Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clutch Replacement

My Van(s):
    '85 Toyota 2WD Cargo Van 5 Speed ------------------ '89 Toyota 4WD LE Auto ————————

Re: Clutch Replacement

Hammervan - Do you have a part number from rockauto on that main seal? I think I have it in my cart but I want to be sure.

Are there any how-to posts with pictures for clutch replacement? I see Toyota Truck clutch replacement videos online. Is that pretty similar? Tools needed?
    Last edited by bushcat; 12-12-2017 at 03:30 PM.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

BC - Tim pretty much covered the operation in post #2.
    Its 90% grunt work and is fairly straight forward once you get in there.

As to the rear main, I ONLY use OEM for stuff like that.
    Not saying the AM seals aren't good but I have no interest in saving $20 on a part that takes 6-8hrs to re&re.

My Van(s):
    '85 Toyota 2WD Cargo Van 5 Speed ------------------ '89 Toyota 4WD LE Auto ————————

Do you know what the part number is for the main seal? I'm not too mechanically inclined to know which is the right seal when looking at RockAuto. I think I bought the right one but I'm not entirely sure.

My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 5 speed dlx 1987 4x4 5 speed cargo 1987 4x4 5 speed LE 1987 2wd 5 speed cargo conversion 1989 2wd auto cargo parts van

90311-80003 is the oem toyota part number i believe...rockauto is not going to carry that. youll have to go to dealer or online part source such as toyotapartsdeal.com

My Van(s):

Thanks Hammervan. Looks like I did order the part from RockAuto, I ordered Fel-Pro. Hopefully that's ok, better than not replacing it at all.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    86 2wd auto LE 87 4wd 5spd

Throw out noise after installation

Just replaced clutch pressure plate and throw out bearing , now I have a horrible noise coming the moment I push the clutch pedal it gets worse , subsides after shifting ...arghhhhhhh I double checked everything , didnt put any grese between it and clutch ,,...any clues , good lord I hope I dont have to pull this thing again ...

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    Well, after doing some research I'm a little surprised (and embarrassed) I didn't know that ! I checked the Amsoil Severe Gear and found it's okay to use in all differentials (even those rated for GL4) but it's not recommended for manual transmissions designed for GL4 (which I assume includes our vans). Thinking back, I don't believe I ever put that in a manual transmission rated for GL4, so at least that makes me feel better. When I checked out the Royal Purple, here's what they say about it: "Max Gear is recommended for use in truck and automotive front or rear differentials, manual transmissions and lower gear units of marine engines that specify use of an API GL-5 or GL-4 fluid. It is non-corrosive to soft yellow metals (brass, bronze, copper, etc.) and synchronizer safe".

After reading this I was doing some research on Gear Oils. Might find this study of gear oils sponsored by Amsoil interesting (ranked Royal Purple as an overall 3rd worst out of 14 brands):
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleSquatch View Post
    If memory serves correct the repair manual says you can use GL-4 or GL-5 in the manual transmission van so I feel like the Amsoil might still be a safe option since it's not specifically for GL4 only? Especially after reading the study on Amsoil Severe Gear and how it compared with the Copper Corrosion Test (which was 2nd best in category compared to Royal Purple which Failed GL-5 specifications altogether).

Food for thought!

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Max - did you check the condition of the pilot bearing?
    The only other suspect would be inout shaft bearing

Is this a new noise or one that was supposed to go away with the new clutch?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Regarding the pilot bearing, in the old days they just used brass or bronze bushings between the crank-shaft and the nose of the transmission input shaft. I can see how a bearing is nicer, but since it only rotates while the clutch is depressed, it really doesn't see much action. Even if it were seized I doubt it would make much noise, but I've never seen one seized before, so I can't speak from experience. Does the noise only occur while the clutch is depressed? If you're hearing noise in all gears except 4th, then it's likely a failing input shaft bearing. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van Cargo 4x4 Manual, 1987 Toyota Van Cargo Manual

Hey Team.

1987 4x4 5spd.

I noticed my rear main seal leaking and I would like to do a full clutch replacement and drivetrain refresh. This will be my largest mechanical undertaking to date (on my daily driver no less) and I want to make sure I’ve got the right parts and everything I need before I take this project on.

Parts definitely needed:
    - Clutch kit. Aisin CKT 018. Includes clutch cover and disc, release bearing, pilot bearing and alignment tool
    - Clutch slave cylinder. Aisin CRT 043
    - Rear main seal (aka Rear main bearing seal OR Crankshaft rear seal). Toyota 90311-80014
    - Flywheel housing dust seal. Toyota 11354-71010
    - Clutch release fork boot. Toyota 31126-20060

Parts likely needed:
    - Rear engine mount. Toyota #1230354010. They call this ‘Bracket, engine mounting, rear, no. 1’

Parts I’m not sure about:
    - Engine rear oil seal retainer. Toyota NLA. Would it be alright if I used RTV here?
    - Input shaft seal. I’m confused about what/where this is and if I should replace it during this operation.
    - Output shaft seal. I’m confused about what/where exactly this is and I should replace it during this operation.

Thoughts and feedback would be very much appreciated.

Last edited by MuchaJoe; 11-30-2020 at 02:05 PM.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van Cargo 4x4 Manual, 1987 Toyota Van Cargo Manual

Thanks Buntboot. I was trying to keep my questions to an appropriate thread. ‘Clutch replacement’ seemed like the most obvious candidate! Alas, I’ve answered all my own questions. I tried to delete my earlier post in this thread to keep the clutter down. The forum won’t let me do that so I’m wondering now if an admin might please delete my earlier post in this thread? This one too if you’d like! I hope to share/write up my thoughts/observations on the whole process at a later date.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van

Actually I'd love to see the answers you came up with to your own questions here. I've been following. Need to take on this same job very soon!