Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A/C Fuse Keeps Blowing

My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van 2WD 394K (Re-ringed Engine at 300K, Replaced HG, Still has original timing chain and oil pump) 1989 Toyota Van 2WD Purchased @ 171K now 220K

Re: A/C Fuse Keeps Blowing

Hey Tim,

How is that compressor from Rock auto working so far? $150 for a compressor isnt bad at all especially if it comes with the Stater. Did you fill it up with r12?

Anyhow, I did some playing around with my van today and found out that now when I press the A/C button the fuse doesnt blow because the compressor doesnt even kick on anymore. The belt is on there fine and it is spinning nice. Anything else could have gone wrong?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Compressor has been working fine. I'm using R-12 in all my vans (including this one). Last year while surfing craigslist I found a good deal on an AC machine (big one on wheels) that sucks out all the Freon and recycles it. Then after I'm done making repairs I use it (the machine) to pull a deep vacuum and pump the same Freon back in. It's got a precise scale built in so I can put back the exact amount required. Due to the cost of R-12, the machine has already payed for itself. The fact that it's fun to play with is an extra value (no extra charge) .

Your system has a pressure switch on it. If the pressure in the system is low (like you're out of Freon), the compressor will not engage. I don't know if that's what's going on, but you'll need to hook it up to a gauge set to see. If the fuse only blows when the compressor kicks on, then it probably is the stater. You can also do a continuity test on the stater to see if it's shorted. Tim

My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van 2WD 394K (Re-ringed Engine at 300K, Replaced HG, Still has original timing chain and oil pump) 1989 Toyota Van 2WD Purchased @ 171K now 220K

Hey Tim,

Can you send me a link to the compressor you bought on Rock Auto? I see a whole bunch of different ones with different pricing.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

This was about a year ago and I see it's gone now. The one I got is a Denso rebuild (I trust Denso as I've had good luck with them). Tim

My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    In the picture above, it's the part between the pulley and the compressor (with the 2 wires coming out of it). I got that compressor from rockauto for ~$150, but my compressor was froze-up (I needed it). If your system is charged and working (other than the short issue) and you're sure it's only a stater, then I wouldn't replace the entire compressor. Makes much more sense to replace just the stater. Replacing the compressor will require the system to be evacuated, the receiver/dryer replaced, and they system recharged (expensive). If it's just a bad stater, you can just unbolt from the front of the compressor and replace (no need to drain/process Freon). Everybody has their opinions, but seems that the professional mechanics always lean towards the most expensive ones . Tim

Hey Tim,

I have already ordered the compressor clutch from ebay. Should be here in a few days. Just wondering how hard is it to change it? Any tips or tricks?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

There's a good step by step procedure in the service manual (AC section). You will need some snap ring pliers and some patience, but you should be able to handle it. Just make sure to put it all back on the way it came off. Tim