Thread: ignition short

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    2 88le 4x4 le

ignition short

i posted artiucle about blowing efi fuse few weeks ago. since then have swapped ecu, tested all components and isolated wire where short is taking place.

i dont have cell phone so couldnt take pics.

the wire is solid blake wire (heavier gauge 12 or 10) that comes offtarter and goes into main wire bundle under FL panel in back passenger side engine compartment and turns towards battery and ecu....

FSM schematics say neutral start switch and ecu... i feel like since its connected to starter it comes from ignition?

anyways i have gone through and checked each component that is related to circuit and everything checks out...

seems like short is between ignition switch and starter. i have checked ignition switch twice per FSM and seems fine. i had to fix bad pin in steering wheel harness about 5 years ago so im familiar with checking all that stuff
    besides switch itself.

basically just wanna know next connection point of black wire from starter to check continuity before getting into massive main wire bundle.

also curious to where ground point E is located ? its listed as located on under chamber? in FSM

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    2 88le 4x4 le

Re: ignition short

SOLID BLACK WIRE i meant

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    2 88le 4x4 le

so nobody knows where ground point E ....FSM " located on under chamber " is?

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

No idea on "under chamber" if I were the guessing sort, I might head to the intake plenum, to the bundle of wires that connect to ground there.

My manual seems indicates that "b" (located on wiper bracket set bolt) is the ground for the start circuit

Name:  IMG_4910.jpg
Views: 1254
Size:  65.4 KB

Generally speaking, its best not to start new threads for the same issue, it makes following your repairs more difficult and complicates the search function performance moving forward.

What were the results of your previous interrogations? Is the remote start switch still installed? Is the fuse still blowing? does the ign key activate the starter, have you checked how the remote circuit was installed and traced those wires to verify no damaged wires?

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

As I am working from memory and also suffer from CRS, take everything with a grain of salt

I dont believe I have ever met a starter that had anything other than 12v from battery positive on the big post with the big wire.

Its always been the trigger wire to the solenoid, that is the control circuit and has all those devices in line
    (Neutral safety or clutch pedal, start relay...)

Have you verified that you do NOT have an internal short in either the solenoid or the starter?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    2 88le 4x4 le

the remote start was basically just looped between original starter/ ignition wire. as in it connected to small black wire to starter i referred to, ran through engine compartment to push button then back to starter. i found a break in wire insulation that i thought was it, as it was down near starter and could of been grounding out on metal. i fixed but still blowing fuses. i went through most components eliminating one at a time and trying switch. it blows fuse everytime, unless i disconnect wire ( black wire i referred to)
    I just pulled old fuse block out of parts van and had some revelations. i noticed the black wire runs into starter fuse which is actually on the bottom of two fuse holder that clips to fuse block. ????? in my initial inspection on running van there was a 7.5 on top and 15 on bottom, per fuse size i assumed that efi was on the bottom.
    Basically in the twelve years ive owned van never blew those fuses and now realize that perhaps the previous owner swapped them which has led me down the wrong path as far as schematics in my troubleshooting.

Anyways, i will get back into it tomorrow with a new scope of things.

Is there a way to check starter on vehicle? im thinking maybe broken wire shorted to ground and fried somethin in starter?
    Is it possible for starter relay to blow fuse? usually relay will just lose contact and not work. i thought i checked it,l but as i said i was led down the efi rabbit hole, and checked fuel open circuit, efi relay, cruise control, neutrl start etc.
    I twice checked ignition wire and switch on steering column and they seemed to check out visually and with recommended meter test per fsm
    i would like to do as much testing on circuit before removing fuse panel, but i also feel this may be culprit as i had a heater relay meltdown on board a couple years ago
    and was able to make work, but i noticed on an older post pictures i found that inside fuse panel circuitry on the board ignition circuit is very close to blower circuit.

plan of attack ..... check starter, check starter relay, plug meter into fuse circuit and test per FSM, then swap fuse block.

is my assumption that starter fuse is on the bottom of 2 fuse clip correct... it has black and black and red wires and other one has white/blue and white red.

thanks for your response and helpful insight

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

If the starter is shorted internally, it would show as having continuity between the positive connection and the housing, same for the solenoid.
    If not shorted, I would remove it and bench test it, just to eliminate all doubt.

If you choose to do so, make sure its well secured or it will become a projectile.