Thread: 4 runner torsion bar MOD

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    87 4x4

4 runner torsion bar MOD

Here is a photo dump from installing larger torsion bars on my 4x4 van.

Basically you have to compensate for the the bars being 2" longer.

Here is the donor car:
    IMG_20140611_062158.jpg

Here is the stock 4 runner rear bracket. Welds ground down. The lathe was handy but not required. A grinder would be fine. You can see my note of 2.75" is the desired length on that side. Next step is to hammer the tube to the rear.
    IMG_20140611_084342.jpg

Tapped and rewelded. 2 passes with TIG. Remember these components support the weight of the car.
    IMG_20140612_154230.jpg

IMG_20140612_154226.jpg

Now for the front:
    Stock runner bracket, getting the ears chopped off.

IMG_20140609_131121.jpg

New front brackets using the 4runner spline socket.
    IMG_20140612_154142.jpg

About 5 passes of welding. Root with TIG followed by stick.
    I used 1/2" plate, Probably over kill. 3/8 would probably be fine. Maybe an engineer out there can do a strength conversion of 1/2 cast iron to plate conversion.

IMG_20140612_154207.jpg
    spacers are needed on the front to clear the rear a arm bushing.

IMG_20140615_082546.jpg

On Each socket there is a large idexing tooth. Its really hard to see even when the spline socket are clean. They were not where i needed them to be and had to be ground down with a die grinder. Now there is infinite rotational adjustment options to setup your preload in the back.

Ride is much softer at the same ride height. Much less rebound response when hitting bumps. I think i am 18.5" hub to fender.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: 4 runner torsion bar MOD

Very impressive. Thanks for sharing. Glad you got the results you were looking for. I'm curious as to the logic behind this. I know the stock 4wd van torsions are 22 mm diameter. What is the diameter of the 4Runner bars? I drive overloaded 2wd cargo vans (19.8 mm dia bars) & might be interested in such an upgrade. Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    87 4x4

4runner t bars are 25mm diameter.

There is only 4" of travel in the front suspension. Maybe 5 if you trim the bump stops.
    I setup the torsion bars 3" compression travel. 1"' droop.

Or 18.5" hub to fender.
    Last edited by coronan; 04-11-2016 at 08:52 PM.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

coronan, this is awesome! I'm wanting to get the needed lift in front without the cranked torsions. I did the aerostar springs/tacoma shocks in rear and its working really great so far. however the front..... it rebounds like a trampoline when off-roading. additional travel would also be super nice to have. i don't have any fab/welding tools or skill however.

Is this something i could have a shop (reasonably) do? Is there any other lift methods for the front? My understanding with your mod is that its simply allowing you to have the additional 1-2" of lift without all the preload due to the thicker diameter torsions.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    87 4x4

Thats correct. I wanted better ride quality at the same ride height of cranked torsion bars.
    It still bounces if i drive the van too hard. But its much improved. Speed bumps dont buck me out of my seat any more.

I didnt hear you say that you replaced the front shocks.

I really believe bounce should be controlled by shocks.

I would like to see someone fit adjustable rancho shocks.

Maybe dual shocks.

We gotta think out of the box with These vans as there is no aftermarket support.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

I haven't actually replaced the front shocks, but its on the list. The PO claimed he replaced them but they don't control bounce well at all. I just assume the cranked torsions were to blame for that.

Dual shocks would be awesome! Do you have a thread for your coiler project? I'd be interested to see that.

I have zero equipment or experience with fabrication of this level so I have to rely on the creativity of others in this forum

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1993 Toyota Town Ace 2.2D 4x4

I'm totally going to do this mod. The OG front torsions were designed around small framed Japanese families I suppose because with 2 slightly overweight Americans (me, lol) in the front seats it nearly bottoms out. Now to get dimensions for everything and start ordering parts.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

please keep this thread updated with your progress. I think this would be a very common mod if there was a good write up on it. I replaced the shocks with the Bilsteins (Dodge Durango) and have had them in for a year or two and they help a lot but I think the better torsion bars along with those would really tame the bounce down significantly while still maintaining the lift.
    Space Cruisers - Cruising Across The Galaxy