as good clearance. Its been a while since I've put the motor together but I know all the clearances were within spec. Replacing the pump today so hopefully all goes well.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs - Sold. Grey 1987 4wd Cargo conversion, automatic in repair mode.

I switched the longer Toyota oil filter and my pressure went up.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Glad that helped. Did you switch to the taller filter or away from it?

A bit of van trivia: For vans equipped with the idiot light (instead of the oil pressure gauge), the idiot light is set to come on when oil pressure drops below 4 psi .

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs - Sold. Grey 1987 4wd Cargo conversion, automatic in repair mode.

I switched to the taller filter.
    After I had my engine rebuilt it had lower oil pressure than before and I couldn't figure it out. Then I bought the taller filter that you said filters more oil(I was getting Toyota filters anyway) and blam-o! Higher oil pressure. Actually it went back to the pressure I had previously. I just look at my stock Toyota gauge so I don't really have any numbers of what the pressures are, but on the analog gauge it is just below the halfway mark at higher rpm's-3-4,000.
    I don't understand why the pressure would go up with more filter though? Shouldn't it go down?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Oh, and I should update on my overhaul.......So far I've driven over 35k trouble free miles since completing this job (not counting the fuel/injector screen problem). Since making that filter mod the injectors have been happy. I replaced the pleated filter element once after the 1st 5k miles and it looked good (most of the debris was trapped in the bottom of the canister. Since then I've driven it over 25k miles on the same filter element. I installed a fuel pressure gauge (after the filter) and so far pressure/flow has been good. I open the hood and check levels every 2,500k miles. So far the only thing I've needed to do is add 1/2 qt oil between my 5k oil changes. Tim

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by djshimon View Post
    I don't understand why the pressure would go up with more filter though? Shouldn't it go down?
    Good question. Oil goes from the pump directly to the oil filter, so if the filter is restrictive the pressure to everything else will go down. That being said, the oil pressure reading is taken from the filter base, but I can't recall if that port is before or after the filter. If before, having a restrictive filter would make pressure go up (at least to the gauge). If after, having a restrictive filter would make pressure go down. Based on your experience, I'm guessing the pressure gauge port is located on the output side of the filter. Make sense? Tim

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Aha. Yes I think so.
    I like your filter mod too and if I have problems again I will surely do that.

My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 5 speed dlx 1987 4x4 5 speed cargo 1987 4x4 5 speed LE 1987 2wd 5 speed cargo conversion 1989 2wd auto cargo parts van

i recently purchased some closeout beck/arnley piston kits from rockauto for cheap, kinda hoping they were japanese oems or close..the korean made pistons i recieved seem a little crude and rough in the casting department, and then im like, 'wheres the pin clips and grooves? these are defective!' then i look in my fsm and read that the pins are pressed in! ive been wrenching on .mostly motorcycles and plenty of cars for a while and have never come across this before and its a little unnerving to be honest...i mean, ive had pin clips fail and wreak havoc in engines before. aluminum expands faster than steel so are the pins floating around? on these pistons and other brands ive been able to pull up pics on, are these steel or stainless plates on either side of the pin bore inside the piston that are also a bit concerning b/c i dont know how theyre affixed or what theyre for or if theyre going to fall off and wreak havoc in my newly rebuilt engine! there are also holes in the plates that seem to be some sort of peened mount that go thru the piston on the rear side of the piston but on the front are blocked...can anyone shed some light on this stuff?

Name:  20171205_185041.jpg
Views: 1168
Size:  93.5 KBName:  20171205_185100.jpg
Views: 1253
Size:  87.3 KB

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I agree that those castings look pretty sloppy.........but who knows how they'll hold up. Perhaps it doesn't matter? On many, many engines (including small block Chevy and the Toyota 4Y) the wrist pins are a "press fit" in the steel connecting rods and the pistons float on the pins (slip fit). Although it's called "press fit" most machine shops do not actually use a press. Most shops will heat the pin end of the rods with map gas to expand the steel, then the pins will fall right in. You need to move fast though, because once temps begin to equalize they grab on tight. No fun trying to adjust if you don't hit it right, and you'll likely break a piston or damaged the pin/rod if you try, so make sure you get it right. Making a simple jig/fixture to hold things in place will make it fast and simple. I searched YouTube and found a good video of a guy doing this on a SB Chevy engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsGFwz1zviM. I wouldn't worry about reliability of this method as I've been pulling wrenches all my life and still haven't seen a pin shift inside a rod. When I rebuild engines I usually just let the machine shop install pistons on the rods. They do it all the time and have it worked out to a science.

