Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A/C, power steering, and fan (water pump/alternator) belts

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Currently 1987 2wd LE… Previously Owned a 1985 5speed & a 1986 gargo

A/C, power steering, and fan (water pump/alternator) belts

Hi. Hope you can help me out, I'm looking at a 1987 cargo van the current owner removed the power steering pump when a friend told him he didn't need it, the van is listed with that note and also the A/C doesn't work. I stopped to look the van over it has a bit of rust and the windshield needs to be replaced which is no big deal, but I noticed there is a belt missing where the PS pump was located does this belt also run the A/C, if so will I have to replace the PS pump, can I just get a smaller size belt to test it out or will I have to mount an idler pulley to test out the A/C. Also the engine sounds really good it has 170,000 on it just broken in. Thanks for any insight you may have.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: A/C Power steering pump

AC and PWR STR are 2 different belts running parallel to each other, no way to make one work off the other.
    Both have idler pullers which are notorious for failing but at least are easily replaced.

If they deleted power steering it is most likely because the pump was leaking and it was easier to delete than spend the money to fix it properly.
    Besides it spares the alternator from getting a constant bath in Str fluid (when the pump is leaking)

If you buy the van I would hook up belts to both systems, replace whats broken and live happily ever after.
    BB

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

On the vans with all power options there are 3 belts. The serpentine belt runs the water pump & alternator, the power steering belt runs only the power steering, and the AC belt runs only the AC. Many of us have run without power steering for short periods of time, and I'm sure some have driven long term without. Personally I find the van much more fun to drive with PS, so I keep mine in good repair. Another reason to fix the power steering is the bevel gear. The steering on these vans passes through a bevel gear. These aren't the strongest and have been known to fail (there was actually a recall on these). Running without power assist greatly increases the load on the bevel gear & could lead to early failure. Tim

4. 07-13-2014, 03:47 PM

Reason
    off topic / hijacking

5. 07-14-2014, 07:46 PM

Reason
    off topic / hijacking

6. 07-14-2014, 09:06 PM

Reason
    off topic / hijacking

7. 07-15-2014, 08:40 AM

Reason
    off topic / hijacking

8. 07-19-2014, 11:51 PM

Reason
    off topic / hijacking

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    A 1984 2WD and an 87 4WD

Re: A/C Power steering pump - I don't see a pulley for my AC compressor drive...

I read this thread, and look under the car and my AC compressor pulley perfectly lines up with my power steering pump belt. As if I got a larger belt it could run the compressor and the power steering. What am I missing here? There are only two pulleys on the crank: the flat belt and the v belt. This van is a basket case project, so the parts came from here, and there, but the AC compressor was still connected to the car, tied back, and hopefully still charged.

Thanks.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    A 1984 2WD and an 87 4WD

Nevermind! I found a photo of the pulley in another thread. My "AC" crank pulley is driving the power steering pump. There are not three pulleys so I suppose this engine came from a non-AC donor.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Cargo Van

Power steering belt

Hi, I'm new here, but I just bought a 1986 cargo van and the previous owner drove without power steering because the belts kept snapping on him. The pulley system (the one that isn't the pump) is very tight and doesn't turn by hand easily. My question is, is this something that can be loosened to give it some play? And does anyone know the part # for the belt itself?

Thanks guys!

-Nick

12. 08-09-2015, 09:23 PM

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Cargo Van

Re: Power steering belt

OK, so I got the new belt from Autozone. The problem is that it is too big for the pulley system, or I just can't figure out where the additional pulley is. All I see for the power steering system is two wheels. The other track I found is for the A/C system and that belt is also missing. I bought this van two weeks ago and I'll be honest, it's in rough shape. But the main issues to keep it going are the power steering system and from what I can tell, the ECU temp sensor. Due to what I could find on the forum with similar posts, its idle from cold start and even warm idle will kill it. I've found that it's either the ECU temp sensor or the Bimetal Vacuum Switching Valve. Does the power steering system only have the two pulley wheels? And what's the easiest way to loosen the ECU temp sensor with limited tools and not taking apart too many things?

