Thread: Roof rack rails question

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1993 Previa 2WD

Re: Roof rack rails question

notice the sliding door on the left? ;)

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1991 Previa LE Rwd Silverleaf Metallic, Dual Sunroofs (Coolest Van Ever)

I found a homemade bracket on the internet (and kept the picture for future reference).

There are factory Roof Rails made for the Sunroof Previas in Europe and the mounts for those are on the American Previa's. A small square piece of plastic is covering the holes on the sunroof roof rails. It's easy to make your own bracket and use aftermarket cross bars.

I found a homemade bracket that bolts into the side rails on the American previas. After he installed the homemade brackets, he covered them with a piece of rubber that covers up the bracket where it mounts to the rail. There are many variations of crossbars available that can be bolted to the brackets.

I am having trouble adding the picture here, so here is a link to the homemade bracket.
    http://postimg.org/image/oy26kjo75

If the picture fails for any reason send me a private message with your email address and I'll send it to you.

James
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Van(s):
    95 Previa LE S/C

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I found a homemade bracket on the internet (and kept the picture for future reference).

There are factory Roof Rails made for the Sunroof Previas in Europe and the mounts for those are on the American Previa's. A small square piece of plastic is covering the holes on the sunroof roof rails. It's easy to make your own bracket and use aftermarket cross bars.

I found a homemade bracket that bolts into the side rails on the American previas. After he installed the homemade brackets, he covered them with a piece of rubber that covers up the bracket where it mounts to the rail. There are many variations of crossbars available that can be bolted to the brackets.

I am having trouble adding the picture here, so here is a link to the homemade bracket.
    http://postimg.org/image/oy26kjo75

If the picture fails for any reason send me a private message with your email address and I'll send it to you.

James
    I remember seeing a guy on Toyota Nation that got 2 sets of OEM roof racks for the sunroofed previas from the UK. Maybe down the line when I get things around me more settled, I might decide to look into OEM ones. I am not a fan of the aftermarket ones I've seen. But I still got some small misc stuff to work change out on the previa.

My Van(s):
    '94 LE dual sunroofs "Whistler" -AND- '97 DX SC Alltrac shredder rescue "Elmer"

The mounts that CVTRoger posted a picture on back last July are Yakima "TopLoader" part number 8008
    I bought a sunroof van a few months ago that has a set, and the PO still had the box they came in.
    Ugly or not, they are pretty secure, and accept Yakima rain gutter towers, I think.
    I don't think Yakima makes them any more, but Amazon still has a few sets. I wonder how long they'll last now that I've posted this?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by pdgizwiz View Post
    I wonder how long they'll last now that I've posted this?
    Lol, I know exactly what you mean. I've shot myself in the foot so many times by posting part numbers to stuff here. Next thing you know.......NLA. The only hope I have is if they move enough product they may decide to keep making a little bit longer.........nah, that's a pipe dream. Tim

My Van(s):
    95 Previa LE S/C

Quote Originally Posted by pdgizwiz View Post
    The mounts that CVTRoger posted a picture on back last July are Yakima "TopLoader" part number 8008
    I bought a sunroof van a few months ago that has a set, and the PO still had the box they came in.
    Ugly or not, they are pretty secure, and accept Yakima rain gutter towers, I think.
    I don't think Yakima makes them any more, but Amazon still has a few sets. I wonder how long they'll last now that I've posted this?

Let me add that my personal taste doesn't matter to actual functionality. I would like to get a set of those OEM ones that were sold in the UK.

IMG_1686.jpg

The one that theMan posted on the white previa, to me is nice, but I dont like the end part.
    At the junkyard I've seen some high standing roof racks, I think by hercules, if I get back out there soon and they are still available, I'll take a pic.

I haven't really thought about roof storage since I have not really gone on long trips or serious camping, but I think that will change.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

I'm amazed at the availability of factory parts available in the U.S.A. for such an old model. I'm wondering if the Factory Roof Racks are available through Toyota dealers or Parts suppliers in Europe?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    still deciding!

Quote Originally Posted by cvtroger View Post
    Here is my van. From what the towing company said, the previous owner talked about the yakima racks and had it on the van.

While there are not racks, the mounts are left.

Attachment 1796
    Hey! I just got a Previa with this roof garnish and was looking for a rack and was wondering if you ever found one? I dont see these little bracket cut outs on mine... Loving it otherwise so far!

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    97 Previa DX SC AWD...alive! 95 Previa LE SC AWD (RIP) 93 Previa LE AWD (rustbucket w/ no reverse...parts van) 91 Previa LE AWD (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by nwuknowme View Post
    Hey! I just got a Previa with this roof garnish and was looking for a rack and was wondering if you ever found one? I dont see these little bracket cut outs on mine... Loving it otherwise so far!
    Unfortunately, it looks like that poster hasn't posted here in 3 years.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by nwuknowme View Post
    2020-08-13 08.18.15.jpg

This rack was custom made. Easy to do with the brackets that use the existing screw holes on this roof design. Weld the front to back rails onto the brackets.

I've owned this 1991 Toyota Previa for nearly Seven years. Runs like a champ.

Good luck!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

The Previas with factory sun-roofs have different side moldings.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    The Previas with factory sun-roofs have different side moldings.
    Yes. And the Factory Sunroof models have mounting screw locations for the Factory Roof Rack available on the sunroof models in Europe. You pop the covers off ( for those whoe don't know ) and the holes are there ready for bolts.

I'm not sure why the Factory Sunroof Roof Rack isn't available in the USA?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

20211226_085011.jpg

4, 100 Watt Solar Panels.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    91 Previa

How are your 400W delivered? - 30A @ 12V? If so, do you ever get 30A?

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1992 Previa AT LE

James, you so need to get a vanity plate that says GMIDCSH (Fifth Element reference)
    "If you find yourself holding a sledgehammer or a crowbar, it's time for a break."

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    91 Previa

Quote Originally Posted by man_btc View Post
    ... GMIDCSH (Fifth Element reference)
    Dan, once again you are way ahead of me, and I could not find a translation. Help for the acronymically challenged?

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1992 Previa AT LE

Sorry, the roof-mounted panels just immediately reminded me of a scene in the movie -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OADJl-CVDo0
    The plate's actually a rebus (suggests the sound of the word or phrase, as many vanity plates do) rather than an acronymn.
    "Gimme da casssshhhh!"

Once again, apologies to all. I really value this site's focus on to-the-point posts rather than nerdy shenanigans such as this...
    "If you find yourself holding a sledgehammer or a crowbar, it's time for a break."