Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Standard to LE (add tach) and LE to standard cluster swaps

My Van(s):
    1988 4WD 5 Speed #1 - 1988 4WD 5 Speed #2

Re: Tachometer Upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by bikerjosh View Post
    Here is the diagram I PM'd you about.
    Hey thanks for posting this! I hope I can put it to use. I haven't looked yet but others have said it may be completely different from the two I have

-

I'm a little discouraged but I guess this is how this van is going to be. The main reason I wanted to tear the dash apart was to get to the driver side washer nozzle that has broken off and squirts straight out in front of the van. Hilarious when parked at a cross-walk, but useless for the Colorado winter road spray.

I figured while Im taking the cluster out to reach the back of the nozzle, I would swap to a tach cluster. Well, the washer nozzle is hidden behind a secret, nearly inaccessible panel that looks like a major disassembly of the entire front end to get to. I am more than capable of doing this but is far more than I wanted to tackle.

To this Im sure someone will say, "Welcome to the van club". Id rather you hit me in the face with a bat.

My Van(s):
    87' blue LE 4wd 5spd, sold it in 2000, sad ever since.

yeah, I've read about the odyssey to get to the windshield sprayers. Reminds me of the times I was at junk yards and either saw 'hood won't open' sprayed on the front of the van or the front sheet metal cut out from someone trying to get a part from under the dash in about an 1/8th of the time.
    Here are the two pages of my 87 service manual that I got the data from. I was going from 87 non-tach 4wd cluster to 87 tach 4wd cluster.Name:  IMG_0707.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  96.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_0706.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  95.3 KB
    Last edited by bikerjosh; 09-26-2018 at 11:58 PM. Reason: pic sizing
    1987 4wd 5spd Cargo van (uncut)-modding in 3,2,1

My Van(s):

Slowly getting to it. I have an 87 FSM , and an Electrical book too. Ill delve in to them once I get the washer thing fixed.

For fun, here are what I have: Top is '88 5 speed cargo 4WD, bottom is unknown cluster from ebay. Only listed with a range of years. It has a tach but no idea if it was manual, auto, LE, 2WD, etc.

My Van(s):

If you take a pic of the fronts it should be pretty easy to tell AT/5spd 4wd vs 2wd etc-Josh

My Van(s):

My '88 5 speed 4x4 is on the top. Mystery cluster on the bottom. Any ideas what it's out of? It looks alot like the one in the '87 FSM.

My Van(s):

Lower one is from a 2wd AT equipped van, LE likely. IMO

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

If you really wanted to know what it is from, shine a flashlight into the idiot light holes and note what "warnings" are indicated.
    But it really doesn't matter what its from and for what its worth, mine looked exactly like the manual too.
    (automatics have an overdrive light, 4wd auto's have a trans temp light + O/D light, not sure what other differences there are)

That said, the only thing that matters is the icons on the printed circuit board, if you map the wires associated to the plugs, you will find out what wires have to move to new positions. Once that is done, clean the pack inside and out, replace all the bulbs and install.

8. 09-29-2018, 03:43 PM

My Van(s):

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but its not working. As soon as I connect the battery, the check engine light comes on even without the key in. I also started the engine and the tach is no go. I ran the tach wire to the C-8 pin per manual, but the icon is not IIA, its IG-. I don't see an IIA icon on my new cluster.

I did everything slowly and carefully and double and triple checked everything. Any ideas?

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

It's been a long time, but I remember similar issues.

For what its worth, I found some notes.
    These were the changes to the harness plugs for the new pack:

A6 (Seat belt warning) From B6
    A7 (Oil Press) New wire from New sender

B1 (water temp) From C8
    B4 (charge) From B5
    B5 (Ign) From B4
    B7 (efi ecu) From B1
    B8 (Dome) From B7

C3 (door courtesy) From B8
    C4 (fuel warning) From C3
    C5 (rad warn) From C9
    C6 (gauge) From C7
    C8 (IIA) New wire from dist
    C9 (light rheostat) From C10

D1 (oil level) From B3

My Van(s):

That's identical to what I have. sigh... I guess Ill check the wires again in the morning.

Do you also have the CEL light up on its own before you figured it out?

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

I didn't have any other issues, that I remember.

There was talk some time ago about diodes in the instrument pack and LE and DLX's are in different locations but I never had the issue so it may be pack dependant.
    Can't find the thread I was thinking of, but this one covers it too, possibly worth looking into??

problem with warning lights at startup

Van Enthusiast blakebecker37130's Avatar
    My Van(s):
    96 Previa Alltrac SC LE

I believe I sold this to you. My records show me shipping one recently to your town. It’s out of an 86Le 2WD.