Thanks

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Sounds like it's missing the idler pulley. There's a 3rd pulley (small one) just inboard of the PS pulley. It's got a vertical bolt w/12 mm hex head for adjusting belt tension. The 14 mm hex head bolt in the center of the pulley is to lock it in place once it's adjusted. If you're missing this pulley and/or it's mounting bracket, the best thing to do would be to find a van in a salvage yard and take these parts. Toyota may still stock these, but they will likely charge $250 or so. A salvage yard would likely charge $15 or so. If you go this route, there's a little bearing inside the pulley that should be replaced. The part number is 6302-2RS and is easy to find for cheap: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...02-2RS&_sop=15

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Cargo Van

I have the idler pulley that is circled in your picture. What else does it run off of? I may be missing that part There is an area that the belt goes down further that I can't seem to find.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

It's powered off the main crankshaft pulley's outermost belt groove. In the picture below, the PS belt is installed. These are the 3 pulleys it needs to be on:

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Cargo Van

Thanks Tim! That helps a great deal. And of course, another problem arose. Now it won't start. My guess this time would be fuel injectors having too much moisture or condensation. It'll try to turn over with nothing getting to the engine. Gotta love troubleshooting, right?

Nick

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1985 LE 5-spd 1993 Previa AWD

Hello Tim,

Glad I was able to locate this thread, as it pertains to the issue I'm dealing with. The small idler pulley you mention here broke off from the engine block of my 85 van. I am having trouble locating the part (bracket) and was wondering where to look? I also wanted to ask your opinion on what you think might have caused this? I will include a picture below. I really am puzzled at what couldve even caused this break...I have driven over bumps/pot holes since i've owned it but nothing major. I would appreciate any input you can provide! Thank you

Name:  IMG_0484.jpg
Views: 2344
Size:  93.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    It's powered off the main crankshaft pulley's outermost belt groove. In the picture below, the PS belt is installed. These are the 3 pulleys it needs to be on:

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Things just fatigue over time, and I'm guessing it's original (32 years old). Who knows how many belts were over tightened, or how many ignorant diy'ers pried on it, hit it with a hammer, etc. If it's still available through Toyota, I'm guessing they'll want $250 for it. These type parts are what salvage yards are the best for (assuming you can find one). You might also check the classified section of the forum and PM some of the guys selling parts there. Chances are good somebody will have one. Tim

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I just looked this up in the EPC for you. Assuming it's the one for the power steering, it's Toyota part #44350-28011. The bad news is it was only used on Toyota vans and the Hilux, but the not so bad news is it was used on every van from 84 - 89. The really bad news is they think it's worth $293.93 . If available, some of those discount Toyota parts sites would sell for around $220, but IMO a part like this over $75 means "unavailable". I think your best bet is to find a used one somewhere. Salvage yards will sell parts like this for ~$15. Even if it has a bad bearing, these can be had on eBay for ~$5.

It's a cheap and common garden-variety bearing that's used on everything. The part number is 6302-2RS. CLICK HERE to check out how many are listed on eBay at any given time. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Tim,

Thank you SO much for the info! Not terribly surprised about the cost...Looks like I will be scavenging through some salvage yards in the Portland area (considering I'm pretty tight on $ at the moment). Would you recommend having a mechanic do this job? I'm worried about how much it might hurt my wallet... If possible, i'd like to do it myself but I assume the engine is probably gonna need to be taken out...thoughts?

