Thread: fuseable link, ECU

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    86 2wd pass.

fuseable link, ECU

So Hey, back again. Where is the fuseable link for the ecu on a 86 ? No power coming to the ecu, Code is 3 flashes
    Thanks DAn

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Re: fuseable link, ECU

Check your EFI fuse. It's a 15A fuse. Underneath the dash.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    86 2wd pass.

Quote Originally Posted by ninz30 View Post
    Check your EFI fuse. It's a 15A fuse. Underneath the dash.
    Is it on the fuse block ? Mine doesn't have a cover, so I don't know what is what, but they all check out anyway. Still looking for the, "fuseable link" mentioned in, 'the book'

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

If the ECU didn't have power it wouldn't be able to flash a code. Code 3 is a bad coil or igniter. It could also be a bad ECU, but that's the least likely. Coils are cheap and fail more often than igniters, so that would be my guess. The ECU is powered by a fuse outside of the fuse box. There's a little box just to the right of the main fuse box that houses 2 fuses. The one for the ECU is the 15A one on the bottom. Tim

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

After checking the manual, I think it's more likely a failed igniter (see diagram below).

The igniter gets it's power from the AM2 fusible link, but this is 30A & not likely to be blown. Still, you should check it before replacing the igniter. This link is behind the power steering reservoir. Go to the FUSIBLE LINK THREAD to see exact location. I would also turn the ignition switch to "run" & check for power on the B+ terminal of the igniter. If voltage is there, then the igniter is very likely bad. If it's not there, and the AM2 fusible link is good, then use a test light or a volt meter to track voltage.

These igniters are expensive and sometimes hard to find. There's usually a used one on eBay for $75 - $100. I usually snatch them whenever I see a van in the salvage yard for this reason. When purchased from pick-n-pull yards, I usually score them for $5 - $15. If they want more than that I usually leave them laying on their counter. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    86 2wd pass.

Thanks Tim, I put a used igniter on last month, And a new coil . It's been running fine , then ....it just stopped, and said, NO. I just swapped out another ecu, same code. The fuse is ok.
    Do I recall some other part in the dist. that seldom goes bad, and is part of the dist. ? I have another dist.
    This thing drove me crazy before, I had checked any and everything, cleaned what could be, put in new coil, o2 sen. plugs ect. Then got hold of a igniter, that was the problem then. Now, here we go again !

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Yeah, that's the problem with used parts. No way to really know just how used they are either. Still these are durable enough for taking chances. This makes a good argument for having multiples around . When I find parts in the salvage yard I bring them home and test them by swapping into a running van, then my old & proven part sits on the shelf as a known good spare. I sort of get into this stuff though, so I'm like a kid playing with Tinker "Toyos". If you don't like working on cars or don't want a bunch of "junk" laying around, then owning & driving old vehicles can become a problem.

If & when one of my vans break, an ignition problem like this usually only takes less than an hr to figure out..........sometimes I don't even bother testing (I just start changing parts until I stumble on the one that's the problem). Of course I spend time & money gathering and testing parts, so there's that. Good luck figuring out your current issue. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    86 2wd pass.

Tim, Great FL. thread. my shop manual doesn't show locations, just the diagrams. Finding some of those, without the pics is a , "Do what" type situation. I'll check them (knock on wood, with crossed fingers) Last time the ign. went out, it barely ran, but would start. This time it just stopped and that was that. Seems more like a loss of connection, at least that's what I'm telling myself ! Also forgot to mention, I had problems with the ing. switch and by passed it to the starter with a secondary starter switch (ouuu, just like the new cars!) Looks like the switch might be a potential problem ?? If it ever quits raining here in Charleston I go that whole route.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    86 2wd pass.

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    After checking the manual, I think it's more likely a failed igniter (see diagram below)
    I have power from am2 at the ign. switch, and coming off the switch at IG2 But my igniter has a bunch of wires coming out, and into 4 wires at the connection w, bl, y & brn Also two coming from the dist. so which one is the B+ you refer to ?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

It's the black one with the red stripe.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    86 2wd pass.

It's the black one with the red stripe.
    So, I have a small amount of power (using a variable test light my multi meter just died) Should it be stronger 12v ? Or is this another 'great hunt for a igniter ?
    The only BR coded wire I could see was on the harness side of the plug in. no BR on the igniter side.
    None on ebay, got'a get back on the road, but the new one on ebay is 450.00 ! (I'm a poor artist)
    You provide a great service here, but if you REALLY loved us,...you'd get up off of one of those igniters, for a fair price of course !

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I don't sell parts, but I'll loan them for free. I will even eat the shipping from me to you. To be honest I'm not real crazy about loaning another right now because the last one I loaned hasn't come back yet (you know who you are ). PM me if your address and I'll send one out. All I ask is you return it or another good one when you find one for a decent price. Tim

PS: Ignore the wire colors on the igniter side of the plug. When you say low voltage, just how low? I would want to see at least 10v here. I wouldn't want there to be more than a volt different from the battery voltage. If that's the case, then you have a problem with the AM2/IG2 circuit..........perhaps ignition switch contacts?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

BTW, you could test the igniter by temporarily jumping 12V positive from the battery over to the B+ terminal on the igniter. Clear the codes then crank it. If you get the same code back with 12v+ on the B+ igniter wire, then the igniter is likely toast. If it starts, then you know the issue is somewhere on the AM2/IG2 circuit. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    86 2wd pass.

Well I jumped to the B+, it no start, same code, 'damb it Gummby' ! I can't find an igniter locally, and none on ebay right now. I'd break down and pay the $75 that they seem to bring there, but.....
    So I'll take you up on your very generous offer. And I WILL get it back to you ! BTW if you or yous are into Art, I have a free Art project,

( could be part of the reason I don't have any $) You can check out thetenthousandthings.us All is explained there. If you or whoever, would like some, let me know the style you like, Abstract, Illegal alien cartoons, Chinese style paintings, Dr. Seuss type landscapes, anti war skulls, weird space monsters eating planets, stylized dancers, and so forth. And I'll send whoever some. ( all 10,000 are original, numbered paintings) My way of saying thanks for all you do here on this site, ( A lot of time and effort I know).
    And , what the heck,.... any of the, 'van people' out there. PM me with address. Or check badartdog.us, if you just want to check some of my other 'big' Art. I can also be contacted through those web sites.
    OH, I did find a "86" truck, will that part work for the van ?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

To my knowledge, our igniters are unique to the van (86 - 89). It's possible there are others that may be adaptable, but you'd have to experiment to find out. Ours are recognizable by the big "79" printed on the label. PM me your info & I'll send one out. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    86 2wd pass.

I tried to pm you, must have done something wrong. do I send a message to , "timsrv" ?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Actually your PM came in right after I posted that. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    86 2wd pass.

Actually your PM came in right after I posted that. Tim
    Tim, The part arrived, and.........YES, I'm, "on the road again", just like Willie Nelson ! As soon as I find a replacement, I'll send it. Thanks a million, you saved my bacon. If I were to have more kids, I'd name them after you.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Chalk another one up to a failed igniter. Tim