Regarding your quandary with using those pistons, I have to admit I'd have an issue too. You can't judge a book by it's cover I guess, but such obvious cosmetic slop makes you wonder. I have a new set of 4y pistons out in the shop so I grabbed them and took a few pics (so you can compare). Mine are also aftermarket purchased off rockauto. Mine came in an Engine Tech rebuild kit and are Engine Tech brand part #P4637(4) .50. Tim

My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 5 speed dlx 1987 4x4 5 speed cargo 1987 4x4 5 speed LE 1987 2wd 5 speed cargo conversion 1989 2wd auto cargo parts van

wow, i was thinking the pin was a press fit in the piston not the rod..how about those 4 plates? so, im wondering now if its slop in the wrist pin bore that could cause the 'piston slap' or 'rocker clatter' noise that goes away when warm...

seems a little sketchy the guy in the video heating his rods, even if not red hot could still compromise the rod...
    Last edited by boogieman; 12-06-2017 at 08:52 AM.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Those steel plates are called "reinforcing struts". They are used in cast aluminum pistons to help control expansion and to aid with support of the wrist pin. When it comes to engine work, we are basically just "installers of parts", & there's nothing we can do about the manufacturing end of things. As such, there's not much point in worrying about this stuff.........except when selecting brand and quality of components.

Piston slap. If you hold an assembled rod/piston in your hands, you'll notice the piston rocks from side to side. When it's installed in the engine it needs this movement to stay straight in the cylinder while the crank moves the other end of the rod side to side. Since the rod is moving side to side, there's a tendency for the piston to "rock" a bit. That's why the piston skirt is longer on the thrust sides (to help minimize this rocking). When pistons and skirts get worn, clearances are increased and they tend to rock more. The noise associated with the pistons rocking back and forth (skirts hitting the cylinder walls) is called "piston slap". Because aluminum pistons tend to expand/contract more when heated/cooled it's most noticeable when the engine is cold.

Wrist pins can make noise too, but those tend to not be associated with cold vs warm engines.......although I'm sure there can be exceptions.

Regarding that video, I'm sure there's better ones on YouTube, that's just the one I clicked on 1st. I didn't watch the whole thing, I just skipped to the part that showed him installing the pin..........and that looked to me like he was doing it right. If you're doing this yourself, the important thing is to not heat the rod too hot. That's why I specified using Map gas (as it would be difficult to overheat). You heat just until that area turns blue, then assemble quickly. If you were using a hotter burning gas (like acetylene) it would be easy to overheat and weaken the rod. If you're installing oversize pistons, you'll need the block bored anyhow, so just let the machine shop install the pistons on the rods. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van Wagon LE

Engine overheated yesterday for the first time. Coolant reservoir tank had brown gunk in it.

Took it into the shop and they told me the head gasket has blown and a new motor will be needed at around $5,000. I've been driving it since I purchased in July 2017. This is the first overheat I've ever had. Does this sound accurate?

Are there any shops in the Seattle area someone can recommend for a second opinion?

Thank you!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieVanBusen View Post
    Engine overheated yesterday for the first time. Coolant reservoir tank had brown gunk in it.

Took it into the shop and they told me the head gasket has blown and a new motor will be needed at around $5,000. I've been driving it since I purchased in July 2017. This is the first overheat I've ever had. Does this sound accurate?

Are there any shops in the Seattle area someone can recommend for a second opinion?

Thank you!
    I'm sorry to hear that. Too many variables to say for certain without inspecting/testing in person (hands-on). There are different levels of overheating. If it just got a little hot, you may only need a new head gasket. If you ran it until it seized, then you will likely need/want another engine. If you need another engine, and you are able to get a quality one installed, then $5k doesn't seem out of line to me (quality being the key). Unfortunately it can be a complicated process with lots of variables. I personally would have a very hard time trusting others to carry out such a project in a way I would approve of (lots of little details can be overlooked or neglected). There's several write-ups here in the forum that discuss these things in much greater detail. Use the search feature. Tim