Thread: Locking or limited slip diff for 2WD?

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    89 5-speed

Locking or limited slip diff for 2WD?

I've been roaming some rough roads lately and have gotten stuck a couple of times. Ideally I'd switch to a 4WD 5-speed but that might not happen any time soon and I really don't need it very often anyway. Is there a locking diff that will swap in easily? I figure this could be a middle ground that will allow me to keep what I have.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Locking or limited slip diff for 2WD?

Sean (member here) has done this to his 2wd. He said it was a big improvement. He has a pretty comprehensive thread over on TVP. Here's a link: http://www.toyotavanpeople.com/forum...t=5843&p=45025

He also talked about it here (but not in nearly as much detail): http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...rts-impossible

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    89 5-speed

Hmm ok that's a bit more complicated than I imagined! When I swapped diffs on my 240z it was just a matter of finding the right one in a junkyard, swapping the flanges, and bolting it on.

Looks like I'll have to find a shop to do it for me.

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

So just the other day we were at the pumpkin patch and the parking area was super muddy and soft, the owners threw down bark and hay in the soggy areas. I was driving the 2wd van and we got stuck when we were leaving so me and the boys got out to push and my wife jumped into the driver seat and put the pedal to the medal. I noticed that the wheel on the right side had power and was spinning and I could hear my son on the left side complaining about mud kicking up on his shoes cause the left wheel was spinning too?? So then I'm at the conclusion that it has a limited slip differential? Is that true for all 2wd vans?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Not to my knowledge........but that's not saying much as I'm not a differential guy (I always farm that stuff out). But based on my experience these are all just standard differentials (power goes to wheel with the least traction). Even the 4wd's are this way. I would think a 4wd van would be unstoppable if it had limited slip or lockers on both front & rear. Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    89 5-speed

I've had only one wheel slip before. I've also had both wheels slip when there was no weight in the back. Unless a previous owner of your van changed something you probably just saw what can happen with front-heavy RWD vehicles.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    -1984 LE 5 speed manual tranmission -1987 LE EFI Automatic

Toyota Supra MK2 limited slip on a 2wd van??

Hi
    I am new on tvt and this is my first thread, i am looking for options on how to have better traction on my 1987 2wd auto van, i am planning trips to baja and to get to some beach spots i would like a little more help, i have searched threads on this topic and i found one invloving a swap for a "detroit tru trac" but its kind of pricey for me right now so are the "ARB". I read online that the Toyotas Supras MK2 some come with a factory LSD that would fit into our vans, has anyone done this? and how does the van handle after installing one? Sorry for not being more technical on details i am completly new on "differentials" and everything related, any info would help alot. Thanks

8. 10-04-2018, 11:33 AM

Reason
    off topic / hijacking

9. 10-04-2018, 01:46 PM

Reason
    off topic / hijacking