Thread: Warning lights

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Warning lights

Today a few lights came up in the dash when I started up the Townace YR21/3YEU. She's been running like a top, the engine purrs and her temperature is rock solid just 2ticks below the half way mark. I have and idea what they might be but wanted to double check with the forum professionals confirmation. And if any B.C. Members can chime in that would be so helpful. Thank you

The first pic is of all the lights in the dash, they aren't labeled like the US vans but have the universal symbols we all recognize, we'll except for 1 that I'm unfamiliar with.

The second pic has the three that are staying on-

1) battery light- most likely the alternator, I had the battery and positive cable replaced last year.

2) radiator light- the overflow tank was low so I added 8 oz of water and some to the tank. Same problem with the 87' van but looks like it's the float sensor that was discussed in the other thread.
    87' (Latoya) is still in the shop.

3) orange colored oil light with squiggly line underneath- umm... What is that one?

Thank you for any input and help provided
    Attached Images Attached Images   

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Warning lights

On the US vans when multiple dash lights come on we call that "Christmas Dash" & it typically means the alternator has failed or is failing. If you do a search using that term I'm sure you'll find multiple posts with helpful information on the subject. This is often associated with a power steering pump leak that results in an oil soaked alternator. Our Denso alternators have vent holes above the brushes allowing this leaking oil to flow inside & fowl things up.

Since your model van was never imported to the US it's a bit different & your problem may be something else.............but I'd probably start by doing a battery voltage test while the engine is running. If you read less than 13.5 volts, then you will likely soon have a dead battery (ideal voltage at battery should be between 13.5 - 14.5 volts DC with engine running & accessories off).

I'm not sure if your alternator has an internal or external voltage regulator (US vans have internal regulators), but if voltage is low, I'd suspect a failed alternator and/or a bad regulator. Tim

My Van(s):

Thank you Tim, I took it in today to have the battery tested and it came up as being at 64% charged and the alternator was at 11.9 volts so it looks like that's gotta come out. I looked at the alternator and luckily it's bone dry and clean, the P/S pump is in good shape with no leaks or whining noise so it looks like the alternator had done its job and is ready to retire.

I was able to look up and find the cross- reference for the alternator and will get that ordered up this week and hopefully get my other van back in the next two days. I put the battery on a trickle charge overnight so it'll be up to 100% for the drive to work. That should be ok I'm hoping.

Man with 2 vans down.... I should get a third!!!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Yeah, assuming you have a short commute & don't need your wipers, lights, and/or fan motor you should be fine. On my cargo van I have an AC electrical system with a charger wired in. Once I drove for over a week with a failed alternator. I just plugged it in at night and on the job sites when power was available.

On your old alternator, if it's original, I wouldn't give it up as a core. I'd recommend keeping it and repairing it. You can get new brushes from Toyota and the other parts can be easily obtained at a salvage yard. Even with used parts an original alternator is likely better than your run of the mill rebuilt one (and a lot cheaper). A possible alternative would be to get a rebuilt one from Denso (actually rebuilt by Denso). These cost a bit more than the cheap rebuilds, but they are quality and will last. Tim

Here's another thread worth reading: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...lternator-woes

My Van(s):

Yeah man I charged it up to 100% and drove 40 miles round trip from home to work and back and put it back on the charger. It was down to 64% for that round trip. I was hoping to get the 4X4 van back but when I dropped it off I told them to take their time and also asked them to work out the rust and give it a wheel alignment, so no idea when I'll get her back.

As as for the TownAce I went into my other Techs that have been working in her and asked for a estimate and the quoted me for roughly $400 that's with keeping the core OEM alternator. That seems steep but I'm in a bind so I'll be taking it in sometime this week.

This is what I've come up with for the cross reference-

TOYOTA 27060-72060 IS USED IN THE CATALOGUES:

TOYOTA
    EUROPE
    JAPAN
    CHASER [GX71, LX70, MX71, SX70, YX7*] 1984-1988
    CROWN [GS12*, LS12*, MS12*, YS120] 1983-1987
    LITEACE VAN,WAGON [KM3*, YM30, 40, CM3*, 4*] 1985-1988
    MARK 2 [GX7*, LX7*, MX71, SX70, YX7*] 1984-1988
    TOWN/MASTERACE V,WG [KR26, YR2*, 3*, CR2*, 3*] 1982-1988
    USA
    VAN [YR2*, 3*] 1983-1988
    YR21LG-MDEA 2.0L EFI MTM
    YR21LG-MDEK 2.0L EFI MTM
    YR21LG-MQEA 2.0L EFI MTM
    YR21LG-MQEK 2.0L EFI MTM
    YR21LG-PDEA 2.0L EFI ATM
    YR21LG-PDEK 2.0L EFI ATM
    YR21LG-PQEA 2.0L EFI ATM
    YR21LG-PQEK 2.0L EFI ATM
    YR27LV-MREA 2.0L EFI MTM
    YR27LV-MREK 2.0L EFI MTM
    YR27LV-PREA 2.0L EFI ATM
    YR27LV-PREK 2.0L EFI ATM