I just looked this up in the EPC for you. Assuming it's the one for the power steering, it's Toyota part #44350-28011. The bad news is it was only used on Toyota vans and the Hilux, but the not so bad news is it was used on every van from 84 - 89. The really bad news is they think it's worth $293.93 . If available, some of those discount Toyota parts sites would sell for around $220, but IMO a part like this over $75 means "unavailable". I think your best bet is to find a used one somewhere. Salvage yards will sell parts like this for ~$15. Even if it has a bad bearing, these can be had on eBay for ~$5.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by Canoed_son View Post
    Tim,

Thank you SO much for the info! Not terribly surprised about the cost...Looks like I will be scavenging through some salvage yards in the Portland area (considering I'm pretty tight on $ at the moment). Would you recommend having a mechanic do this job? I'm worried about how much it might hurt my wallet... If possible, i'd like to do it myself but I assume the engine is probably gonna need to be taken out...thoughts?
    Oh no, this is a basic job. Engine definitely will not need to be taken out. You might be able to do the job from the driver's side compartment, but personally I think it would be easier to pull the passenger seat, the right side engine compartment cover, and maybe the fan shroud. With that stuff out of the way it would be easy to replace. The biggest rookie mistake is over tightening fan belts. They actually make a belt tension tool (maybe one of those rental places have one), but IMO a belt has proper tension when it's just tight enough to not slip. For new belts I set a bit tight because they always stretch a bit during the 1st 100 miles or so. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

That is fantastic news!! I will definitely be doing this myself then...also i was able to locate the part on ebay for around $100.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261498016012

I might just go with that for the sake of time and convenience. I appreciate your advice very much! You have been a huge help.

Oh no, this is a basic job. Engine definitely will not need to be taken out. You might be able to do the job from the driver's side compartment, but personally I think it would be easier to pull the passenger seat, the right side engine compartment cover, and maybe the fan shroud. With that stuff out of the way it would be easy to replace. The biggest rookie mistake is over tightening fan belts. They actually make a belt tension tool (maybe one of those rental places have one), but IMO a belt has proper tension when it's just tight enough to not slip. For new belts I set a bit tight because they always stretch a bit during the 1st 100 miles or so. Tim

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Wow! That's awesome information as to what other vehicles this fits. I cross referenced it in Toyota's EPC, but of course they will only list other Toyotas. I will archive the vehicle list in that eBay listing so we can know what other vehicles to take these parts from in salvage yards. Tim

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

So I gleaned the list of applications for this pulley off the eBay listing, and turns out it's used on a bunch of other Toyotas. I'm guessing they must be using the same part with different numbers??? Hardly makes sense for them to do that, but when I cross referenced the EPC using that part number, only the van & the Hilux popped up. So, for anybody needing this idler pulley in the future, here's the list of vehicles it's used on:

85 - 95 Toyota 4Runner
    85 - 87 Toyota Corolla
    98 - 05 Toyota Hilux
    85 - 89 Toyota Pick-up
    94 Toyota T100
    84 - 89 Toyota Van
    91 - 92 Ford Festiva
    90 - 91 Hyundai Sonata
    94 - 98 Hyundai Sonata
    92 - 93 Mazda 929 Sedan
    90 Mazda B2600 Pick-up
    89 - 95 Mazda MPV
    93 - 93 Nissan D21 Pick-up

BTW, when I purchased my 1st van back in the late 90's, this idler pulley bearing is one of the 1st parts I needed. I went to my local dealer and was told the part was only available in as a complete idler pulley assembly and at that time they wanted ~$150 for it. I scoffed at the priced, then took the bearing to the motorcycle shop just down the street. The parts guy opened a drawer and took one out and said it was a very common bearing used in motorcycles. It cost me ~$5. It really blows me away Toyota is now asking almost $300 for that part. Tim

PS: I just noticed the eBay listing has ended. I hope you were able to get one.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs - Sold. Grey 1987 4wd Cargo conversion, automatic in repair mode.

I have gone to McGuire bearing in Southeast Portland for a couple of the pulley bearings and they are cheap 5-10$(not Japanese or Swedish) and have lasted a few years so far. Bring your old bearing in with you.
    Also I may have a spare bracket if you haven't already bought one or taken one off your neighbors Festiva! Sorry I'm a bit late to this party. Post in the wanted section may work sometimes.