Name:  D172AFB5-D474-4F99-ACFB-591F4A5876E4.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  19.0 KB

I believe this vin plate and the van year make and model was provided in the description.

Van Enthusiast blakebecker37130's Avatar
    My Van(s):
    96 Previa Alltrac SC LE

Auto trans

My Van(s):
    1988 toyota van 5spd 4x4

Re: Standard to LE (add tach) and LE to standard cluster swaps

Just picked up an 87 4x4 auto LE cluster to go in to my 88 manual 4x4, forgot to grab the proper oil pressure sender off the LE motor and i am having trouble sourcing a new one. anybody have a part number or location where they bought a decent one? found one listed at napa for like $60 seems a lot for a small amenity
    thanks

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota 4wd Cargo Van

Quote Originally Posted by Krab Krust View Post
    Just picked up an 87 4x4 auto LE cluster to go in to my 88 manual 4x4, forgot to grab the proper oil pressure sender off the LE motor and i am having trouble sourcing a new one. anybody have a part number or location where they bought a decent one? found one listed at napa for like $60 seems a lot for a small amenity
    thanks
    If it's just the oil pressure sending unit, they can be had for less than 10 bucks. The AT/ Manual ones are the same I thought...

Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C81MRA/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Screws into the same boss near the dizzy on passenger side of engine.

My Van(s):
    1988 toyota van 5spd 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Flecker View Post
    If it's just the oil pressure sending unit, they can be had for less than 10 bucks. The AT/ Manual ones are the same I thought...

Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C81MRA/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Screws into the same boss near the dizzy on passenger side of engine.
    I need the one that's for the oil pressure gauge on an LE, I thought they look a bit different, larger and more round. the one on the LE van was much bigger diameter and so was the one on my truck when i switched to the sr5 gauges and had to swap from the dummy light sensor to one that actually read pressure. the picture is just an example of what my truck had with the dummy light and what i switched to to run the factory sr5 oil pressure gauge. Guess what i'm asking is are you sure that the one on amazon you sent the link for works for the LE oil pressure gauge?It says in the description its for automatic trannies. And you're right i'm not sure why there would be any difference in this part auto to manual. thanks for the reply Flecker

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  5.4 KB

Im also seeing sending units both being listed as working for the van that have two terminals and one, was under the impression it only had one?

Name:  8686.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  11.3 KBName:  75327.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  11.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Krab Krust; 02-25-2019 at 02:57 PM.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

You indeed need the larger unit, a sending unit, not a switch.
    That link took me to PS-160 which is not the correct part for a gauge, though it would work fine for idiot light models.

It is a single pin unit and you will need to run a new wire from the new sender to the new pack

And yes, pressure sensors are significantly more expensive than pressure switches.

My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 5 speed dlx 1987 4x4 5 speed cargo 1987 4x4 5 speed LE 1987 2wd 5 speed cargo conversion 1989 2wd auto cargo parts van

Name:  20201205_100718.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  96.0 KBName:  20201205_100548.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  89.0 KB

finally getting around to this swap, i have 87 4x4 manual cargo(no tach), swapping in 1987 4x4 manual not sure if it was LE or DLX...

i do not have IIA as others have noted on my tach cluster, but do have an IG- which does seem to go to the back of the tach. i guess i will try to take the wire from the distributor test port? to this but i dont want to fry the tach if this is wrong..theres also an orange single wire connector on back of tach cluster that im unsure of...could this be tach connection?
    looking at the fsm, it seems the tach gets signal from ignitor?

ok, orange wire must be the different light style of oil level, it had a yellow/black wire going to it..this will get the 'oil w' connection as i think im going to T the sender outlet to include the idiot light as well as guage
    Last edited by boogieman; 12-06-2020 at 11:07 AM.

My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 5 speed dlx 1987 4x4 5 speed cargo 1987 4x4 5 speed LE 1987 2wd 5 speed cargo conversion 1989 2wd auto cargo parts van

Name:  20201206_134213.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  100.0 KBName:  20201206_135206.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  93.4 KB

well ok, that wasnt too bad and im stoked to have a tach!! so i T'd the pressure gauge sender and idiot light and plugged the old idiot light connection into the orange wire single connector to the oil level light so its still doing double duty as oil level and low pressure...

yes, IG- is the same as IIA

could probably tap into the ignitor for tach signal but i guess just as easy at the dizzy test port seeing as you have to run the wire for the oil pressure sender in the same area

there was a total of 10 swapped wires and a few other connections/splices

my notes..maybe could help someone...