Thread: Yellow oil light in speedo cluster

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Yellow oil light in speedo cluster

The oil light in the speedo cluster comes in when I first start up the van but after driving it for bout 15 minutes a goes away. I just had a full tuneup done so I know there's oil in there. When the idle is low the light comes on and the oil pressure needle is pointing towards low, once I start going the needle moves up to normal and the light goes away. I know my Celica would do the same thing but it was burning and leaking oil every 2000 miles so I would just add oil and keep rolling. With that said I've only drove the van 50 miles since it came back from being rehabilitated.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

My Van(s):

Re: Yellow oil light in speedo cluster

Awe man!!! Update-

i don't know what Latoya (TV 4X4) is doing???? So I haven't driven her all day today and decide to take her for a spin. I start her up and wait bout a minute and no oil light so I start driving down the road bout 6 blocks and still no light, mind you that she is still warming up and the temperature needle is still in the cold zone. I drive a few more minute and by now the oil pressure needle is at half way and all is smooth. So I decide to drive down the open road.... Just me and my girl.... And wouldn't you know it bout 15 minutes into the drive she gets temperamental and winks that yellow light at me.... So I turn her around and start heading back, I'm traveling at about 40mph in 4th gear and she's still winking and the Temperature is at half way and oil pressure is at half as well and then the light turns off.... I keep driving and then as I'm approaching a light and take it out of gear and start to slow down she winks at me again.... So then I stop at light and look at the gauges an oil is between half and the quarter mark, the signal turns green and when I start going the light turns off... And it stays off for about 3 miles until I get home it turns back on. I let her idle for a few minutes and then her down for the night.... What is going on with that!!!????

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

It's just one of the quirks of our vans. The yellow light you are referring to is the "low oil level" light. These are notoriously inaccurate. I've had over 10 vans with this option and every one of them behaved the same way. It's supposed to let you know when the van needs oil, but the system doesn't work right. If you check oil regularly and don't ever let it get more than 1 1/2 quarts low then you have nothing to worry about. Tim

My Van(s):

Hmmmm.... I really don't like that... Is it just the 87' and 88' vans that had that problem? I don't have that yellow light in the speedo of the TownAce. I guess since 87' was the first year they changed to the 2.2 liter there were going to be some quirks that would arise over time... Just my 2cents.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

It's a trim level thing. To my knowledge All LE vans had this. I have 2 cargo vans & neither of these have that light. Every LE I've had has had it. I'm not sure if they had it on 84 - 85 vans. I took one out one time and cleaned it really good. I put it back in and same thing (intermittent yellow light). I'm sure a person could spend time & money working out the bugs with the system, but to me it's not important. If you check your oil you don't need it. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

I would install and aftermarket oil pressure gauge if it really concerns you. That way you have piece of mind.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

It already has an oil pressure gauge (although aftermarket gauges are typically better/more accurate). What he's referring to is the "Oil Level" indicator light. It doesn't monitor pressure, it's supposed to alert you if you get low on oil (like when you're a quart low). As long as you're aware of consumption rates & you check/add as required, you will have nothing to worry about. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

If the oil level indicator light up, but the oil pressure gauge reflected a normal operating pressure would there be any concern? If not I would unplug that light

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

The oil level light system is something not typically used on other vehicles. I think Toyota put it on the vans because they assumed people would not check the oil level (due to the placement of the engine). It was a good idea & could be useful if it worked as they intended (but sadly it does not work well). I notice my oil level light going on/off all the time, but I just ignore it. Sometimes it reminds me to check my oil, so it's a little bit useful (about as much as having a string tied on your finger) . Tim

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

FWIW, I've never had any trouble with the dual-purpose OIL light on the cargo and DX type cluster — functions like a champ. However, the one LE-style cluster van here (actually a DX with the tach upgrade) has the separate oil level LED and it's wonky as described in this thread (although a friend's LE has no issues AFAIK). Because the same level sensor is used (albeit different external plugs for 3Y and 4Y), that suggests (to me) that the problem is not the sensor but the cluster and/or the wiring between sensor and the cluster.

I suspect the oil level sensor was included partly (or entirely) because these vans were also marketed as commercial vehicles, and especially with multiple drivers, they easily might not get the attention to oil (and coolant) level checks ("let the next guy deal with it; I'm in a hurry/wanna make the boss think I'm faster/don't care because it's not my vehicle"). I know that other similar commercial cab-forward vehicles (ie, Isuzu N-series) also have oil level and coolant level sensors and dash indicators.

IMO the "on again off again" LE cluster oil level LED just makes people more likely to ignore checking the oil ("Oh, that light is always on and it hasn't ever meant anything"). If I had more time and got along better with electricity, I'd be inclined to try rewiring the LE cluster van to be like the DX/cargo.

Hey Tim, what's the Toyota part number for "more time"? I need to order LOTS.

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Lol, if you find that number let me know. You & me both could use some. This is my 1st day off in a while & have only been goofing off. I need to get stuff done but just not motivated. I guess it will continue to stack up . Tim

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

My LE light has flashed off and on since I bought the van in '02. I even removed the sensor and checked all it's functions at one point and it all checked out fine. My '88 Mitsubishi Van/Wagon has the same light with the same issue.

My Van(s):

Thank you guys I'm already starting to over look the light.