Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Replacing your van's thermostat

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota Van LE RWD AT

This was my thermostat!!

I'm replacing a water pump, hoses and my T Stat. One on the left was what the PO gave me as she said her mechanic had changed the thermostat. The one on the right is the new OEM one, the one in the middle is what I've just pulled out!

I'm worried
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 2wd Manual LE

Re: This was my thermostat!!

Woah, dude! Good thing you are getting at it. Wow.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

The vehicle is a one owner from new, I think the mechanic might be a bit suspect. He's apparently looked after this vehicle for her and after a brief chat he never called me back about doing the work in now doing.

Hopefully it'll be running today and I'll see how it goes. Fingers crossed!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota Cargo Van (Window/2WD)

Just did my thermostat and the back end was broken off and I had to fish it out with a magnet. That's what time and intense heat does, I guess.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    (2) 1989 2WD LE VAN Wagons

Quote Originally Posted by Rossi_46 View Post
    I'm replacing a water pump, hoses and my T Stat. One on the left was what the PO gave me as she said her mechanic had changed the thermostat. The one on the right is the new OEM one, the one in the middle is what I've just pulled out!

I'm worried
    By design you cannot really run with out a thermostat as it is the thermostat that also creates the seal and without a thermostat you would have leaks. The suspect mechanic looks like he destroyed the thermostat just leaving the part that creates the seal to simulate having no thermostat installed as to not address the real issues of overheating .

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Hi, yeah I think it was done on purpose. I took the new one off to see if anything was left in there and it was clear of any parts. I've replaced upper and lower rad hoses, water pump, gaskets and I'm going to flush the radiator to get all the crud out. Fingers crossed!

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

About 3 years ago I found a great cargo conversyion van that was done up really nice inside but there was difinately something shady going on with the temperature gauge, it didn't move and there was no heat after driving it for 30 min.

I took it to my trusted Toyota MasterTech (now retired) for inspection and he caught all those mechanical issues and told me some people take out the thermostat in order for it to run cooler or something like that, I still wanted to get it but he stopped me from taking the chance. Maybe a good thing in the end.

JDM

My Van(s):
    (2) 86 2WD auto LE's (Daily driver has 335k+miles) (1) 87 4WD auto Conversion (90k orig miles) (1) 87 4WD auto LE (1) 88 2WD auto LE (1) 89 4WD auto Conversion (1) 89 4WD auto LE... Still lookin

Strange... I can't imagine anyone doing that on purpose, when you can just leave one out if you choose.

I took one out of a '63 Plymouth one time. It was the middle of a snowstorm... halfway across Pennsylvania and another 6 hours to get home. Water pump broke but without the thermostat the coolant would still circulate. It was hot but I stopped every hour or so.

I would be suspect of pieces... somewhere.

If you can find the mechanic from the PO I would call him on it. I really would be amazed if he did it on purpose.

-Jim

My Van(s):
    89 4WD, 87 le 4WD, 85 2wd , 87 2wd cargo , 88 2wd cargo. 76 International Harvester school bus,

on this engine you have to have at least the outer ring of the t-stat to attach the O-ring. otherwise water, water everywhere. I have seen people drill 1/8" holes on the flange to allow some coolant passage when t-stat is closed. Agreed, looks like some one modified the ring to bypass t-stat.
    I have an 89 that uses coolant. the PO said if you fill the reservoir, it will boil off untill it reaches a certain level, then it stays constant. Heat works fine. No leaks. No bubbling from the over flow. Temp within range. After a few 1000 miles the heat starts to not work so well. Still running in the safe zone on the gauge. Add some coolant and good to go for another few 1000. apparently this has been going on for the 10 years he had the van. He has had a couple of mechanics look at over the years. No one can figure out whats up, as of yet. It's more of an inconvenience than anything but, I'd like to fix it.
    I assume during the investigation, someone checked the T-stat. The pump and radiator must be OK, or I'd have overheated, right? Both front and rear heaters work, so thats not it. Once I fix the u-joint on my 87, I will investigate further.

Always thankful for this wealth of information

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 window cargo

Re: Replacing your van's thermostat

I just dealt with a high temperature issue with my 1989 Van. It never got as hot as the one pictured but about 70 to 75% on the gauge though. I turned the heater on and it got me down about 50 to 60% so I knew that I had some flow through the radiator. I took it to a radiator shop in Santa Ana , Calif. I had been to two other radiator shops and got quotes. First one told me that a rod out of the radiator would not work, and the second one gave me a quote of 350.00 to rod it out. Our good friends at B & G rodded it out including labor for 150.00 He told me that it was 40-60% plugged. He showed me that the fan clutch was needing relacement and submitted to his judgement. He also replaced the lower radiator hose as it was cracked and old. I had replaced the upper radiator hose a week prior. He told me that there was not a thermostat in there, and because I know everything, I told him to let it go, because I figured I didnt need one in southern Cal because it doesnt freeze much and it gets hotter than most places. That was a big mistake I think. After all of those repairs, new fan clutch, new lower radiator hose and the rod out and coolant it was 266.00 can you believe it. What I cant believe is how long it takes to warm up now, and it barely reaches 1/4 on the gauge. Too good to be true in my opinion. Because of that, I am going to put the thermostat back in. I will be going with an OEM one if I can find it. Thank you guys for all of the help you provide. This is definitely a plug for B & G radiator in Santa Ana, Calif in Orange County. Two brothers that have been there for over twenty years, Clean shop, nice, honest and reliable. Refreshing
    thank you,
    peace,
    bobby

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

That's a good story. I read the beginning anticipating a rip-off and/or bad ending. Glad you found those guys. Sounds like they did the right things and charged a very reasonable price. And yes, I would recommend installing an OE thermostat as soon as possible. Toyota intended there to be a thermostat there. Without it you are lacking restriction. Restriction can be necessary to promote equal flow to all parts of the engine. Since the coolant will take the easiest path, unrestricted flow could result in over cooling of front cylinders, but reduced cooling to the rear (true on some engines, not sure about the 4y). Also, since the engine is designed to run @ ~180 deg, most engine wear occurs during warm-ups and/or overheating conditions. Running your engine below 180 deg long term will likely shorten engine life. Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1989 townace 4x4 turbo diesel

I recently replaced the thermostat on my 89 townace. Thought I'd mention a couple of things unique to the diesel townace that I learned along the way.

