Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A/C, power steering, and fan (water pump/alternator) belts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Currently 1987 2wd LE… Previously Owned a 1985 5speed & a 1986 gargo

A/C, power steering, and fan (water pump/alternator) belts

Hi. Hope you can help me out, I'm looking at a 1987 cargo van the current owner removed the power steering pump when a friend told him he didn't need it, the van is listed with that note and also the A/C doesn't work. I stopped to look the van over it has a bit of rust and the windshield needs to be replaced which is no big deal, but I noticed there is a belt missing where the PS pump was located does this belt also run the A/C, if so will I have to replace the PS pump, can I just get a smaller size belt to test it out or will I have to mount an idler pulley to test out the A/C. Also the engine sounds really good it has 170,000 on it just broken in. Thanks for any insight you may have.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: A/C Power steering pump

AC and PWR STR are 2 different belts running parallel to each other, no way to make one work off the other.
    Both have idler pullers which are notorious for failing but at least are easily replaced.

If they deleted power steering it is most likely because the pump was leaking and it was easier to delete than spend the money to fix it properly.
    Besides it spares the alternator from getting a constant bath in Str fluid (when the pump is leaking)

If you buy the van I would hook up belts to both systems, replace whats broken and live happily ever after.
    BB

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: A/C Power steering pump

On the vans with all power options there are 3 belts. The serpentine belt runs the water pump & alternator, the power steering belt runs only the power steering, and the AC belt runs only the AC. Many of us have run without power steering for short periods of time, and I'm sure some have driven long term without. Personally I find the van much more fun to drive with PS, so I keep mine in good repair. Another reason to fix the power steering is the bevel gear. The steering on these vans passes through a bevel gear. These aren't the strongest and have been known to fail (there was actually a recall on these). Running without power assist greatly increases the load on the bevel gear & could lead to early failure. Tim

4. 07-13-2014, 03:47 PM

Reason
    off topic / hijacking

5. 07-14-2014, 07:46 PM

Reason
    off topic / hijacking

6. 07-14-2014, 09:06 PM

Reason
    off topic / hijacking

7. 07-15-2014, 08:40 AM

Reason
    off topic / hijacking

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Cargo Van

Power steering belt

Hi, I'm new here, but I just bought a 1986 cargo van and the previous owner drove without power steering because the belts kept snapping on him. The pulley system (the one that isn't the pump) is very tight and doesn't turn by hand easily. My question is, is this something that can be loosened to give it some play? And does anyone know the part # for the belt itself?

Thanks guys!

-Nick

9. 08-09-2015, 09:23 PM

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Cargo Van

Re: Power steering belt

OK, so I got the new belt from Autozone. The problem is that it is too big for the pulley system, or I just can't figure out where the additional pulley is. All I see for the power steering system is two wheels. The other track I found is for the A/C system and that belt is also missing. I bought this van two weeks ago and I'll be honest, it's in rough shape. But the main issues to keep it going are the power steering system and from what I can tell, the ECU temp sensor. Due to what I could find on the forum with similar posts, its idle from cold start and even warm idle will kill it. I've found that it's either the ECU temp sensor or the Bimetal Vacuum Switching Valve. Does the power steering system only have the two pulley wheels? And what's the easiest way to loosen the ECU temp sensor with limited tools and not taking apart too many things?

Thanks

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Sounds like it's missing the idler pulley. There's a 3rd pulley (small one) just inboard of the PS pulley. It's got a vertical bolt w/12 mm hex head for adjusting belt tension. The 14 mm hex head bolt in the center of the pulley is to lock it in place once it's adjusted. If you're missing this pulley and/or it's mounting bracket, the best thing to do would be to find a van in a salvage yard and take these parts. Toyota may still stock these, but they will likely charge $250 or so. A salvage yard would likely charge $15 or so. If you go this route, there's a little bearing inside the pulley that should be replaced. The part number is 6302-2RS and is easy to find for cheap: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...02-2RS&_sop=15

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Cargo Van

I have the idler pulley that is circled in your picture. What else does it run off of? I may be missing that part There is an area that the belt goes down further that I can't seem to find.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

It's powered off the main crankshaft pulley's outermost belt groove. In the picture below, the PS belt is installed. These are the 3 pulleys it needs to be on:

