Thread: Solved over-heating issue. Check this out if you're having issues!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van

Solved over-heating issue. Check this out if you're having issues!

So my 1986 Toyota Van had an issue with over-heating. At first, we replaced the thermostat and replaced the upper radiator hose. It seemed the issue was resolved...not quite. The van was fine sitting still. After 5-8 miles, it would start to climb on the temp gauge. Ok, so we checked for proper circulation, water pump functioning, no clogs in the radiator etc....No issues there, interesting. During the over-heating, it would not skyrocket to the red-zone. It would climb slowly and remain under the red, but it was still getting hot. After a quick lookover, this was the culprit:

In the attached pictures is the wiring to the cooling fan on the trans cooler. It contains a fusible link which had broken in half. This in turn would not cool the trans cooler and it would begin to slowly heat up. The location of the trans cooler being in front of the radiator didn't help matters. We soldered the link, wrapped it and she's back on the road. If you've had similar issues, check this wire!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Re: Solved over-heating issue. Check this out if you're having issues!

If I am not mistaken there a number of "fusible links" on multiple systems. They all seem to be vulnerable to severe wear. Im glad you found the problem.