Thermostat is in the same spot, but the alternator and the AC are flip-flopped. The thermostat housing on the 2C-T is sitting over the AC compressor. I still drained my coolant but much less of a worry when it comes to spilling.

The space is tight and it was horrible to get the bolts back in on the housing, I had to feel around for 30 minutes to get the housing aligned and the bolts in.

My thermostat was stuck wide open and the van was running cold all the time. This was causing the temp-sensor for the glowplugs to keep sending juice to the glowplugs so I kept prematurely burning them out. They are expensive so this sucks. I thought I had a bad glowplug controller but the van was just running in "warm-up" mode for extended periods of time. After I replaced that thermostat the van warms up much quicker, stays at the right temp 100% of the time and I'm not burning out glowplugs Maybe this was a combination of colder weather and stuck thermostat that was causing the sensor to read wrong?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD Auto

I was just about finished replacing my thermostat when I snapped off the lower stud. Wondering the best way to proceed here. Anybody know if it is threaded and could be dealt with similar to the exhaust manifold studs? Seems like it might be cast into its home, maybe I could drill it out and tap it for a bolt? Third option I have been thinking is replace the whole part, am I correct in thinking this is the water pump housing? Any guidance much appreciated.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-05-21 at 10.44.27 AM.jpg
Views: 1026
Size:  16.2 KB

Edit: I think I just answered my own question, but maybe my post will help another unfortunate soul. Found this picture of the "Timing Gear Cover and Rear End Plate". Looks like the studs are threaded, so I guess that is good news? I think I am going to be down in that hole for a long time.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-05-21 at 11.06.34 AM.jpg
Views: 1107
Size:  18.8 KB
    Last edited by BigDawgGottaEat; 05-21-2017 at 12:11 PM.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

It's a steel stud (Toyota part #16194-71010) that's threaded into the aluminum timing gear case. It looks like there's enough of it sticking out to give you a fair chance of easy removal. If I were in that spot I'd apply heat to the stud (carefully avoiding direct heat to the aluminum housing). I'd use an acetylene torch with a focused tip and get the stud glowing red, then wait for it to lose the red glow and immediately try to remove it with a vice grip (while it's still hot).

These studs were put in tight with some sealant and/or Locktite type material on the threads. Heat applied correctly to the stud will weaken that bond and the expansion/retraction of the steel & aluminum should allow for easy removal. As always, when using a torch, do so in a well ventilated area. Be very careful when using an open flame around fuel lines and make sure there's no gasoline or other flammables in the immediate area. Also make sure you have the proper type fire extinguisher handy. If you're not comfortable doing this yourself, call your local parts store and/or weld shop and ask if they know of a local guy who extracts broken bolts/studs. There's usually a mobile guy in most areas who will come to your location and is capable of some amazing things. Good luck. Tim

PS: I'd take that spacer plate off before attempting stud removal.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1990 Hiace Super Custom 4WD diesel

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    I'm sure that mechanic has more knowledge and is better educated than the Toyota engineers who designed it to be there.
    Toyota did not design the jiggly valve. Its for air removal.
    I've removed them from any thermostat for additional flow(only takes a little longer to warm up)
    On high rpm cars, I've opened the hole as well, in case of cavitation.

I'm about to do this, and coolant flush on my hiace as the trans doesn't cool down very well once heated up.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van Wagon Automatic 2WD

So I'm working on replacing my thermostat and for some reason the housing will not come off. I've removed both 12mm nuts, yet the housing doesn't want to slide off. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Last edited by tennesseetoyota; 12-27-2017 at 03:16 PM.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Tap it sideways with a hammer.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van Wagon Automatic 2WD

Yeah it was just a good bit sicky. Thanks!

My Van(s):
    1988 4x4 Van Formerly: 1986 Cargo Van Parted Out: 1989 4x4 Van, 1987 4x4 Van, 1986 Van

Just another preaching to the choir here about only using OEM Toyota for the thermostat. My 86 started running hot (3/4 up the gauge, not the end of the world but higher than it should be running) once the ambient temperature got towards or past 100 degrees outside. Not knowing the age of the coolant or what thermostat was in it, I did a patented ChrisFix super flush (lol), replaced the fan shroud (old one wasn't properly seated against the radiator all the way around, plus the ears had snapped off) and pulled the old thermostat.

The thermostat was obviously very old, the part number I pulled off came back as a Robert Shaw branded thermostat. They apparently still make home thermostats, I have no idea if they still make ones for cars though, this particular one had no jiggle valve and was just closed all the way around. It was likely in there since the first Bush was president so it wasn't terrible but was in desperate need of replacing.

Anyways, I just got back from running some errands and the needle has yet to go past 1/4 of the way up the gauge! I'll put some miles on it in traffic and 105 outside just to be sure but it's amazing how much of a change these little thermostats have on our vans.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    88 4wd

Can someone point me in the direction of the coolant block drain plug? Thank you!