Thread: New Previa Owner- Loud knocking noise

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Previa LE 1995

New Previa Owner- Loud knocking noise

I have been looking at Previas for a while and I finally convinced my wife to let me get one. It was cheap. $1500 for a 1995 with only 138,000. The only problem is I was quite scared to drive it home. It makes a loud knocking sound especially when the wheel is turned and then sometimes when it is being shifted into reverse it sounds like metal grinding. I am not very mechanically minded but maybe this is my start. I really like these vans and I believe they are better than anything new. I want to get it working well. Please help. Thanks.

Oh, the man I bought it from said it had been setting for almost 2 years. Maybe that will help diagnose.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1993 Previa 2WD

Re: New Previa Owner- Loud knocking noise

sounds like bad SADS

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    previa

Re: New Previa Owner- Loud knocking noise

Quote Originally Posted by previaphan View Post
    I have been looking at Previas for a while and I finally convinced my wife to let me get one. It was cheap. $1500 for a 1995 with only 138,000. The only problem is I was quite scared to drive it home. It makes a loud knocking sound especially when the wheel is turned and then sometimes when it is being shifted into reverse it sounds like metal grinding. I am not very mechanically minded but maybe this is my start. I really like these vans and I believe they are better than anything new. I want to get it working well. Please help. Thanks.

Oh, the man I bought it from said it had been setting for almost 2 years. Maybe that will help diagnose.
    I'm just curious...did it make that sound when you test drove it?