Thread: Sliding Door Stuck Shut

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Cargo Van

Sliding Door Stuck Shut

Last week I opened my sliding door, and when i went to shut it, it would not latch shut but instead just slammed metal to metal. I tried lifting it up with a friend and shutting it several times, and it finally latched. The problem is it only latched in the back, the front end of the door has about an inch and a half gap between it and the body of the van. the door is not in danger of flying open, but when i try to open it, the handle is so stuck it will not even budge. I am going to take off the inside panel and try to assess what may be going on. I wanted to post and see if anyone has had a similar issue and, if so, how they remedied the problem.

Thanks.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Re: Sliding Door Stuck Shut

Check the latch to make sure it didn't get closed while the door was still open. I've bumped my before and inadvertently latched it.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Cargo Van

Quote Originally Posted by originalkwyjibo View Post
    Check the latch to make sure it didn't get closed while the door was still open. I've bumped my before and inadvertently latched it.
    I was actually able to get it open and now I am able to see that the door got stuck because it is way out of alignment. I have searched all over the forum looking for help. Anybody have any walk throughs or tips on realigning a sliding door?

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

Got pictures? The only time I've seen this problem was when the upper roller/guide was out of the track, but without seeing this, there's no way to know if it's that or something different.

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")