Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Replacing your van's thermostat

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: Replacing your van's thermostat

Behind the alternator, tucked in by the engine mount.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I used the search feature and found this:

https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...Reservoir-Leak

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    88 4wd

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    I used the search feature and found this:

https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...Reservoir-Leak
    Thank you both - I went through a ton of threads and missed that photo.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

No problem. I had an advantage since I posted it (I knew it was there)......I could also remember some key words (like "brass" and "extension"). Those two coupled with "block drain" narrowed it down to just 2 threads . Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 TV Panel 4x4 5-Speed 1989 TV LE, Dual Sunroof, 2WD Automatic

Lots of great info here... I just wish I'd read it all first.

A month or so back, when making preparations to do a complete coolant line refresh, I went to RockAuto.com and punched in my search for the appropriate thermostat and gaskets. (1988 4WD Manual)
    Of course, NOW I'm reading all of this about the OEM parts and regret my purchase.
    Now I'm ready to replace the old TStat and upon opening the box and inspecting the new one, I find it doesn't have a jiggle Valve at all.

So.. do I take a chance? Or do I order it all again from Toyota?
    here's the link to the particular TStat I ordered. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...279818&jsn=388

Opinions?
    Anyone installed an aftermarket TStat manufactured without a jiggle valve to any success??

I know the original article (( https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...n-s-thermostat )) was from 9 years ago and wondered if anything would have changed since then.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 cargo conversion

IMO i'd only use OEM since it's still available and cheap and it's specifically built to get your vans cooling system running right. but since you already bought one you can try it and see how it runs. the install is a PITA but only takes an hour or two max - so you can always swap out later if the temp isn't running within the optimal zone. other consideration is if you want to risk your van running too hot or how far from civilization you typically drive. on second thought after typing all this out - i'd just buy the proper thermostat and be done with it

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

Just. Buy. OEM.

If you can't afford to eat the cost of that aftermarket t-stat and wait a for the proper OEM one to arrive, you're really really really not going to be able to handle the cost of a head job plus how long that puts your van out of commission.

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by llamavan View Post
    Just. Buy. OEM.

If you can't afford to eat the cost of that aftermarket t-stat and wait a for the proper OEM one to arrive, you're really really really not going to be able to handle the cost of a head job plus how long that puts your van out of commission.

Gwen
    Totally agree Gwen.
    Small price to pay to put Crusty back on the stands. After just replacing all the coolant lines, water pump and coupling, valve cover and such. I値l happily get the OEM TStat to finish it up proper rather than take a chance.
    Thanks for the guidance and patience. It痴 much appreciated.
    A

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

The diagnostic proved true. (Upon cranking the van- coolant was immediately circulating) So it seems the TStat was stuck open. That痴 exactly what I found when I pulled out the old one.

The only bad thing is the lower right stud on the TStat housing unscrewed from the block and came out with the nut when removing it.
    I didn稚 drain the block, so there痴 still some coolant inside dampening the threaded stud receiver. Because of not being able to clean out the coolant where the stud gets screwed back in, I didn稚 bother putting threadlock back on the stud. Instead I just screwed it back in to hold the housing and TStat in place overnight.
    Now I知 not exactly sure what to do to lock in that stud when I finish up tomorrow.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

At this point I wouldn't worry about that stud.

Nuts often weld themselves onto studs. the proper way to deal with it is to separate the 2 when they are out and reinstall the stud, then secure it with the nut.
    Installing studs is usually done with a double nut and thread locker isn't usually required.

The way you have done it should work just fine, the only time one would have to worry is if the new gasket were significantly thinner than the old (if the stud shaft were to bottom out prior to the nut flange making contact)

Best practices would say do it right, but as you've already "got 'er done" just make a mental note for next time.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

And if I read that wrong and it isn't fully assembled yet, then extract the frozen nut, clean up threads (block and stud) and reinstall stud (double nutted) and torque to spec, then remove the double nuts and proceed as normal.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by Burntboot View Post
    And if I read that wrong and it isn't fully assembled yet, then extract the frozen nut, clean up threads (block and stud) and reinstall stud (double nutted) and torque to spec, then remove the double nuts and proceed as normal.
    Thanks for the input- I got everything back together without any thread lock. The bolt sealed itself when torqued down and it's been running like a champ ever since. Appreciate all the help in getting this project done!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    91Previa

Just a little FYI. Any time I remove a nut from a bolt or stud I put a little bit of anti seize compound on the threads to help in the removal of the nut down the road. Nothing worse then a nut that gets frozen. If it gets stuck on a bolt and you break the bolt it can be replaced but break a stud SOB. Also if you wanted to use loctite to reinstall that stud just get a can of brake cleaner and spray it on the inside threads. It will clean the slime of the A/Freeze off and it dries super fast leaving a clean and dry surface for the loctite to work like it should.

My Van(s):
    '88 4wd 5spd cargo, silver/red, with 3Y engine; '86 2wd 5spd cargo, green/red; '87 4wd 5spd LE, dark blue; '88 2wd 5spd cargo conversion, dark brown (bought new)

FWIW, brother-in-law (professional mechanic) and I replaced my '88 2WD 5spd's thermostat several weeks ago. The next day I drove her close to 200 miles in Florida heat without any problems whatsoever. New thermostat is OEM; I always buy Toyota when it's available.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Anybody ever notice that the Tstat housing has a slight turn to it?Here is a pic of the turn.

Service manual says nothing as to which way it goes in.

Does it matter?

MT
    Attached Images Attached Images   

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

That's so it won't interfere with the alternator adjustment bracket. If you try to install it with the alternator already installed, it will be obvious which way it needs to be. Tim

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Roger that. It was on backward then. OMG, it is amazing this little 4Y ran as good as it did with wrong torque values on the head and manifold.

Thanks, just waiting for the next shoe to drop

MT

My Van(s):
    '85 Toyota 2WD Cargo Van 5 Speed ------------------ '89 Toyota 4WD LE Auto 覧覧覧覧

So, my van overheated. Blew the radiator hose off near where the lower radiator hose goes into the radiator. Going through the checks to see if it is something besides the headgasket. New thermostat, new water pump, new fan clutch, new radiator cap within the last two years. Anyways, I pulled off the thermostat and tested it and it does pop open. I'm going to put it back in place but I have a question. I'm wondering if you have to use a gasket for the thermostat and for the thermostat housing. I did both before but I don't see it in the instructions.

Do I need to use this (https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...79728&jsn=1032) water outlet gasket along with the thermostat seal?

If the water outlet gasket is needed as well, I'd suggest adding it to the instructions.

Thanks!

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

No need to use a gasket other than the rubber gasket on the t-stat itself, and Toyota does not call out for another one in the EPC, either. The number given on Rock Auto (1634171010) is the number for the "water inlet" (t-stat housing) itself (!).

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

My Van(s):
    '85 Toyota 2WD Cargo Van 5 Speed ------------------ '89 Toyota 4WD LE Auto 覧覧覧覧

Thanks Gwen, I wonder if that could cause an overheating issue if I used both and the paper one deteriorated (the housing one). There wasn稚 really a leak though. Hmm, ok good to know. Thanks for the info. Will install with just the OEM gasket for the thermostat.