The only problem is the production year is to 1988 and mine is 1989. And this is what I came up with for my production years-

TOYOTA 27060-72180 IS USED IN THE CATALOGUES:

TOYOTA
    EUROPE
    LITEACE VAN WAGON [CR2*, KR2*, YR2*] 1992-1995
    GENERAL
    LITEACE VAN WAGON [CR27, KR2*, YR2*, 39] 1992-2000
    JAPAN
    TOWN/MASTERACE V,WG [KR2*, YR2*, 3*, CR2*, 3*] 1988-1992

Looks like I'm S.O.L. and will need to call my parts importer. Not unless there's some BC members that happen to know which US or Canadian models it will cross reference with?? But it looks like there should be a lot of them available so the price shouldn't be too steep. I got a quote on the first alternator for $175.

My Van(s):

After digging up all the info and illustrations I came to the conclusion that there was no difference in the alternators... This was just my unprofessional opinion. Although the part numbers were different they both fit the same YR2* chassis not to mention numerous other vehicles.

I called my imported and he told me he could get a good used (not reman) for $200 and a new one from Japan for $980... And I was like "yeah right"!!

So I went on my gut feeling and ordered the Denso Pro alternator part number 27060-72060.... And you know what??? Ba-Bing!!!! It fits!!!

The van is back to normal, no warning lights, no charging her up at night, she she's all good.
    She cranks... Like a BOSS, she starts.... Like a BOSS, she runs... Like a BOSS!!!
    Last edited by JDM VANMAN; 07-11-2014 at 12:27 PM.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE 5 spd mnl

Quote Originally Posted by JDM VANMAN View Post
    ...The only problem is the production year is to 1988 and mine is 1989. And this is what I came up with for my production years-

Glad you got your Townace rolling. From what I remember reading, they manufactured till 88, but had enough parts and pieces laying around to build more and called them an 89....i think.

I'm assuming you imported your van...How difficult was that? Is your steering on passenger side?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by ratatouille View Post
    Is your steering on passenger side?
    Regardless of where the van is imported from, steering is always on the driver's side . (sorry, couldn't resist )

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE 5 spd mnl

True tim.....However, don't tell the hormonal wife you don't want to turn around to get a dip cone from Mcdonald's when she's pregnant and craving ice cream......Steering WILL come from passenger side in that case... I think the only time I've done a u-turn going 45mph. ha

My Van(s):

Yes I figured that the last production year in the US would be 1988 for the 89' vans and then they were continued in Japan as the TownAce and MasterAce from 1988-1992 and then again in the Liteace from 1992-2000 all using the YR2 series chassis then that's how I came to the conclusion regardless of the difference of the part numbers.

Rata- if your looking to import there's a whole lotta stuff to read on the web about it, then you can decide if that's the route for you too.

LOL- yes Tim the steering is always on the driver side!!!!

I kept the JDM alternator to have it rebuilt after I research some reputable shops, in the mean time here's some pics-

ENJOY!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

My Van(s):

I spoke with my buddy Dave at work MasterTech and DieselTech and he know a reputable shop that can rebuild the OEM JDM alternator. What were the parts that are replaced when this rebuild is done?

Can you post the OEM part numbers so I can look them up and see the cost of them. I'll probably order the parts and take it all to them.

Thank you

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

That thread I linked you to above has the factory part number in it for the brushes. IMO that's the only part in the alternator worth purchasing new from Toyota. The other parts, if even available through them, would be prohibitively expensive. That's why I get my parts (all but the brushes) used from the salvage yards. If you pull parts from vehicles other than vans (that have the same era Denso alternators), these parts are typically in good shape. While in the yards I only take parts from original alternators (stay away from the aftermarket rebuilds).

Keep in mind that if you buy new OEM parts and have a professional rework your alternator, you will be into it for more $$$ than a Denso rebuild (actually rebuilt by Denso using OEM parts). Tim

My Van(s):

Awe man sorry bout that Tim, that was a excellent rebuild thread you posted earlier I should have refreshed myself by reviewing the whole thread again. You truly have 320 gigabyte mind capacity to remember everyone's issues

I'll call the shop The Rebuilders and get a quote to see if I should pursue the with it.

Thank you