Thread: Lift gate (tailgate / rear hatch) mechanical operation

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    '86 LE 2WD

Lift gate (tailgate / rear hatch) mechanical operation

Currently my tailgate is held closed by removing the trim and ratchet strapping the gate to a fixed point inside the van.
    Obviously I'd like a somewhat more functional tailgate, but the cable surround which anchors it to the fixed part of the latch is broken.
    Any ideas on how this can be replaced or fixed?
    Name:  _1060549.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  72.3 KB
    Name:  _1060548.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  74.0 KB

I'm also down to 1 of the 3 original bolts holding the lock onto the gate body, but I'm struggling to find similar bolts anywhere.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 LE automatic

Re: Tailgate latch cable & Bolts

Have you tried pulling it out ( take a lot of pictures) and looking at exactly how it works? Then you can figure out exactly what parts you would need from a donor van. Seems like you can't make it any worse if it is already broken.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    '86 LE 2WD

The 2 broken white plastic pieces are supposed to be part of the cable sleeve and they clip into a fixed point so the cable has something to pull against.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    current - 87 4WD Hi/Lo manual past - 89 LE 2wd. 87 cargo 4WD auto, 87 manual, 87 auto

It's hard to tell from your pictures and description what exactly is broken on your van, but I replaced the rod that connects the exterior handle to the latch with an appropriately shaped and trimmed coat hanger. Took some experimenting and some gently bending, but worked well. Also, I snagged a bunch of the little white plastic retainers that hold the rods in place from a junkyard years ago. Worth doing for sure (grab the bolts while you're there!), as our old vans more often than not need their locks and latches (and everything else for that matter) lubed for proper function, and digging into the doors can easily result in a broken retainer. Typically, though, they're not that hard to make work with a little time, effort, and grease.

Oh, and worth noting, don't forget to re-apply silicone to the plastic vapor barrier. Makes a bigger difference than one might think in terms of comfort and noise.

Good luck!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota Van 2WD YR29LV-PREA VIN JT4YR29V4K5072375

Post Rear Hatch Door Wont Open

Hey Y'all,
    The rear hatch door on my 89' 2WD Van is stuck and wont open. It got stuck after a heavy item I was transporting got loose, rolled back and then hit the door hard. Does anyone know how or have any advice on how I can get it open and fix the problem?
    Thanks, SGT

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Re: Rear Hatch Door Wont Open

Hi y'all,
    I removed the inside panel, thinking I could somehow get to the latching mechanism but I can't see much of anything. Not sure what I was going to do if I did see anything. Anyway... I still can't get the rear door open and am pretty much just waiting for anybody with any suggestions. Thanks, SGT

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Hey SGT - Not exactly a standard problem and this is just a WAG but here goes, I suspect the impact has bent something

The handle isn't able to exert much leverage on the latch portion and if there is any tension on the latch assembly (in relation to the striker) you can break the handle before getting it to open.

I would go to the outside and give it a good (hard?) shove (inward, preferably around the area that took the impact) pull on the handle as the door bottoms out against the body/seal.
    It may take a couple of tries to co-ordinate the motions but you should be able to gain access.
    Once you get it open it should be fairly easy to adjust things to ease the issue in the future.
    (Theoretically the striker is adjustable, assuming you can get the screws loose but there is always the large hammer method of adjustment that'll work in a pinch)
    For what it's worth, I have gotten into the habit of giving the door a little push every time I open it, makes it so much easier with the tension unloaded.
    BB

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    88 Window Cargo, 86 LE

The lever that the outside handle moves to release the latch will bend over time. Pushing hard on the license lamp are (says TOYOTA) and pressure on the hatch while pulling handle may open it. If not you can manually release the latch from inside with the trim panel off.

Take a look at where the handle releases the latch. You will likely see that is bent. It will straighten once or twice. Had this problem for years with my 88

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

You might have something different going on with yours (due to the impact), but these rear hatch handles are notorious for bending internally and becoming ineffective. It can usually be bent back, but each time it gets weaker until it will no longer hold it's shape. I usually reinforce these as shown in this thread: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...for-rear-hatch

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I finally was able to get the door open with an extra set of hands on the door and a whole lot of frustration. While squeezing handle up like one normally would, I jerked the door back hard several times as a friend pushed in near the bottom of the door, just above the striker. Once it opened, I lubricated the latch. Then I removed the striker and elongated the fastening holes with a file before screwing it back on and adjusting the striker back a tad.
    While filing on the striker fastening holes easily, it surprised me that the material was soft. Maybe the striker had been deformed from it's original configuration, thus not letting it be unlatched. Anyway... It all works fine now.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

No need to file. There is a sliding nut plate under the "loop" part of the striker (the part on the bottom of the door frame). Once those screws are loose you can knock it around with a hammer. When you find the right spot just tighten down the screws and it will stay put. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 manual DX

Rear Hatch door handle photo request

Went to replace my rear hatch door handle... lost the photos... Feeling silly again... can't figure out the damn spring in the handle... can I get a pic of someones please so I can put this ting back together?

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd

Re: Rear Hatch door handle photo request

Don't know if it will help; but here is a diagram of the rear door:

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota 4x4

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 manual DX

Thanks guys... It just ended up taking a not so tired set of eyes. Crazy how frustrating a silly little spring can seem, then the next day I could do it with my eyes closed. Time to put some weekends aside to get the van put back together when I have some energy, instead of after 12 hour days of work. Guess how much happens after work... very little. The days are just so beautiful lately the van is easy to put on the back burner. Thanks for the help!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 LE

Re: Lift gate (tailgate / rear hatch) mechanical operation

Didn’t see a solution to this broken part in the thread. It’s the cable that connects the handle mechanism to the latch. Think a bike shop could fabricate one of these?

Name:  5FCB3FB0-10C4-4638-8696-66906D7646F0.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  17.7 KB

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Re: Lift gate (tailgate / rear hatch) mechanical operation

Try the PicknPull in SLC, UT. they’re still showing a van in the inventory. Call and double check before heading out there-

https://www.picknpull.com/vehicle_de...YR28VXJ5064099

Good luck!!

JDM