My Van(s):
    1997,1999 Chrysler Town and Country, and now, it looks like I mechanically own a 1989 Toyota "Space Van" since no one knows how to work on a car anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    Sounds like it's missing the idler pulley. There's a 3rd pulley (small one) just inboard of the PS pulley. It's got a vertical bolt w/12 mm hex head for adjusting belt tension. The 14 mm hex head bolt in the center of the pulley is to lock it in place once it's adjusted. If you're missing this pulley and/or it's mounting bracket, the best thing to do would be to find a van in a salvage yard and take these parts. Toyota may still stock these, but they will likely charge $250 or so. A salvage yard would likely charge $15 or so. If you go this route, there's a little bearing inside the pulley that should be replaced. The part number is 6302-2RS and is easy to find for cheap: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...02-2RS&_sop=15

I want to say thank you for posting the Bearing number. I'm going to order it at Napa since I know they carry good quality bearings. Or try Baxters and have them push in the bearings at the machine shop here in Oregon.

My mom called me today and told me her belt shredded off. Got there and took of the power steering pulley, and found that it would still drive fine with without it. I had her drive it home and she made it home just fine. I will show photos of the bearing and post them in a week . MAN it seized up The belt got so hot it was like crunchy.

I will post parts that I got and where I got them and hopefully part numbers so it will help someone in the future.

Again, THANK YOU BRO!
    -iMickey503

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: A/C, power steering, and fan (water pump/alternator) belts

I've changed that bearing a few times. It's been a while, so I don't remember all the details, but I don't think it needed any pressing. I think it just pops out and the new one pops right back in. That bearing is used a lot on motorcycles, so if Napa doesn't have one a motorcycle shop should. Good luck. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    '86 2wd Cargo / '89 Isuzu Trooper

[/QUOTE]

Tim et al.,
    Looks like the best post to add to instead of starting a new one. Having trouble with the alignment of my pulleys. Specifically the AC compressor (see attached pic). It is about one-half pulley width offset to the adjacent tensioner pulley. With the AC compressor bracket bolt-on design, it doesn't look like there's a possibility to shim anything here. Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm concerned about belt failure with such a drastic offset over a short distance. Note that the tensioner pulley and associated crank pulley are pretty close to being aligned. Name:  20220606_202337.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  98.4 KB

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: A/C, power steering, and fan (water pump/alternator) belts

More importantly, what is the pressure rating for that fuel filter, fuel hoses, and the clamps? Normal operating pressure for the van's fuel system is ~ 40 psi and that stuff looks to be only rated for ~ 5 psi. If any of that springs a leak things can get very exciting in a bad way. Especially if it blows all at once in a hot engine bay on a hot day.

Regarding the AC alignment, I didn't know it was possible, but it looks like the AC compressor pulley is installed backwards. Check out this pic from one of my parts vans:

Name:  IMG_4515.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  94.8 KB

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

replacing belts

Noticed the alternator belt had a longitudinal crack in it, so i bought new alternator and power steering Gates belts from Rock Auto at around $10 a piece. I figured by the looks of it you have to remove the power steering belt in order to get the new alternator belt past it so why not do them both at once. No A/C on this van which I would assume would normally be a 3rd belt.

Is there a write up on how to remove the old belts and get the new ones on? I tried searching the forum for about 30 mins but couldn't find anything. Also, how do I verify proper tension? Do I need to buy/rent/borrow a tool?

I haven't ever replaced belts before, but figure I should be able to do it myself with enough direction

My Van(s):
    1988 4x4 Van Formerly: 1986 Cargo Van Parted Out: 1989 4x4 Van, 1987 4x4 Van, 1986 Van

Re: replacing belts

This thread and this thread helped me when I went to change belts. Good luck!

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

Re: replacing belts

thanks for the links. couple quick questions. in this video from your second link, the pulley for the PS belt is the one at the top of the frame correct? I loosen the center bolt and then the long adjustment bolt on top of/behind it?

as far as the alternator belt it sounds like i just loosen the upper and lower mounting bolts then use the wing nut to adjust tension.

do i need to remove the fan/fan shroud? is that pretty easy to do? i noticed when trying to get at that upper pulley center bolt it was blocking my socket wrench from getting at it.