Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: A/C, power steering, and fan (water pump/alternator) belts

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: A/C, power steering, and fan (water pump/alternator) belts

I've changed that bearing a few times. It's been a while, so I don't remember all the details, but I don't think it needed any pressing. I think it just pops out and the new one pops right back in. That bearing is used a lot on motorcycles, so if Napa doesn't have one a motorcycle shop should. Good luck. Tim

My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5spd

So i am in a similar spot as some of the other folks in this thread where in i need to get my hands on a new power steering drive belt idler assembly.. Long story short i was driving and my water pump / alt belt snapped, I managed to get the van home and went to remove the front power steering belt to get access to the rear alt belt and after loosening the pulley bolt i was still having a really tough time backing off the adjustment bolt on the tensioner.. a few tries and i snapped the bolt off in it .. Then wasn't able to drill it out either so looks like I need a replacement..

Hope you don't mind, I grabbed the pics from page 1 of this thread to help illustrate the part I am looking for .. If anyone has one in a parts pile, parts van etc .. id really appreciate the chance to buy one from a member here.. There is only one van in norcal at the yards at the moment and that is all the way up in Sacramento.. The way things are with work n kids at home at the moment.. well, its a stretch to think ill get a whole day to make that drive .. needless to say its a gamble if that one van even has the part still...

Name:  yota idler.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  21.0 KB

I am really hoping i can get the van back on the road soon .. I recently added a rear bumper with tow hitch and have been using the van to launch my tin boat at my local marina been sneaking away for a couple hours with my son on the Petaluma river a couple days a week .. he (and I) are really missing it ..

My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5spd

Well small update . I actually managed to drill out the busted bolt and re-tap the belt tensioner .. I am going to re-assemble tomorrow and see how it looks .. I may still be interested in a replacement depending on how well it goes together if anyone out there has a lead ... but fingers crossed this goes back together and looks like it will hold up.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 Cargo Van, Manual

What's the length and thread of the long vertical bolt on the idler pulley? I remember Tim posting it somewhere but I cant find it for the life of me...

EDIT: GOT IT - M8 x 1.25 x 90
    Last edited by dom; 02-27-2021 at 07:02 AM.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    '86 2wd Cargo / '89 Isuzu Trooper

Re: Power steering belt

[/QUOTE]

Tim et al.,
    Looks like the best post to add to instead of starting a new one. Having trouble with the alignment of my pulleys. Specifically the AC compressor (see attached pic). It is about one-half pulley width offset to the adjacent tensioner pulley. With the AC compressor bracket bolt-on design, it doesn't look like there's a possibility to shim anything here. Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm concerned about belt failure with such a drastic offset over a short distance. Note that the tensioner pulley and associated crank pulley are pretty close to being aligned. Name:  20220606_202337.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  98.4 KB

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

More importantly, what is the pressure rating for that fuel filter, fuel hoses, and the clamps? Normal operating pressure for the van's fuel system is ~ 40 psi and that stuff looks to be only rated for ~ 5 psi. If any of that springs a leak things can get very exciting in a bad way. Especially if it blows all at once in a hot engine bay on a hot day.

Regarding the AC alignment, I didn't know it was possible, but it looks like the AC compressor pulley is installed backwards. Check out this pic from one of my parts vans:

Name:  IMG_4515.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  94.8 KB

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    '86 2wd Cargo / '89 Isuzu Trooper

Thanks, Tim. Fuel line is 30R7 with a 200+ psi rating, same as the remote filter (not pictured). Added the clear filter just to see what the gas looks like. Thanks for the reminder, that wix filter doesn't have a high psi rating, so I decided it was best to remove it. 👍

Thanks for the compressor pulley pick. You are correct, it's not possible to install backwards. Looks like the pulley is pressure fit around the clutch pulley core. I think it must've gotten hot and slipped back? Tried to torch it and press it back to position with no luck. Found that the '86- '88 vans offer a separate clutch pulley #88412-22030 potentially available for purchase at a few places. Still trying to figure out the difference between the '86-88 compressors vs the '89, but it's not clear. Any insight?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

The extent of my AC knowledge is pretty much all here in THIS THREAD. It's a long thread (11 pages), but there is some good info and part numbers, so you should take some time to scan/review. On page 4 I made a post that shows the part number for the compressor in my picture above.